• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Stouts

tsmckenney

Mick
Finally, my addiction to IPAs is weaning off and while I still love them, I have begun to enjoy sipping a good stout. For the longest time, I found my desire for stouts to be limited to Founders Breakfast Stout and a couple others. Recently though, a good selection of stouts have come onto the regional market from some great breweries that simply didn't have one yet. Tyranena, for one, is producing a great stout at a much cheaper price than Founders. What else are you guys drinking along the lines of regional stouts? I know there have always been some other good stouts available, such as Youngs, but I'm thinking more along the regional and smaller production lines.

Old Rasputin is is really nice. The Stone RIS is my favorite. I know they really are not regional but they are great stouts.

I'm still on a quest for Some Founders KBS.

Just finished off a Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout that was damn good. I'll second the Old Rasputin as a fine stout.

Just finished off a Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout that was damn good. I'll second the Old Rasputin as a fine stout.

Gotta agree here...I just finished off my last 12th anni last week.

Doesn't sound like it would be good, but Duck Rabbit makes a Milk Stout that is damn good. It's more along the lines of a chocolate stout, but not as heavy.

The Boulevard Dark Truth limited seasonal imperial stout just came out a few weeks ago, and it's fantastic. Hmmmm....might have to pick up an extra one at the store next time I'm there and age it until May. :whistling:

The Boulevard Dark Truth limited seasonal imperial stout just came out a few weeks ago, and it's fantastic. Hmmmm....might have to pick up an extra one at the store next time I'm there and age it until May. :whistling:

Haa ha haaa ha. Haaaa haaa haaa ha. I was thinking the same thing about a couple other beers. :)

Oh man! I love my stout beer. Besides the typical English offerings, I love the following (with some on a fairly regular basis):

River Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout
Dark Starr Stout
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Jefferson Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout
Sam Adams Imperial Stout
Flying Dog Imperial Stout
Boulevard Dry Stout
Buffalo Brewery Blueberry Oatmeal Stout
Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Ten Fidy............ (Just think the price is ridiculous)

Victory Storm King and Stoudt's Fat Dog are two regular offerings from locals near me that I like a lot...both have great aging potential. On a more limited basis, Troegs started bottling their Scratch #15, redubbed "Java Head", which is a big Oatmeal Stout brewed with locally roasted coffee (probably good if you like FBS). Originally it was a winter seasonal in bombers, but now it's going year-round in 12 oz. bottles. Weyerbacher's XIII 13th anniversary ale was a huge RIS that is drinking phenomenally right now, and their regular Old Heathen RIS (and the barrel-aged "Heresy" version) are pretty good, too. On the more sessionable side, Yards Love Stout is a late winter, early spring offering that checks in a 5% ABV.

Victory Storm King and Stoudt's Fat Dog are two regular offerings from locals near me that I like a lot...both have great aging potential. On a more limited basis, Troegs started bottling their Scratch #15, redubbed "Java Head", which is a big Oatmeal Stout brewed with locally roasted coffee (probably good if you like FBS). Originally it was a winter seasonal in bombers, but now it's going year-round in 12 oz. bottles. Weyerbacher's XIII 13th anniversary ale was a huge RIS that is drinking phenomenally right now, and their regular Old Heathen RIS (and the barrel-aged "Heresy" version) are pretty good, too. On the more sessionable side, Yards Love Stout is a late winter, early spring offering that checks in a 5% ABV.

I was disappointed in Java Head as a Troegg Brother offering. Maybe I'll have to give it one more go.

Yesterday, I came across a growler of Blue Point Brewing's Oatmeal Stout for the first time. I guess it helps that I was out shopping maybe 15 minutes from the brewery. Drank it yesterday - nice nutty flavor, real thick - almost like a meal. I wish I could find it more often.

Sam Adams Imperial Stout
Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Ten Fidy............ (Just think the price is ridiculous)

All great beers and while I agree that the price increase for Ten Fidy was bad it's nothing like the original price of the BA BORIS. At $15-18 a bomber if it was sold in 12oz 4packs it would be around $30+.

Others that are awesome:
Southern Star Buried Hatchet Stout
Saint Arnold Winter Stout
Brooklyn Black Ops - yes expensive as hell too but damn good
Weyerbacher Heresy
Goose Island BCS
Port Santa's Little Helper
The Abyss
Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti

And some more:
  • Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout
  • Bell's Java Stout
  • Bell's Kalamazoo Stout
  • Bell's Special Double Cream Stout
  • Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout
  • Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)
  • Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
  • Brewhouse Coffee Stout
  • Satin Solstice Imperial Stout
  • The Abyss
  • Chicory Stout
  • Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout
  • Founders Breakfast Stout
  • Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout
  • Stockyard Oatmeal Stout
  • Black Cauldron Imperial Stout
  • Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout
  • Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout
  • Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout
  • Yeti Imperial Stout
  • Great Lakes Blackout Stout
  • Highland Black Mocha Stout
  • Highland Imperial Black Mocha Stout
  • Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout
  • Class V Stout
  • Left Hand Oak Aged Imperial Stout
  • Dragonslayer
  • Moylans Dragoons Dry Irish Stout
  • Old #38 Stout
  • Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
  • Santa's Little Helper
  • The Lost Abbey - Serpents Stout
  • Rogue Chocolate Stout
  • Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)
  • Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout
  • Saranac Vanilla Stout
  • Siberian Night Imperial Stout
  • Black Sun Stout
  • Moloko Plus
  • Mackeson Triple XXX Stout (Milk Stout)
  • Love Stout

That's a good list. Bell's Double Cream Stout has always been another favorite of mine. I'll have to check out Rogue's Chocolate Stout.

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti

Find this one if you can, and you like the chocolate stouts. I drank one of these a couple weeks ago and liked it so much that I’ve went back a couple of times and bought more of it.

Brewdog's Paradox (whiskey barrel aged Stout)
Old Rasputin (we got this as one of our BJCP evaluation beers)
Rogue's Shakespeare (I believe their Chocolate Stout is the Shakespeare Stout with chocolate extract added)
St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout
Young's Double Chocolate Stout

These are all delicious Stouts that quickly come to mind. It may be easier to list the Stouts that aren't any good. Rusian Imperial Stouts are one of my favorite styles to brew and to drink.

Did anyone mention Bison Chocolate Stout? I hopew not, because that thing tasted like crap. It was awful. Worst 3 bucks I ever spent. On the other hand, I can't go wrong with Allagash Black (except the new $16 dollar price) and Rogue's Shakespeare Stout.

Perhaps I missed it, but I could swear that Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout has not been mentioned. Blasphemy! :laugh:

I love this stout, to me it is as close to stout perfection as I have experienced thus far. Ten Fidy, while pretty good, didn't live up to the hype in my opinion, especially as expensive as it is. I think that the alcohol bite to it was a bit much (not that I am a sissy, I've had plenty of higher ABV beers that are still smooth as hell), and it drowned out the overall taste. Perhaps a bit of age would change that though.

I agree with Jon that the Allagash Black is a good one. The price is a bit high, but it is damned good none the less.

Did anyone mention Bison Chocolate Stout? I hopew not, because that thing tasted like crap. It was awful. Worst 3 bucks I ever spent. On the other hand, I can't go wrong with Allagash Black (except the new $16 dollar price) and Rogue's Shakespeare Stout.

:laugh: Good to mention those as well.

Minneapolis huh? Interested in trading for some HTF stouts? Would really love me a case of Coffee Bender.

EDIT: HTF as in hard to find in your area. Just checked the cellar and other than Abyss and Sea Monster, I don't really have anything crazy.