• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

TABOADA.....Myth, hype, last word?

I have smoked a total of one Taboada, a sublime, while I can't say it changed my life it was a very good smoke. And on to my questions...

What does Taboada do for fun aside from rolling?

What brands of cubans does Taboada really enjoy smoking?

If I was ever in Cuba, where would I find Taboada to roll me a couple cigars?

:)

Funny we were talking about this on my last trip. He is a simple man with simple wants and desires. After being deprived from a personal transportation for almost 40 years he has a car now which he absolutely loves to drive around Havana and some short distance travels. Also enjoys the company of his wife very much and doesn't go out without her.
He is very proud of his work and pretty much rolls his eyes on brand cigars, except one time when I pressured him into telling me while he was still rolling in La Corona factory shop he told me about Saint Luis Rey Serie A Cab 50,s. He was rather complementary of this cigar which is odd for his personality.Indeed, I have to admit it is the most consistent(great) brand Cuban I have ever had. mild to moderate in strength but packed full of flavors.
As for rolling for you while in Havana, you have to call him and unless he recognizes the number on his caller ID he won't answer it. I think he is just keeping a low profile more than anything else.
I hope this helped.

Since I dont think anyone has said this...its all hype so you better send me all your Taboada cigars for proper disposal. :D

I have had many a filet, and prefer them to most other meats, but I still enjoy a hamburger every now and again. Same with cigars and wines.
If you ate nothing but filets, how could you make qualified judgements about other meats? Same goes with cigars. I tend to leave my options open to all things.

It all boils down to personal choices.

BTW welcome :)
[/quote]

I realize my comments come across as a little snubbish but I think after smoking for so long, trying a vast variety of smokes and being fortunate to have tried some incredible cigars and "filets", I am entitled. Having said that, any comments I make here about cigars and etc. is my humble opinion. It is simply matter of taste. You develope a taste for something and nothing else measures up. As simple as that. No need to dwell in mediocrity to count my blessings.

Since I dont think anyone has said this...its all hype so you better send me all your Taboada cigars for proper disposal. :D

Nice try........ :D

I realize my comments come across as a little snubbish but I think after smoking for so long, trying a vast variety of smokes and being fortunate to have tried some incredible cigars and "filets", I am entitled. Having said that, any comments I make here about cigars and etc. is my humble opinion. It is simply matter of taste. You develope a taste for something and nothing else measures up. As simple as that. No need to dwell in mediocrity to count my blessings.

Interesting phraseology. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Welcome.

Wilkey

I got to take a couple puffs off a nub and all I can say is WOW. Generally cigars at that point are nasty if you havent smoked them and this wasnt that way. So its not hype IMHO.

I certainly hope you don't have a story about sailing your boat to Cuba a few times a year. ;)

I've had plenty of mediocre cigars from Cuba... simply being a cigar from Cuba means absolutely nothing in terms of how good the cigar is or isn't. I respect people who say that they enjoy a particular taste profile of a particular line of cigars from Cuba, such as Cohiba whores.

But blanket "I smoke nothing but Cubans" is just silly in the extreme, in my opinion. There is such a wide variety of quality and tastes in cigars from Cuba that it's a meaningless statement. Do you eat only Italian cheese, too, because nothing else is as complex? Never let a dirty piece of Swiss cheese touch your plate?

I've had plenty of mediocre cigars from Cuba... simply being a cigar from Cuba means absolutely nothing in terms of how good the cigar is or isn't. I respect people who say that they enjoy a particular taste profile of a particular line of cigars from Cuba, such as Cohiba whores.

But blanket "I smoke nothing but Cubans" is just silly in the extreme, in my opinion. There is such a wide variety of quality and tastes in cigars from Cuba that it's a meaningless statement. Do you eat only Italian cheese, too, because nothing else is as complex? Never let a dirty piece of Swiss cheese touch your plate?

I wholeheartedly and emphatically agree, Andrew. :thumbs:

Wilkey

Now ..... I do like French cheeses :whistling:

:sign:

.... too much port for me tonight.

:cool:

I'm gonna have to agree on this one. I've had some great cubans and at the same time, I've had the displeasure of some nasty ones as well. Just like I have with NC's. I'm sure we would all agree that both sides has some nasty ass cigars not fit even for a dead homeless man to smoke. :laugh: if you need a list, then you havent tried them all. I'm slowly working on that right now and will have put a big dent into my goal in several weeks.

My first Cohibas I thought wasnt even fit for wiping ones own ass. Many years later, I can enjoy them. Just as with my hate of all AF products at first except for the Hemingway natural line since at the time I never knew they made maduros of those and now i am a AF whore. Neither side offers everything one needs.

You have to have both sides of the scale. Its a nice reality check. one thing I've come to realize in nearly 10 years of smoking cigars. My tastes are constantly revolving and changing. I figure the day that doesnt happen, its time to quit cigars forever and take up my pipes more seriously than I have. At some point, this will happen as well. But since I know myself so well, i dont see any of this happening till my last breath in my body searching for that one cigar or pipe that just completely rocks my world and that nothing else will fit the bill. but thats just my humble opinion on this subject.

Granted Taboada is a great smoke and it reminded me of the first time I had a fresh cuban rolled to what I wanted and then was handed to me while visiting the Davidoff Shop in London back in 2002. Its been one of my most memorable smoking experience. Only thing that would have made it better was if my best friend would have been to experience that same thing. It was never on the level of Taboada, but that cigar will be forever etched in my memory. :)

I got to take a couple puffs off a nub and all I can say is WOW. Generally cigars at that point are nasty if you havent smoked them and this wasnt that way. So its not hype IMHO.

Meaning? You smoked on a nub that did not belong to you? :0 ???

Brian

Dead on Andrew. I just can't figure these Cuban cigar snobs. There are many great cigars that aren't Cuban. It is nonsensical to make a blanket statement like "all Cuban cigar snobs are idiots", I mean, clearly that's just not possible.

NA

[/quote]

Thank god for people like you. You and others like you can consume everything else and leave the Habanos for me. No argument there. I'd take a midiocre Habanos over a Padron Anniversario or a Opus whatever anytime of the day and twice on Sunday. I have close to 450 Opus X.s collected from 1995-96 which I am giving away to friends slowly just to make room for my Cubans. Does that make things clear for you? I bet you will have a nice comeback. Can't wait.
Italian cheese, Swiss cheese........come on. Is that all you could come up with? Pretty weak analogy. And whether you have respect for my taste or not is irrelevant and unimportant.
By the way, I like to know what are your favotite cuban and non-cubans. That would tell me a lot.
Happy happy.

Thank god for people like you. You and others like you can consume everything else and leave the Habanos for me. No argument there. I'd take a midiocre Habanos over a Padron Anniversario or a Opus whatever anytime of the day and twice on Sunday. I have close to 450 Opus X.s collected from 1995-96 which I am giving away to friends slowly just to make room for my Cubans.
Hey Man, addy is in my profile. I'll be happy to trade some of my "midiocre" cubans for some of your Opus. :thumbs:

Thank god for people like you. You and others like you can consume everything else and leave the Habanos for me. No argument there. I'd take a midiocre Habanos over a Padron Anniversario or a Opus whatever anytime of the day and twice on Sunday. I have close to 450 Opus X.s collected from 1995-96 which I am giving away to friends slowly just to make room for my Cubans.
Hey Man, addy is in my profile. I'll be happy to trade some of my "midiocre" cubans for some of your Opus. :thumbs:

Damn it...took the words right out of my mouth. I've only got like 100 Opus. :(

As for absolutes they suck variety is the spice of life.

You like Habanos then enjoy, send all those other cigars to deserving individuals or trade them for ISOMS. I'm sure that there are plenty out there that can appreciate an aged Opus.

And yes I enjoy Taboadas, but they are not worth the asking price, period.

I have close to 450 Opus X.s collected from 1995-96 which I am giving away to friends slowly just to make room for my Cubans. Happy happy.
Sure would like to see a picture of those OPUS X.s . I don't mean this to seem that I doubt your word but, I doubt your word. Pictures please. I wonder what the odds are that you've already given over 400 away?

NA