• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The History of Math Instruction

coventrycat86 said:

??? ??? ???
[snapback]177108[/snapback]​

At least the letters were in the correct order. (fixed)

<Break-Break>

I saw a lot of this stuff in my niece as well. She saw personality conflicts with a teacher as an excuse to ignore work and (try) to transfer out of the class (I wouldn't let her), instead of resolving the issues or just sucking it up and respecting the teacher's position and finishing the class. She went so far as to make false allegations in the hopes that it would have her removed from the class.

IMO - the one thing that I have never seen taught that might make the biggest difference, teach the students how to learn. In my million hours of school, the best thing the military taught me was the kinetic/visual/auditory learning continuum and how do decipher my own learning style. It has made more difference than I can express. If that can be combined with a healthy dose of respect for teachers (taught by the Parents who *need* to take responsibility for their children again) we might be able to get our education system back on track.

-K-

Treamayne said:
In my million hours of school, the best thing the military taught me was the kinetic/visual/auditory learning continuum and how do decipher my own learning style.

In the last couple of years we started making the students take a learning styles inventory so that they could find out what type of learner they are. This information was also passed on to the teachers so that they would know what type of learners they have in class.

ricmac25 said:
Treamayne said:
In my million hours of school, the best thing the military taught me was the kinetic/visual/auditory learning continuum and how do decipher my own learning style.

In the last couple of years we started making the students take a learning styles inventory so that they could find out what type of learner they are. This information was also passed on to the teachers so that they would know what type of learners they have in class.
[snapback]177205[/snapback]​

Interesting ..... so do you think this could turn into a matching up of the teaching style with the learning style students?

:cool:

NorCalCigarLover said:
Interesting ..... so do you think this could turn into a matching up of the teaching style with the learning style students?

[snapback]177210[/snapback]​
Ideally, a teacher should eb able to adapt to different learning styles, approaching students in a manner best suited to them. Realistically, I've not seen this happen much, but I have seen a growing awareness that Homework assignments are tailored to each student's best study/learning strategy. For example, when I was learning Korean, I had lists of vocabulary pages that I had to write and a journal to keep (primary Kinetic Learner). The teacher then took my flashcards and lists and had another two students quiz each other (One held flashcards for the other to read back (visual) and the other read the vocab list so his partner could translate (Auditory). It made the class a team, and we took this approach to most of our projects.

True...as time goes by, seems that fundamental basics and common sense go by as well.

Very True.

another problem that adds to this is the fact that most teachers are underpaid. If teachers made a significatnt amount more, you would have many more qualified teachers to teach our children

Many of the teachers I know, while having a Masters degree are not very knowledgeable. I consider myself fairly intelligent and do not have a college degree, and more times than not, I feel I'd be better off teaching than some of the teachers out there.