• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

TABOADA.....Myth, hype, last word?

I find myself having different tastes at different times. Sometimes I am on an ISOM kick and sometimes an AF or Padron kick. My tastes change all the time.

Taboadas are among the best I have ever had though. I liked last years run better than this years. The ones I have had from 2004 were also excellent. I have only had the ones that come out of TJ. Taboada claimed that the tobacco he uses in TJ is much better than the tobacco he can get any where else because of the LCDH connection in Cuba.

When I asked Taboada what he smokes he said that he smokes the cigars that his wife rolls. He also said that he does not roll cigars on a regular basis anymore. He said it had been a year since he had last rolled.

Keep in mind that I do not speak spanish and that any communication that I have had with Taboada has been through translation.

Last year's was insanely good. Possibly the best cigar I have ever smoked, without a doubt, in the top 5. I am hoping that this weekend I'll smoke the first of this year's score.

As for absolutes they suck variety is the spice of life.

You like Habanos then enjoy, send all those other cigars to deserving individuals or trade them for ISOMS. I'm sure that there are plenty out there that can appreciate an aged Opus.

And yes I enjoy Taboadas, but they are not worth the asking price, period.

I buy his cigars in Havana from 5-8 cuc or 6-10 usd. Clearly worth the price. But like I said before you have to factor in the cost of your trip and all the hassles you go through to go there and get back.

Gentleman, gentleman. Calm down. Please read my comments carefully. Remember "to each his own", ".....my humble opinion" and such. Cigars are matter of taste. Whatever rocks your world. I offered my experinece of my travels in order to enlighten those who haven't had the chance to go to the Island and meet the man.
I don't particularly take pleasure in turning this thread into a "Hot Topic" over irrelevant comments like "there are plenty of good non-cubans out there". We here in US of A have been deprived of Habanos for so long that we never developed the taste for them and are not willing to spend the high prices for them and the non-cubans have cashed in with miocre products. The rest of the world agrees on this. Oh, I forgot ......we are the world.
Until any of you have taken a trip to the Island and have experienced the best down there, your comments are not validated.
In the meantime if you are happy with your Don Pucho varieties, I am happy for you. That goes for you too Andrew.

Until any of you have taken a trip to the Island and have experienced the best down there, your comments are not validated.
In the meantime if you are happy with your Don Pucho varieties, I am happy for you. That goes for you too Andrew.

If you don't want this to get unpleasant, and you care for your stay here to be a pleasant one, may I suggest that statements like this be kept to a minimum.
This is coming from someone who also vastly prefers the majority of good ISOM cigars to most good n/c's. Your taste in cigars very well might be excellent...your attitude, however......

I can experience the best Cuba has to offer w/out traveling to Cuba.

Your attitude needs some work, either that or take a hike.

I agree with Moki 100%. While Cuban cigars can offer a different flavor, I would not consider them to be the only cigar I smoke, nor the best cigars out there. I've had some mediocre cubans as well, which weren't as good as some Dominicans. Just because they're Cuban does not automatically make them the best.

My favorite line is the Fuente line, particulary the Opus X. There are other "cheaper" cigars which are also very good (IMO) such as La Gloria Cubana, La Aurora, some Gurkhas, etc.

The question I hear most from non-cigar smokers or very new cigar smokers is: "Are you smoking a Cuban?". Most people believe Cubans are the best. Maybe it's because of the embargo, and Cuban's are "hard to get" for the general public. Perhaps that's one factor which people have this preconceived notion that Cuban's are the best.

To fully appreciate a cigar, you have to explore and experience a variety of cigars from different locations, not just one region.

I thought this was "the Island of Cuba" forum. Anyone who doesn't like cubans and loves the non-cuban variety, and you are entitle to it, can leave comments in the " Island of Dominican Republic or Jamaica" forum. My thread did not start with bashing anything. Again and again.....it is my opinion.
If my attitude has offended you, I am sorry. But I don't apologize for what I like just to conform and/or not to rock the boat.

As for absolutes they suck variety is the spice of life.

You like Habanos then enjoy, send all those other cigars to deserving individuals or trade them for ISOMS. I'm sure that there are plenty out there that can appreciate an aged Opus.

And yes I enjoy Taboadas, but they are not worth the asking price, period.

I buy his cigars in Havana from 5-8 cuc or 6-10 usd. Clearly worth the price. But like I said before you have to factor in the cost of your trip and all the hassles you go through to go there and get back.

Gentleman, gentleman. Calm down. Please read my comments carefully. Remember "to each his own", ".....my humble opinion" and such. Cigars are matter of taste. Whatever rocks your world. I offered my experinece of my travels in order to enlighten those who haven't had the chance to go to the Island and meet the man.
I don't particularly take pleasure in turning this thread into a "Hot Topic" over irrelevant comments like "there are plenty of good non-cubans out there". We here in US of A have been deprived of Habanos for so long that we never developed the taste for them and are not willing to spend the high prices for them and the non-cubans have cashed in with miocre products. The rest of the world agrees on this. Oh, I forgot ......we are the world.
So how about those pictures of all them Opus you got? Just a little clickey, don't be a dickey.

NA

I thought this was "the Island of Cuba" forum. Anyone who doesn't like cubans and loves the non-cuban variety, and you are entitle to it, can leave comments in the " Island of Dominican Republic or Jamaica" forum. My thread did not start with bashing anything. Again and again.....it is my opinion.
If my attitude has offended you, I am sorry. But I don't apologize for what I like just to conform and/or not to rock the boat.

Are you really that dim? Or are you a troll?
It's not your opinion nor your taste in cigars that offends (quite the opposite, from your profile, it seems we share many favorites)...it is your crappy and belligerent attitutde. Your half-assed apology didn't help matters.
For someone who has been here for a week to tell experienced members where they may post, and how this board tends to "flow" is offensive.

[/quote]
So how about those pictures of all them Opus you got? Just a little clickey, don't be a dickey.

NA
[/quote]
Neal, Thanks for the laugh.

I'll post some picture of my 400 vintage Garcia y Vega for you later in the crappy cigar forum.

Alpi,

What's with the attitude? No matter how experienced some of the members of this forum are, we're still all here to learn about cigars and further our knowledge of cigars. No one anywhere is the almighty authority of cigars. We can all continue to learn and broaden our knowledge of this hobby.

Don't get all defensive, people are entitled to their own opinion. No one bashed you nor did they bash Cuban cigars. Yes, this is the cuban cigar forum, does that mean we can't compare cubans with dominicans? Does that mean we can only discuss cuban cigars, and not compare them with cigars from other regions? Lighten up. Where did anyone say you can't be entitled to your opinion? Seems as if other members can't be entitled to their opinion if they disagree with you.

Rod

Alpi,

What's with the attitude? No matter how experienced some of the members of this forum are, we're still all here to learn about cigars and further our knowledge of cigars. No one anywhere is the almighty authority of cigars. We can all continue to learn and broaden our knowledge of this hobby.

Don't get all defensive, people are entitled to their own opinion. No one bashed you nor did they bash Cuban cigars. Yes, this is the cuban cigar forum, does that mean we can't compare cubans with dominicans? Does that mean we can only discuss cuban cigars, and not compare them with cigars from other regions? Lighten up. Where did anyone say you can't be entitled to your opinion? Seems as if other members can't be entitled to their opinion if they disagree with you.

Rod

Wise words. Thanks

Alpi,

Rod

Wise words. Thanks
Picures! You know, without some pictures of all them Opus some folks might think you was "guilding the lilly". Don't be a lilly guilder.

NA

Alpi,

Rod

Wise words. Thanks
Picures! You know, without some pictures of all them Opus some folks might think you was "guilding the lilly". Don't be a lilly guilder.

NA

This thread has run its course, I believe. Onto new business.
what is ISOM?

Alpi,

Rod

Wise words. Thanks

NA

what is ISOM?

DING! We have a winner!! oh - linky!

Alpi,

Rod

Wise words. Thanks

NA

what is ISOM?
May I assume you were lying then... about the hundreds of Opus? I do anyway.
NA

Hey Rod,

How about an IP check on Mr. Personality here?

This guy might actually hang out with Sr. Taboada for Cuban coffee and to smoke Sra. Taboada's cigar every other month but if he cares the slightest bit about his impression here, it doesn't show.

You sir are a troll and based on your attitude in this thread, one of only 2 or 3 people I've ever encountered on this board that I hope I never meet in person. I don't think I'd enjoy sharing a smoke with you, Cuban or not.

I apologize to the rest of my brothers...the heat must be making me cranky.

Wilkey

Crap, I only have half a dozen Opus. I'm pretty sure I can come up with a dozen of what you want for trades though.

edit: My pic didn't come through but it ain't worth fixin'.

Crap, I only have half a dozen Opus. I'm pretty sure I can come up with a dozen of what you want for trades though.

I can come up with a 100 to 150 Opus X if that is all good. I cant claim to have over 400+, but I have hopes to change that by next year. :D