• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Summer Beer Review Series

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
Ahhhh Genesee...... As suggested by a couple brothers here, my second review in the SBRS is the often imitated, never duplicated, Genesee Cream Ale. First let's start with a little history and explain exactly what a Cream Ale is..

Cream ale or also referred to as a "creamer," is related to American lagers. They are generally brewed to be light and refreshing with a straw to pale golden color. Hop and malt flavour is usually subdued but some breweries give them a more assertive character. Two examples are Genesee Cream Ale and Little Kings Cream Ale (by Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing.)

While cream ales are top-fermented ales, they typically undergo an extended period of cold-conditioning or lagering after primary fermentation is complete. This reduces fruity esters and gives the beer a cleaner flavor. Some examples also have a lager yeast added for the cold-conditioning stage or are mixes of ales and lagers. Adjuncts such as maize and rice are used to lighten the body and flavor although there are all-malt examples available.

Summer Beer Review Series: Part 2
Beer: Genesee Cream Ale
Type: Cream Ale "Creamer"
Origin: Genesee Brewing Company, Rochester, New York
ABV: 5.1%
Price: $5.00 - 6 pack In CO (regionally much cheaper)
Rarity: 1/10

170650.jpg
170955.jpg

Setting/Pairing: Got home today with a 6 pack under my arm and a delivery from Tampa at my door. I decided to pair this with a TS NO. 50 fresh from the bundle, my first time for both the cigar and beer. Got the camera and went out to the patio to find a pleasant 70 degree evening.

Appearance: Poured a light yellow with a 2 finger head.

Smell: Mildy sweet aroma with some noticeable grain on the nose. Again, not overwhelming but expected for this type of beer.

Taste: This is not your typical domestic beer flavored water, this actually has some flavor. Starts with a dry malt flavor, then the carbonation adds some bite. The finish shows some slight hoppy presence.

Mouthfeel:
Light texture but coated the mouth well, the finish was quite refreshing.

Drinkability:
Goes down easy with little alcoholic presence. Go for it, at $12.99 a 30 pack price isn't going to stop you.

Final Comments:
When I went to my shop to pick this up today I was met by my beer guy who saw the 6 pack in my cart and asked what I was doing with that as it was far different then what I usually buy. I told him I had some friends on the east coast who suggested it and asked him what he knew about it, I'm glad I asked. He said that it was the first beer he ever had which surprised me so he told me the story.. "When I was a kid in the early 70's my dad would get home from work and head to the front porch with a Genesee Cream in one hand and a cheap cigar in the other. One day when I was 9 or 10 I asked him what it tasted like and he said "you tell me" and gave me a sip. It's a memory I will never forget." That pretty much summed up this beer for me, thanks for the recommendation guys.

Rating: 3.0 out of 5. Worth a try and the trip down memory lane for some of you.

172505.jpg

Once again Jonas... Great review! I've never seen this around here, but I'll have to look around!!!

:thumbs:

Nice review Brother, between the beer and cigar reviews. Going after them all, I will soon be broke. :laugh: I too will keep an eye out for it.

Great review man, although in that picture you look like you had just finished off the 6 pack..

I remember as a late teen growing up in CT,. Genee Cream was considered "garbage" can beer. It was always at least one of the kegs at the parties on the "mountain". I always loved it, and eventually when I started home brewing even fashioned my own cream ale. When the "beer craze" of the 90's hit Genee was once again vaulted to it's current status as an excellent and unique variety. While I no longer drink, I will always have fond memories of a coolers filled with ice-cold Genee Creams on the beach.

Another Summer favorite was a tooth crackingly cold bottle of Tuborg Gold.

I can't believe Genny Cream Ale comes in a bottle. I've only seen it in a 30 rack. I always smile when I see this in the packie.

Thank you so much for reviewing Genny!

I think I'm going out to pick some up tonight. For old times' sake.

Vince, I grew up in CT as well and I remember Genny.

Now...when are you going to start on the malt liquor reviews? :D

How about a Haffenraffer 40 to get things started, or maybe the quintessential Colt45. Anyone remember that SNL skit with Billy Dee Williams where he was in a commercial for a malt liquor named "Cold Cocked?"

Wilkey

I have gone through a couple more of these babies and I have to say they are better then I expected. I would much prefer this to any macro like Bud or Coors.

At lunch I will be heading to the store to pick up the next specimen for review. I have a feeling it might be a single carried out in a brown paper bag. :whistling:

There's something perverse and unholy about reviewing Gennie.

Doc.

I have gone through a couple more of these babies and I have to say they are better then I expected. I would much prefer this to any macro like Bud or Coors.

At lunch I will be heading to the store to pick up the next specimen for review. I have a feeling it might be a single carried out in a brown paper bag. :whistling:

Come on "Olde E" 64oz.!!!

I can't believe Genny Cream Ale comes in a bottle. I've only seen it in a 30 rack. I always smile when I see this in the packie.

I had no idea this stuff came in a bottle!
For the tue effect it probably should be consumed from a can!
Any report on the notorious Genny Cream Ale farts? :laugh:
Thanks for the review Jonas!

-Rob

I had no idea this stuff came in a bottle!
For the tue effect it probably should be consumed from a can!
Any report on the notorious Genny Cream Ale farts? :laugh:
Thanks for the review Jonas!

-Rob

:laugh: :laugh: Thankfully no signs yet but I have one left so anything can happen!

There's something perverse and unholy about reviewing Gennie.

Doc.

LMAO...But must admit it brought back a lot of memories!! Does anyone remember Schoenling Cream Ale? Was brewed in Cincinnati by Hudephol, and was the first beer I ever had that came in a "pony" 7 oz. bottle, called "The Little King". They sponsored "The Schoenling All Night Theater" on Saturday nights, B horror flicks until 6:00 AM. The host got thoroughly bombed every week, can't remember his name, probably because I was, generally, in as bad, or worse shape when I watched him.