• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

TABOADA.....Myth, hype, last word?

alpi57

I am new the site and have seen many threads regarding Rodolfo Taboada. Pros, cons and everything in between. After reading a few of these I felt compelled to put in my two cents.
I have been traveling to the Island for at least five years, almost every 3-4 months. I got to know Taboada on my second trip. In the beginning, I found him to be aloof, quiet and dignified with an air of snubbishness. I liked that about him as most true artists are that way. I also saw many other torcedores there that would even do a back flip to get you to buy something from them. Not him. He was and always has been a take-it-or-leave-it personality. I got to know him and his family better in my subsequent trips. I found him to be a true human being in every sense of the word.
Now for his abilities as a torcedor. He has rolled cigars for about 48 years. This puts him on top of the piramide as far as experience next to Jose Cueto, Reynaldo, Pepito and such. Having said that, bear in mind that years in the business does not guarrantee talent or knowledge. He has won numerous rolling competitions in Cuba against all these "great" rollers. He retired from the La Corona factory about one and a half years ago. But that is retirement from factory and not from cigar rolling. He still has his private clients from all over the world that keeps him busy. So if you hear that his appearance anywhere in the world is his last one due to his retirement, it is not true. The man enjoys rolling and making money. It is interesting that while in Havana you can go to any of the LCDH,s or the factories, or the farms and mention his name and I have yet to find anyone to say anything remotely derogatory about him. And furthermore, they all unanimously revere him as a master and a great human being.
Onto his cigars, his specialties are Robustos, Salomones, Diademas and Lanceros. Although he rolls other shapes with the same perfection. I have collected his cigars ever since 5 years ago and have compared them to the work of other torcedors and the factory works. They simply do not come close. That has become a benchmark for me as I compare anything I smoke to his cigars. There is a certain complexity about his cigars that I have not found in too many cigars. You start with a certain taste and by the end you have lost track of the many pleasures it has brought you.
To the nay-sayers, you cannot judge till you try. Period. And then you will be a changed person. Forever. By the way his cigars and for that matter all Habanos taste different in Cuba than here or anywhere else. Call me crazy but until you go there and experinece it you will not understand what I am talking about.
As for the prices that are charged for his cigars in LCDH Tijuana and other places, they are high. I myself would not pay those prices because I can go right to the source in Havana and get them for a fraction of the cost. But when you factor in the cost of the trip and many obstacles you endure to bring them in, well......maybe they are not so high. Then again I have seen $50-70 for Opus X,s. So go figure!
I would love to answer any questions about him, his abilities and his history. Feel free to come and discuss.
Enjoy.

Jon

Great information, Jon. You've answere many of my questions about Taboada. However, I'd like to know more about you. I'd advise you post a one paragraph cigar related bio in the Introductions forum. You do sound like someone I'd like to get to know.

Great information, Jon. You've answere many of my questions about Taboada. However, I'd like to know more about you. I'd advise you post a one paragraph cigar related bio in the Introductions forum. You do sound like someone I'd like to get to know.

What he said! Welcome!

So, Jon, when are we going to go to Cuba? I'm ready. Just let me know.

To the nay-sayers, you cannot judge till you try. Period. And then you will be a changed person. Forever. By the way his cigars and for that matter all Habanos taste different in Cuba than here or anywhere else. Call me crazy but until you go there and experinece it you will not understand what I am talking about.

uh... I think that's a bit melodramatic. I've had a number of Taboadas, and I'm not a changed person. Some of the cigars were excellent, others, while well made, were rather uninteresting to me.

Part of the problem is that he's dependent on what tobacco he's given to roll. Sometimes he's given great tobacco to blend from, sometimes he's not.

Then again I have seen $50-70 for Opus X,s. So go figure!

You were robbed.

uh... I think that's a bit melodramatic. I've had a number of Taboadas, and I'm not a changed person. Some of the cigars were excellent, others, while well made, were rather uninteresting to me.

Part of the problem is that he's dependent on what tobacco he's given to roll. Sometimes he's given great tobacco to blend from, sometimes he's not.

Then again I have seen $50-70 for Opus X,s. So go figure!

You were robbed.

You are correct about the the leaves. The best roller with a mediocre tobacco will have dismal results. But if you have his best tobacco there is no substitute. But that is my opinion. Take it at face value.
By the way I would never pay for a an Opus X. An OK cigar at best. I just have seen those prices. No non-Cubans in my stash. ;)

Click - Add Reply...

then onthe top bar click the 'add image" icon(the tree icon)...

Insert URL info.

(the photos will be stored on the URL site..only viewed and referenced here.)

There may be another way...dunno, yet!

No non-Cubans in my stash. ;)

That's unfortunate for you. It'd be like having only French wines in your wine cellar; you're missing out on a whole world of wonderful cigars.

No non-Cubans in my stash. ;)

That's unfortunate for you. It'd be like having only French wines in your wine cellar; you're missing out on a whole world of wonderful cigars.

Once you have a good filet, it is hard to go back to hamburgers. I have tried the rest. I have been smoking for almost 17 years and have developed my taste. Non-Cubans in my opinion are very monotone and non complex. It is like smoking air. But that is matter of taste you know. If those other cigars satisfy your taste buds, then you are on the right track.
To each his own.

Whew ..... I'm glad we skipped the whole French Wines vs. California Wines thingy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:cool:

Why wouldn't we? Everybody knows that French wines are good, and California wines are bad. It's as simple as that.

I have smoked a total of one Taboada, a sublime, while I can't say it changed my life it was a very good smoke. And on to my questions...

What does Taboada do for fun aside from rolling?

What brands of cubans does Taboada really enjoy smoking?

If I was ever in Cuba, where would I find Taboada to roll me a couple cigars?

:)

Why wouldn't we? Everybody knows that French wines are good, and California wines are bad. It's as simple as that.

Yep... French wines and Cuban cigars... everything else is non-complex swill. :rolleyes:

Once you have a good filet, it is hard to go back to hamburgers. I have tried the rest. I have been smoking for almost 17 years and have developed my taste. Non-Cubans in my opinion are very monotone and non complex. It is like smoking air. But that is matter of taste you know. If those other cigars satisfy your taste buds, then you are on the right track.
To each his own.

I have had many a filet, and prefer them to most other meats, but I still enjoy a hamburger every now and again. Same with cigars and wines.
If you ate nothing but filets, how could you make qualified judgements about other meats? Same goes with cigars. I tend to leave my options open to all things.

It all boils down to personal choices.

BTW welcome :)