• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

TABOADA.....Myth, hype, last word?

Crap, I only have half a dozen Opus. I'm pretty sure I can come up with a dozen of what you want for trades though.

I can come up with a 100 to 150 Opus X if that is all good. I cant claim to have over 400+, but I have hopes to change that by next year. :D

Feel sorry for me, I only have 1 :(

I feel so lowly.

Wilkey - Already ran an IP check and he came up clean.

Peat - You're a lucky man. :) I'm down to about 10 or so myself. I'm hoping to change that though. Got a pretty good contact which sells them for about a $1 over MSRP. :thumbs:

I'm gonna have to agree on this one. I've had some great cubans and at the same time, I've had the displeasure of some nasty ones as well. Just like I have with NC's. I'm sure we would all agree that both sides has some nasty ass cigars not fit even for a dead homeless man to smoke.

That's just is, there is no side... they are all just cigars. Some are good, some are bad, some you'll like, some you won't... irrespective of the country of origin.

Thank god for people like you. You and others like you can consume everything else and leave the Habanos for me. No argument there. I'd take a midiocre Habanos over a Padron Anniversario or a Opus whatever anytime of the day and twice on Sunday. I have close to 450 Opus X.s collected from 1995-96 which I am giving away to friends slowly just to make room for my Cubans. Does that make things clear for you? I bet you will have a nice comeback. Can't wait.

Okay. I will trade you all of the Guantanameras and Quai D'Orsays in my collection for all of your aged Opus. Sound good? Don't prefer those brands? But they are Cuban, they must be good!

Italian cheese, Swiss cheese........come on. Is that all you could come up with? Pretty weak analogy. And whether you have respect for my taste or not is irrelevant and unimportant.
By the way, I like to know what are your favotite cuban and non-cubans. That would tell me a lot.
Happy happy.

I have respect for anyone's taste... if you like Cuban Cohibas better than any cigar made outside of Cuba, then that's personal taste, and more power to you. I think Cuban Cohibas are excellent as well, one of my favorite cigars.

Saying "all Cuban cigars are better than non-Cuban cigars" isn't taste, though, it's silly. And indeed, it is degrading to the Cuban cigars that you like, because it denies that there's any difference between, say, a Partagas and a Quintero. I think there's a vast difference personally.

Taste is saying "I like this, I don't like that" -- there's no broad profile of tastes that encompasses all Cuban cigars, so we're not talking about taste here. Illustrating the absurdity through direct analogy:

"I only eat cheese from Italy, everything else is non-complex swill"
"I only drink coffee from Columbia, everything else is non-complex swill"
"I only drink beer from Belgium, everything else is non-complex swill"

These statements ignore the fact that from each country, there are lousy examples of each product, that there are a wide range of tastes available from products of each country, and that there are excellent coffees, beer, and cheese made in other countries.

We here in US of A have been deprived of Habanos for so long that we never developed the taste for them and are not willing to spend the high prices for them and the non-cubans have cashed in with miocre products. The rest of the world agrees on this. Oh, I forgot ......we are the world.

bzzzzzzzt. Many people here know how to obtain Cuban cigars at excellent prices. It's not a matter of deprivation.

Until any of you have taken a trip to the Island and have experienced the best down there, your comments are not validated.
In the meantime if you are happy with your Don Pucho varieties, I am happy for you. That goes for you too Andrew.

Sigh...

Just to be absolutely clear, I love many lines of Cuban cigars. There are also lines of Cuban cigars that I don't like. It's not Cuban vs. non-Cuban for me, it's about the cigars that I enjoy... and I could care less where they come from. I simply take umbrage with broad-brushed statements that make no sense.

Crap, I only have half a dozen Opus. I'm pretty sure I can come up with a dozen of what you want for trades though.

I can come up with a 100 to 150 Opus X if that is all good. I cant claim to have over 400+, but I have hopes to change that by next year. :D

Showoff! ??? :p

Wilkey

Oh Showtime at Peat's Place will be happening soon enough. I just cant help it. I'm so used to Swisher Sweets that anything else is just uncivilized.

And yes Rod, I was very lucky. maybe lucky again and again and again this year. Its gonna be raining Opus X's at my place. :laugh:

Okay. I will trade you all of the...Quai D'Orsays in my collection for all of your aged Opus.

Hey now, I happen to like Quai D'Orsay. :p The Coronas is one of my favorite light-bodied cigars.

I don't have many Opus (trades with you actually account for a good portion of my modest sub-dozen stick stash) but I could send you as many boxes of Phillies Blunt as you'd like. Those are about as non-Cuban as you can get. :D

Wilkey

alpi lied about having 450 OPUS to illustrate his opinion about Cuban tobacco. Do you really need to know any more about him?

NA

Okay. I will trade you all of the...Quai D'Orsays in my collection for all of your aged Opus.

Hey now, I happen to like Quai D'Orsay. :p The Coronas is one of my favorite light-bodied cigars.

I don't have many Opus (trades with you actually account for a good portion of my modest sub-dozen stick stash) but I could send you as many boxes of Phillies Blunt as you'd like. Those are about as non-Cuban as you can get. :D

Wilkey
What'cha got in those Phillies :whistling: :sign:

Man, someone with a more conceited being than myself.. I didn't think it possible... LMAO!!!!

Having been to Cuba, met the master rollers and visited Partagas does not make one an expert. It does however, make one more knowledgable and worthy of an opinion. I, as well as many of my friends have not traveled to the island, but do have much knowledge. I have friends too, who are very friendly with Sr. Toboada, some spending time in his home with his family. He will roll for anyone, provided they have the connections to get to him. He has rolled for many well known people too. His lonsdales that were made for Pablo Escobar are powerhouse cigars. I've had robustos that were so divine I can still taste them. But, I've also had well constructed crap, meaning the leaf was terrible. Two years ago from the TJ rollings, to be exact. Though the Dom Perignon blends were pretty good.

I prefer the taste of a Havana cigar, particulary Cohibas, and would probably rather not smoke than smoke anything else. But, there are interesting Non-Cuban tobaccos out there that do merit some recognition. It's just rare that I would find an opportunity to smoke one.

I like myself and that's all that matters. :) Wanna see my pictures of my opus X's???? :sign:

Do you smoke them before or after a Moontrance? Which one overpowers the other? :)

(BTW, my point wasn't that Quai D'Orsay's are bad... but rather that most people who prefer fuller bodied Cuban like Partagas, Bolivars, etc. never bother with 'em... because they taste nothing alike... and when things taste nothing alike, it doesn't make sense to lump them together).

I prefer the taste of a Havana cigar, particulary Cohibas, and would probably rather not smoke than smoke anything else. But, there are interesting Non-Cuban tobaccos out there that do merit some recognition. It's just rare that I would find an opportunity to smoke one.

What does a Havana cigar taste like? :love:

Well, I can't say if alpi57 has 400 Opus but he has a few less right now after sending me a 3 pack by FedEx no less! The Double Corona is supposed to be 10 years old but besides looking and smelling great I have no way to prove or disprove that claim. Thank you very much, they will be enjoyed greatly :thumbs:

uh... I think that's a bit melodramatic. I've had a number of Taboadas, and I'm not a changed person. Some of the cigars were excellent, others, while well made, were rather uninteresting to me.

I have to agree with Moki here. I have smoked 2 Taboadas now, and though that doesn't make me a professional and in the know BOTL of Taboada, I can tell you that the experience hasn't changed me. If I had to give my experience of smoking a Taboada a rating, I'd say it was a 7 out of 10. The taste was nothing great (seemed a little 1 dimensional), though the rolling job was superb, an 11 out of 10 if you will!

I have heard the same thing that smoking an ISOM in Cuba IS different (most say better) but thats not a privelige that I am wont to take advantage of, being from the good ol US of A.

Thanks for the great amount of information regarding Senior Taboada, however.

Darren