• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Swisher Sweet buys Drew Estate

I will just sleep the same tonight as I did last night...........fine

personal User said:
Although enjoy several of their cigars, I am not a huge Drew Estate fan and don't really have a dog in this fight. If Drew Estate seeks the level of dog rockets, it will not hurt my feelings.

Same here.  I dig the Liga #9's and the occasional Undercrown, but if they turn the corner, there are lots of other sticks I'm completely happy with.

What I haven't really enjoyed is the prices they have risen to.  There are some crazy hard core DE folks out there that will pay stupid over retail prices for DE stuff.  Not this guy.....

BlindedByScience said:

Although enjoy several of their cigars, I am not a huge Drew Estate fan and don't really have a dog in this fight. If Drew Estate seeks the level of dog rockets, it will not hurt my feelings.

Same here.  I dig the Liga #9's and the occasional Undercrown, but if they turn the corner, there are lots of other sticks I'm completely happy with.

What I haven't really enjoyed is the prices they have risen to.  There are some crazy hard core DE folks out there that will pay stupid over retail prices for DE stuff.  Not this guy.....

Their Liga Privada pricing is insane...

Great cigars IMO, but for that money 9/10 times I'm holding a Padron...

I just picked up a fiver of dirty rats at $75 including shipping because I have never had one, and wanted to try them under current practices. One of the main things being they are in a vitola I really enjoy and which is hard to find.

Frankly, cannot imagine paying that price for them again in the future. Will see how they smoke.

More and more, if I'm going to be hitting that price point would rather smoke a CC.

personal User said:
I just picked up a fiver of dirty rats at $75 including shipping because I have never had one, and wanted to try them under current practices. One of the main things being they are in a vitola I really enjoy and which is hard to find.

Frankly, cannot imagine paying that price for them again in the future. Will see how they smoke.

More and more, if I'm going to be hitting that price point would rather smoke a CC.

Kid Montana dropped me some excellent Unicos in the Newbie Sampler and I went on a binge for about a month therafter smoking every vitola I could find in the Local B&M... Damn fine sticks, you'll love them IMO...  I believe it has the same construction as the T-52 which I reviewed and found to be quite excellent...

Does this impact Joya de Nicaragua as well?   I don't smoke a lot of JdN's but there are a few I enjoy when I want a head spinner for a decent price.

I've had a few Undercrowns (thanks, John, for my first one!) and I would definitely be a repeat buyer.  I've honestly not had anything else from DE aside from a Java, which I enjoyed for what it is, and a Kuba Kuba which nearly made me vomit... and not from the good nic-sick way!  I really want to try the KFC MUWAT, but my world won't be crushed if I don't get around to it.

I'm not a big DE smoker, as a brand, but I do recognize that this is a historical event in our relatively small niche world.  Though it doesn't affect my smoking or buying habits (or sleeping habits, as it were), I'm not exactly as ambivalent to it as some of you guys.  It's a big happening.  It's not exactly on par with the maybe-someday embargo rescinding, but it's big news and worth paying attention to as a cigar smoker.

It would be nice if JD came on and told us how things might be effected on the future.

I'm sure he will be around in the future.

personal User said:

I've seen the true believers pay $25.00....a stick for pigs.  Just insanity....IMHO.

I've been buying Undercrown and Tat Fausto almost solely for the past few years. Throw in a MUWAT every once in a while and some #9 if I can find a good deal. I'll be pretty upset if Undercrown change, but there are other options out there. KFC is on my list, but I won't be too put out if I don't get to it. 

JHolmes763 said:
I've been buying Undercrown and Tat Fausto almost solely for the past few years. Throw in a MUWAT every once in a while and some #9 if I can find a good deal. I'll be pretty upset if Undercrown change, but there are other options out there. KFC is on my list, but I won't be too put out if I don't get to it. 
I agree with you on the Undercrown.  That's a box I'll be purchasing (again) in the near future to ensure I have some to smoke on down the line.

I think it's obvious why they did this deal. It was so they could have the cash to hire the gentleman's mustache guy as their head roller.

personal User said:

.......I think some skepticism is warranted, but not the outright panic some of the DE diehards are expressing.....

Not necessarily. There is actually the possibility that the increase in capital reserves may increase productions levels or quality. Unless provided evidence to the contrary, I don't see anything other than "wait and see," as being a fair response.........
While no one doubts the possibility that things may in fact improve, I agree with BBS that some skepticism is warranted. While I am not aware of any empirical evidence either way, anecdotal evidence and general observations on my part have been that more often than not such a takeover may well result in better financials for those involved in the takeover as far as product is concerned it appears that frequently product quality and selection suffer.

If this results in improved quality of product you will be able to count me as pleasantly surprised.

Great response! I suppose my view is premised on a bit of optimism. 

My view is based on whether or not it is an even or odd numbered day!

On even numbered days, I am a skeptical cynic. On odd numbered days, I am a cynical skeptic. :)

Let the gimmicks begin...

ScreenShot2014-11-07at95343AM_zpsebfbf133.png

Wow. We'll if you can't find Pappy, the cigars will do - LOL. Now if they can just come up with the same scheme like Pete and really make these hard to find like Pappy - they'll have a winner but not for me. You've got to be kidding me. ???

....you know, it's not really out of character for DE and Acid specifically, but somehow it just feels....wrong.

Agreed, it's taking one of the most sought after and hard to find names in the whisky game and putting it on a mass produced flavored cigars.