• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The fifty best cigars list

gardkarlsen

Hi

I found a page that lists what's supposed to be the 50 best cigars: http://www.thefiftybest.com/cigars/best_cigars_01.htm . Is there any point in such a list as I assume cigars are like everything else: "different strokes for different folks" :laugh: But will it make sense for me as a newbie to use a list like this when I want to buy cigars?

LOL that website is just funny. La gloria cubana figurado (NC) in the top 5?! Hell no.

Guides can be helpful, but that's just full of crap and based on that author's opinion (clearly). I would use a more popular magazine: cA (although I dont fully agree with them, they are better then that website) or Cigar Magazine to help you out. Or just ask the fine BOTL on this website...it's why we're here!

Some good cigars on that list and some questionable ones, but it's all subjective. My top 5 aren't even on the list....

Short answer: No.

You'd be better off asking the fine folks on CigarPass or your local tobacconist.

I read the write-up on the Oliva Series O. Aren't they confusing the two Oliva families? And Rocky Patel a "true boutique brand"? I guess I'm ignorant of the meaning to boutique brand.

I'd take that website with a very small grain of salt.

The advice above to ask folks here is VERY GOOD IMO.

One excellent way to do that and taste what is recommended is to do a "Newbie Trade" with one of the veterans here. They are all really good guys and will help you out. Believe me, you will not regret it! (The best $100 I ever invested in this pastime.)

I agree to ask folks here. THat list and a similar one from Cigar Aficionado are what they are, several people's opinions. Even if those lists aren't tainted by advertising revenue (and most believe that they are) they are worth no more than my best 50 list or the list of anyone else here.

This is a hobby you have to explore for yourself. Guidance on where to go and what to try are great but in the end the cigars you choose as your "go-to" cigars can only be chosen by you..........you're the one who will be smoking them.

Cheers and welcome to a great hobby.

I can give you MY list... but it won't be the same as YOUR list. ;)

No way to get around it... try them all.

I read their list, and while you are correct that taste is very subjective, IMHO there is some real junk in there.

Other posters are on the money - your currently posting in the best source of info you'll find.... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

Sure there's some good and bad stuff on that list, and i'd give my list, but six months from now it would be all different. My favorites are temporary, just like my girl friends. I know, fickle, but so are cigars. :rolleyes:

I read their list, and while you are correct that taste is very subjective, IMHO there is some real junk in there.

Other posters are on the money - your currently posting in the best source of info you'll find.... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.
Right on. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Wilkey

Just somebody's idea of a website that they hope becomes a moneymaker through hits and ads.

That's like making a list of the 50 best songs... no way your list will match mine

I saw some real D-rockets in there ???

I've been a one trick pony for years and recently decided to start branching out. Every time I order a box, I look for a sampler freebee or cheapee. 5 packs help diversify too.

The only box I bought unsmoked was the Patel SG, which I haven't tried yet. I did get a 9 smoke patel sampler with it and I did try the 92 which was a very nice smoke. It had some nice character and progression, and was smooth. Next box I get will be those, if I can get another diversified sampler with it.

Hate to say it, but JR has some decent samplers of various labels to try together. I bought a few of those Belicoso Samplers that had a few surprises. The Por Laranaga Beli was nice mild smoke, and I always thought they were a cheapo brand.

Buy a bunch of samplers, make your own list, fill your own humidor. That way, when you turn others on to your stuff you know what to tell them about it's character.

That looks like a modified version of the Top cigar list from Cigar Aficionado.

The only way to find out what you like is for you to buy and smoke! Start at the local B&Ms. ;)

The Newbie Sampler would be the best place to start to try a variety of different smokes. I'm not sure how it works with international shipping though.

After seeing an RP 1992 on the first page, I immediately quit reading; that is utterly ridiculous just as it is to have Don Pepin BL listed (even though I very much like that smoke). However, to put these two in the likes of some of the all-time greats is humorous at best.

My list, is the only list that matters. Every other list is wrong.

Doc.