• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Evil Dr. Moki's Group Blind Taste Test #1

I had one of what I 'thought' it was.....I was not correct! :angry:

As a matter of fact....no 4 may have been better than my guess. ???

Heheheh I don't even remember what #4 looked like and I accidently deleted my copy of the review I sent Moki. As always... *pins and needles*

Cigar #4, Cuban Bolivar Gold Medal, 2007 (6.5" x 42) - premium

cigar4_group_blind.jpg

Image courtesy of enerjay

bfreebern said: Nice reddish-brown wrapper, no major veins. A pre-light draw was perfect. Cinnamon/peppery/spicy/raisin tastes come through. Cigar produces a dense white smoke with a wonderful aroma. Wasn't too strong, as I enjoyed it in the morning. The ash was grey and black, solid and firm, and had no problem hanging on.

bfreebern guessed: Origin: Dominican - Price: Super premium - Age: 5 years - Marca: Opus X - Rating: 8/10

BlindedByScience said: Nice, dark brown wrapper on this one. Measures just over 5/8” in diameter putting this one at a 40 / 41 ring. Length, sans cap, is a tiny fraction over 6”; call it 6 1/16” or about 154mm. Some spice comes through in pre-light tastes, along with solid, mature tobacco tastes. Draw is a little tight but it’s the smoking that counts, right?

Started off with a nice, smooth, creamy almost buttery note that gave way at about the ¼ point to a very pronounced, grassy taste that carried through to the end. Started to burn hot, perhaps a little bitter, maybe even a slightly metallic taste in the back third. Burn and draw were acceptable, but not perfect; a couple of touch ups were required.

Overall, this was “OK” but not “great”

BlindedByScience guessed: Origin: Nicaraguan - Price: Everyday - Age: 2 years - Marca: Hoyo de Monterrey - Rating: 6/10

Brickhouse said: Ugggg....not happy to report it, but I did NOT like this cigar. Nothing about it appealed to me, not the light, not the draw (too tight), not the burn (constantly correcting), not the amount of smoke, and not the taste. I wasn't into it from the first puff. I lit it, then drew, and immediately thought, man I hope this gets better......it didn't.

Brickhouse guessed: Origin: Mexico - Price: Budget - Age: 1 year - Marca: Te-Amo - Rating: 3/10

enerjay said: Yet another MILD cigar. Lots of earthy tone to this one, wood, grassy I would not say cedar. The earthy tones only became strong as the cigar went on

enerjay guessed: Origin: Honduran - Price: budget - Age: 2 years - Marca: EXCALIBUR - Rating: 6/10

insight said: I had a lot of trouble with this one. The cigar started off with a mild nutty flavor and initially reminded me of Don Pepin of some sort. As the cigar progressed, the nuttiness was accompanied by a tobacco flavor similar to cigar #3 which started some cogs turning in my head. Some hints of leather crept in throughout the smoke and in the latter half there was lots of spice. I am not sure if I was just having an off night but pinpointing the origin and marca has me pretty baffled this time. At points in the smoke I was reminded of flavors I have found in RyJ Cazadores and the vitola was almost right, but not quite there. At other times I was brought back to the bolivar profile, catching hints of things I have tasted in the 06 BGM batch but missing the complexity I have experienced with the BGM. Overall I enjoyed the smoke regardless, and I would smoke it again.

insight guessed: Origin: Cuban - Price: Premium - Age: 1 year - Marca: Bolivar Gold Medal - Rating: 7/10

grateful1 said: Nice draw - a little plug that was easy to loosen. Floral undertone yet rich tobacco and a little choco.
If this is a Tat...I'll have to smoke more brands! Burn was perfect all the way down. A little 'sharp on the tastebuds....but not highly acidic(more as the cigar ended). it finished 'odd'! 2005 Monte EL! That's my final answer! too floral for a BGM!

grateful1 guessed: Origin: Cuban - Price: premium - Age: 3 - Marca: 2005 Monte EL - Rating: 8/10

NorCalCigarLover said: 6 1/4 inch, 44 ring. Rough looking, medium reddish/brown wrapper with dark spots and goosebumps. As rugged as this cigar looks the wrapper is perfectly applied. Mmmm …. Smells like a trip to the farm. This cigar was like smoking two different cigars. The first half was all front palate lighter tastes with a bit of sweet wood and almost creamy. But at about the middle of the cigar it changed dramatically, it was now all mid palate, strong, harsh, almost too harsh, with a lack of flavors. The draw was tight through out the cigar which may have added to the harshness that I was experiencing. All in all not a high scoring cigar for me.

NorCalCigarLover guessed: Origin: Nicaraguan - Price: everyday - Age: 3 Years - Marca: Tatuaje - Rating: 3/10

sinnyc said: This appears to be well constructed Lonsdale with a finely veined chocolate-toned wrapper and a good pre-light draw. Initial tastes are nutty/caramel and slight pepper on a nice, full mouth of smoke. Once it settles in the ash shows as a somewhat flakey medium gray shot through with black which lasts about an inch and a half before falling off due to a slightly uneven burn. The strength is a pleasant medium and the flavors are the same. The initial pepper taste disappeared almost immediately and the creamy/nougaty honeyed vanilla that I associate with many Cubans has come to the fore. There is something else in there – a hint of barnyard/grassiness? – and just a “tip of the tongue” spice on the finish. I am digging this smoke.

As we get to the halfway point the burn has almost evened itself out – twice, heheh. The spice on the finish is getting a bit more pronounced and the overall strength has intensified a bit but the primary flavors remain as mentioned above. It stayed this way down to ¾ of an inch when I let it go. Nice cigar.

This could be a Montecristo although it also rings some Vegas Robaina bells for me. The fact the burn is a bit inconsistent leads me to think more Monte than VR though I don’t feel either one is right. Now that I think about it, this could be a Johnny-O, too: it seems young yet is still tasty, it has minor construction issues that don’t require touching up, and its flavors are a quite good but a bit unruly. Hmmmm.

sinnyc guessed: Origin: Cuban - Price: Premium - Age: 2 years - Marca: Johnny-O - Rating: 8/10

Smokyballs said: Honey, carmel, powdered sugar. Dry fruits, sweet and tasty for the first half. Second half comes on like a freight train. Strong espresso, ancho chili and raw cinnamon.

Smokyballs guessed: Origin: Cuban - Price: Premium - Age: 6 years - Marca: Cohiba - Rating: 10/10

tone-ny said: This cigar had an initial draw problem and its ash was a medium grey in appearance. Burn was even and consistent throughout and opened up about an inch of the way through with a gentle prod.

Initial light produced a slight harshness and strong spice that calmed down after the first inch. This cigar reminded me of the recent batch of Bolivar Gold Medals 2006-07. This cigar was young, with a slight bite but with much potential. There was a slight hint of ammonia but pleasant all the same. The nose was strong but I was able to enjoy it to the end, which I nubbed. If it is a BGM it is not a 2004 version as it had too much of a bite to it, reminiscent of my beloved BRC.

tone-ny guessed: Origin: Cuban - Price: Premium - Age: 1 year - Marca: Bolivar Gold Medal - Rating: 7.5/10

Results Summary

Origin: 5 Cuban, 5 non-Cuban

Price: 2 budget, 2 everyday, 5 premium, 1 super-premium

Marca: Bolivar: 2, Opus X: 1, Hoyo de Monterrey: 1, Te-Amo: 1, Cohiba: 1, Johnny-O: 1, Tatuaje: 1, Excalibur: 1, Montecristo: 1

Rating: High: 10/10, Low: 3/10, Average: 6.65/10

Cigar #4 was actually a: Cuban Bolivar Gold Medal, 2007 (6.5" x 42) - premium

Who nailed it: tone-ny, insight

Commentary

What can I say? Another VERY interesting blind cigar review! Without the shiny gold medal to be drawn to, our reviewers were equally divided between Cuban and non-Cuban for this cigar. Kudos to tone-ny and Insight, who both absolutely nailed this cigar, in terms of country of origin, marca, and even year! Well done boys!

We saw an interesting mix of marcas that people thought this cigar might be. Grateful1 actually guessed Bolivar Gold Medal, and then tragically amended his review to change his final guess to something else. I guess that just goes to show you how hard it can be to identify tastes.

We saw more different marca guesses for this cigar than any other cigar in the test so far, with 9 different marcas represented. Interesting, indeed!

Read over the reviews, there were once again quite a range of impressions and words used to describe this cigar.

Well done guys... #5 is coming down the pike soon... don't worry, tone-ny, hopefully we'll find you a dog rocket soon. :)

Nice! Its like Meatloaf says....2 out of 3 ain't bad

Very interesting. This cigar has been so variable. I have several codes and all of them are different ranging from thin and metallic to rich and leathery. This is a real problem with this release, IMO.

Wilkey

Wow, I just got served.

I've only ever had 1 BGM, but I loved it the first time. This time I borderline hated it. But hey, I called it like I saw it. Maybe it was that Gold wrapper the first time that tricked me into enjoying it. :blush:

Funny thing is, this is literally 1 of 2 cigars I was looking to buy a box of.....now, not so sure. I'll definitely have to smoke another before I make that leap.

I did have about 8 beers before smoking this one, but that usually has no impact on my taste, if anything I usually enjoy ANYTHING I smoke after 8 beers.

Oh well...back to the drawing board.

Wow, I just got served.

I've only ever had 1 BGM, but I loved it the first time. This time I borderline hated it. But hey, I called it like I saw it. Maybe it was that Gold wrapper the first time that tricked me into enjoying it. :blush:
....yep. What Wyatt said. Pass the humble pie this way, please... :blush:

Oh well, I still have time to redeem my taste buds, or to permanently ruin my tasting reputation...... :laugh:

Thanks again, Moki - B.B.S.

This has become quite an interesting taste test. Especially love the hit and misses of the BGM guesses.

Very interesting reviews. I've had similarly varying experiences with my BGMs, from sublime to metallic to plugged, many from the same box. Mirrors also the experiences of my friends who've tried these. Some have hated them, others have loved them. Thankfully form me, I've experienced more sublime examples than bad ones.

Oh well, I still have time to redeem my taste buds, or to permanently ruin my tasting reputation...... :laugh:

Chin up mang! This isn't about who gets the most right... the real value is in the reviews people are writing. Incredibly interesting, and I think whether you get the cigar "right" or not is the least interesting thing.

I wish I had more time. I would like to write longer reviews. I smoked the cigar last night and really rushed through it to get my review in time. I agree it is about the process and not if you can guess the cigar. Thanks again for letting me play Mokster!

Chin up mang! This isn't about who gets the most right... the real value is in the reviews people are writing. Incredibly interesting, and I think whether you get the cigar "right" or not is the least interesting thing.
No worries; that sounded gloomier than intended. Just would like to smack one out of the park..... :laugh:

This isn't about who gets the most right... the real value is in the reviews people are writing. Incredibly interesting, and I think whether you get the cigar "right" or not is the least interesting thing.
Very interesting indeed Moki.

I love this cigar, smoked several and not a bad one yet.

What amazes me is that Wyatt and I were discussing this cigar recently, he told me that he absolutely loved it ???

Well done to tone-ny and Insight.

Brian

insight guessed: Origin: Cuban - Price: Premium - Age: 1 year - Marca: Bolivar Gold Medal - Rating: 7/10

Quite a nice piece of work I must say.

I have smoked 4 or 5 of these and even the color was way of the ones that I have.

Sure does make you think. :blush:

Moki....why I asked you to SWITCH what I thought it was....I'll never know!

Actually - it was because I went with looks....the cigar was very dark.

It was a very good smoke!

Moki....why I asked you to SWITCH what I thought it was....I'll never know!

Actually - it was because I went with looks....the cigar was very dark.

It was a very good smoke!

meh... if you like Te-Amo's. ;)

...and Brickhouse... 8 beers? You don't fall over and vomit after pounding 8 beers? :)

Wow, lol. I was on the fence with this one. The reddish/dark wrapper threw me off. This one tasted aged to me, it was very mellowed out.

Nicely done Insight and Tone-ny :thumbs:

Thanks Andrew for this experience.

Cool, a cigar I like that is not vintage or impossible to find ;)

I had never smoked a BGM and coincidentaly I had a fiver of these delivered about a week ago so this was a great introduction to them. I didn't taste a ton of similarities between this and the Belicosos Finos and Coronas Gigantes I have had but I am not complaining. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

- Tim

All reviews for Cigar #5 are in... except for Grateful1's... hopefully Gary will get his review in tomorrow!