• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Taking the plunge with this humidor

I do not see why refrigiration is not possible. If I can go to Target and buy a wine fridge for 99 bucks that has thermoelectric cooling, I do not see why they could not tack on 99 bucks to one of these jobs and add the cooling. The only real challenge would be convincing the makers to do this.

The Stripper and Scotch equipped model i think would require some additional work, lol.

You make an excellent point. I don't know what else would be required (insulation, etc) to use the thermoelectric unit fromt he winefridge in a less expensive cabinet humidor. If it DOUBLED the price of the cabinet, I would still buy one. I wonder who we mihgt be able to chat with about the market for them to perhaps justlfy them making such a model. Now THERE's a group buy that I would love to see, to get a bunch of them made.

Edit: as for the stripper and scotch model...well, just like with humidors, it seems, you can get whatever you want if you have the money...

I'm sure Bob Staebell can chime in about why the cooled units cost so much. I think he told me the Peltier he uses by itself costs many times more than the $99 those fridges go for. Plus the labor to integrate it, plus the cost of additional insulation, more testing, etc...

My main point here is that I think this cabinet looks much better with the matching "crotch Mahogany" veneer, than a glass door. Visually, it brings the whole unit together better.

When I bought my humi, I never even considered a glass door. I went with a solid door for the following reasons:

1. I don't think a jumbled stack of cigar boxes in Rubik's Cube fashion is a great interior design element

2. I don't want everyone to see the cigars I have in there. That's what the moochidor is for.

3. Light = heat = enemy of cigars. Moreso because I live in a hot, sunny climate.

JK

JK

Maybe we can speak to cheaphumidors, I doubt we could get this done real quick since there would be some need for electrical design, but it would sure be cool.

Agreed on both of the above posts...Bob Staebell's units are surely of a much higher quality than the walmart wine cooler one, of this I had no doubt. But it would be nice if cheaphumidors could put some together...who knows...maybe someone reading this right now has the ability to do this.....

I e-mailed cheap humidors, but I agree with the post before mine that the electrical work would be expensive, and how good would it be? But on the other hand it does not hurt to ask. I will let you know if I hear anything.

K

Very cool posts. I agree totally. I think there is room in the market for a cheaper priced unit and would love to see one. If it were twice the price of that box with built in temp control, I'll bet they would sell a ton.

I'm glad I foudn this thread since I need to get another humidor. But I have to ask...Is all their humidors pretty good cuz I do not want to have a crap shoot here. Just let me know since I have been cruising there site for 2 days now. :0

Wow, I actaully got a response pretty quickly from Dave at Cheap Humidors, and it does not look good.

Here is Dave's response to my question about the cooling
Hello,

Yes, we used to have a large box, but we discontinued that model. That is funny regarding the cooler inside the humidor, I had been working with a designer on something like that, but the cost associated was very high, so I elected to not do it.

Dave

So looks like no soup for us.

- K

Too bad. Cool to hear that you got such a fast answer, though...even if it wasn't the one we wanted.

http://www.inbthermoelectric.com/ACsystems.html Something i found today just googling TEC coolers and Peltiers. Seems like a self-contained unit that could be retrofitted to the backside of a humidor. And since it uses fans, it also helps with air circulation. Who knows what the price of one of these jobs is, but it might be worth looking into! :thumbs:

-Zach

50thVert said:
http://www.inbthermoelectric.com/ACsystems.html Something i found today just googling TEC coolers and Peltiers. Seems like a self-contained unit that could be retrofitted to the backside of a humidor. And since it uses fans, it also helps with air circulation. Who knows what the price of one of these jobs is, but it might be worth looking into! :thumbs:

-Zach
[snapback]253251[/snapback]​
I looked into these myself. I believe they were in the $1200 range :(

EDIT: I'm sorry, it was this unit I was looking at similar website name. I was inquiring about a 500btu unit...

http://www.thermoelectric.com/2002/pr/ssac/ahp/ahp-1200.htm

This is the email he sent me...
Allen,

The AHP-1200HC, part number 0-3030-1-000, costs $1,125.00 each.

We do not use distributors, all of our products ship direct from our Chicago factory.

Would you like a formal quote? Please provide your company contact information, and I will be glad to prepare one for you. Thank you for your interest in TECA products.

Sincerely,

Emily Mikalauskis
Customer Service Representative

what is the weight for this humidor?? I may have an idea for Swifty

I also am a proud new owner of this unit. It is very nice, solid wood, pretty graining and finish on the exterior. It also comes with an electric box that fits in the back with two outlets (light and oasis). I am using beads about 3/4 lbs. It came three days before a 3 week trip, so I just wiped it down with a wet sponge, soaked some cigar box cedar strips in water and a small lid filled with water for the beads. For the first three days, it soaked up quite a bit of water, but never dropped below 60%. I was afraid to put cigars in it without anyone to check on them, so I just left a shot glass of water and the beads in it and left when I returned 25 days later it was at 62 degrees and 64% RH. This was with it completely empty, no boxes, cigars or anything, so I think it holds the humidity pretty well.

I then filled it with the small amount of cigars I have. Which was 5 partially filled boxes and 4 empty boxes and about 40 loose cigars in the drawer. When I checked it tonight it was at 61.6 degrees and 64% RH. The lid and shot glass were almost dry, I had filled them on last Friday. But I live in NM and the house RH is in the low teens and 20's right now. So, needless to say I am quite pleased with it. It has a solid feel to it and also has adjustable door hinges and also has a foam/rubber lip around the door to aid in sealing. The one place I may work on further is the humidor opening in the back where the electric supply bos is installed. I used foam weather stripping to attmpt to seal the edges around the box and for the most part was succesful. I have the 70% beads but I hardly ever get to 70 due to the temp and the dry conditions I live in. Overall very satisfied with it, now on to the task of filling it.

On the bid price, as you know you cannot bid more than 20% less, I offered about 15% less and was accepted. Then the shipping was $56. I think it is a great price and it is a fine end table, really the only way I was going to get this large of humidor and have my lovely wife agree. She is very happy with the look of the piece as an end table.

smokelaw1 said:
I would also like to see it come stocked with ISOMs, aged PAMs, and a stripper serving me single malt....hell, as long as we're dreaming...right? ;)
[snapback]248190[/snapback]​

Why stop at just a stripper?

Ok, its gone from a dream to a reality. Just received this email today:

Delivery Information

In Transit -
On Time

Sched. Delivery: Dec 15, 2005
Shipped to: KENMORE, NY, US
Service Type: GROUND

Pee pee dance has commenced! But damn, this thing weighs 85 lbs!! :0
Looks like I'll be smoking with a back brace on!!! ???

Hey Ironworker, how did you get this thing into the house? Forklift? :laugh:

Did anyone else who ordered this get their shipping confirmations today?

Excited beyond comprehension,
Darren

I have been looking at these as well and all I have heard is positive responses. I'm not a glass door fan, the prying eyes thing, But hey they are a very good looking piece of furniture. :D

I bought the big 3000 ct one from them and I love it. It works perfect. You can see it in the link in my sig tag. Although the cigar arrangement has changed a bit since that pic was taken. :laugh:

I use a Cigar Oasis II in place of some of the drawers and a regular Cigar Oasis on the top shelf.

I also have a 600 ct cabinet unit I got from them and it works perfect too. I just use a Cigar Oasis Plus in it.

These are very very nice units for the money! :thumbs:

Thanks PT, now you have made me jealous.

Ordered mine a few weeks and have been emailing Dave about some quuestions. Email last week said they were in customs.

Must be patient, Must be patient.......

PTownshend said:
Ok, its gone from a dream to a reality. Just received this email today:

Delivery Information

In Transit -
On Time

Sched. Delivery: Dec 15, 2005
Shipped to: KENMORE, NY, US
Service Type: GROUND

Pee pee dance has commenced! But damn, this thing weighs 85 lbs!! :0
Looks like I'll be smoking with a back brace on!!! ???

Hey Ironworker, how did you get this thing into the house? Forklift? :laugh:

Did anyone else who ordered this get their shipping confirmations today?

Excited beyond comprehension,
Darren
[snapback]261149[/snapback]​

Yea, what he said... I got the same message from cheaphumidors.com yesterday. Same delivery date too :) (only the names and locations have changed to protect the innocent).