• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Taking on a new project!

Gonz

Ultra Runner
I'm sure there's some enthusiasts in the crowd here, check out this sweet father/son project I'll be starting! A '98 BMW M3! A great reason to get out to the garage for a cigar. My oldest will get his license in one year, a family friend was selling this car and willing to give us a good deal. We've got a few projects that need doing, including a new alternator, new cans and headers, subframe bushings, engine mounts and oil pan gasket. Also, we're going to be building a complete custom audio system for the vehicle. Good times!

35487977_10157467377221124_3934611078780026880_o.jpg

Here we are picking up the car from the seller!

Awesome project for father and son. Hope he lets you drive it once in a while!

Not sure BMW's slogan any longer is. "BMW the ultimate driving machine."

But most BMW's are sure fun to drive.

Nice. An M3 has been my dream car for a long while now. I remember one of the first ones I saw that got my blood flowing was a black convertible sitting in the work bay of a friend's car audio shop, getting a custom sound system installed. With the rag top, perhaps lowered, and sitting on some huge rims, that thing looked sweet as anything.

If everything goes well, I might try buying one in the coming years. It'll be my midlife crisis ride.

Awesome project! And, being an M car, you'll certainly have lots to work on together! :)

Very cool, and I hope he knows how lucky he is on so many fronts. Make the bonding time in the garage something special for you both!

Very cool....this will build not only a car, but a lifetime of great memories! I did something similar with my son before he got his licence with a Honda Prelude. Redid the head, comp cams & crank, full T25 turbo kit with cooling, header w/full S/S exhaust, pulleys, hot ignition, new HD clutch, new struts & lowering springs, bigger brakes with drilled & slotted rotors, an imported body kit with a great wheel & tire package, and a major sound system. It was great working side-by-side as we built the car over 6-8 months. To be honest, it was an excuse for me to get back to turning wrenches (had been over 25 years) like when I was a kid street racing. My son learned a lot about cars and we talk about that experience and that car to this day.

But in hindsight, probably not the best vehicle to hand my kid as his first car...it scared the crap outa me. :eek:

Last edited: