• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Hot Potato Bomb

I took one stick and added a few premiums, and it's all ready to go, but I haven't found a target yet. I'll try to get it done soon, but I probably won't be able to do so before Thursday.

Guys, you should keep the size of Tater managable. rbbrock, commendable intentions, but you should stay close to stick for stick, value for value.

Rob and I have had a PM exchange about the current Spud. Here is the current inventory:

La Aroma de Cuba Marquis Tubo
Camacho Triple Maduro Toro
NC Monte White Robusto
NC Monte Toro
Puros Indios Toro
Diamond Crown Maximus Torpedo
AF Double Chateau
Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Toro
AVO Signature Belicoso
RP OSG Toro
CI Legends Purple
National Brand Sun Grown Robusto
Nestor Churchill
Don Tomas Special Edition Toro
Adam y Eva Belicoso
Cuban Delights Robusto
The Repeater Toro
Habanos Robusto
Famous Nicaraguan 3000
Old Fashioned
Casa Blanca panatelas (3)
Smokin' Toad Toro
Cuban Selection Toro
"Red Label" Premium Cigars Lonsdale
Connie Churchill (2)
Nat Sherman Suave
Random unbanded cigar (4)

This COULD be newbie delight to a few, but this Spud has degraded to a collection of less than remarkable cigars while being heavy enough to need $10 to ship. I'm suggesting to Rob that the Spud be forwarded to Smitty for it's last stop. Comments?

MY GOD?! Didn't this one JUST get started?!?!?!
Chris

I believe so Chris, I think our compatriot is just used to 'super premiums', thus thinking the hot potato is out of juice..

That true Bruce? Is this the same potato that was just lovingly and generously rebuilt a few posts ago?

Chris

I believe so Chris, I think our compatriot is just used to 'super premiums', thus thinking the hot potato is out of juice..

That true Bruce? Is this the same potato that was just lovingly and generously rebuilt a few posts ago?

Maybe that's partially to blame, but it's more of an issue of simple cost to benefit. If it's going to cost a newbie $10 to send this thing on, and all he's going to get out of it are a couple $1 no-name cigars, what's the point?

Chris

Maybe that's partially to blame, but it's more of an issue of simple cost to benefit. If it's going to cost a newbie $10 to send this thing on, and all he's going to get out of it are a couple $1 no-name cigars, what's the point?

Oh, I completely agree that it's not 'cost effective', but was the HPB ever about that?
I'll tell ya, when I got it I never thought about the money, I was just happy to be a part of it. swapped a few smokes and I was happy with it.
I, of course, defer to the wisdom of others, but my main question is: was this bomb rebuilt (quite generously) just a week ago?

~R

Oh, an afterthought: perhaps if there's too many sticks to ship effectively could it be split into two bombs?

Oh, I completely agree that it's not 'cost effective', but was the HPB ever about that?
I'll tell ya, when I got it I never thought about the money, I was just happy to be a part of it. swapped a few smokes and I was happy with it.
I, of course, defer to the wisdom of others, but my main question is: was this bomb rebuilt (quite generously) just a week ago?

~R
x2 put it in a flat rate priority box and let it go. I got the HPB in my first month here. Granted there were no "Premium" cigars in there, but I was thrilled that someone actually thought enough of me to send it. When I sent it back out, I looked at who I was going to send it to and threw a few of his fav's in there so there would be something of interest for him. I didn't realize the HPB was supposed to be measured by the quality of sticks inside it....

I realise this looks like I am trolling for the bomb, and maybe there is something to that. :blush: Never-the-less, as a newbie there were a quite few in that list that I have yet to try. Just because they aren't expensive, rare, or ISOMs doesn't mean they aren't worthwhile to those of us still sorting out what is good, acceptable, not so good, and awful.
I, for one, can't afford to smoke expensive sticks every day. Thus the search for good, less expensive smokes is a continuing quest. :whistling:
I guess what I am trying to say is please don't kill it too soon. There are still many newbies who would appreciate receiving such a bundle to take and put and experience some new sticks.
Hope I didn't step on any toes! ??? I just wanted to share a different vantage point from some that I read.
Dave

I'm glad this didnt get killed. I think some sticks should be swapped out, cleaned up (4) unbanded sticks? (simply a waste of space since even if the newbie likes it, they cant get more of em!)

Also, just the simple act of being thought of was well worth the shipping cost to me. No matter what, I think this thing should stay around. people just need to be more respectful to the box - dont take ALL of the nice things in there and then leave the lower cost sticks. Basically one should ask themselves this question before sending it off again: 'Would I want to receive this box?' if the answer is no and you have 10 takes sitting on the table in front of you..then there is a problem. Correct me if i'm wrong, but one of the objects of this is to 'share' or 'pay it forward'....not 'take advantage of generous brothers'.

All things to keep in mind. Overall - Rob + Nullsmurf - i'm glad you guys decided to keep it alive. :thumbs:

Edit to add: I know this is supposed to be a generous gift/fun activity, but we might want to think about adding a 'minimum cost' to the sticks. Maybe something like $3, so we're not getting nasty $.50 bundled sticks that are weighing down boxes? I know it kind of goes against the nature of this..but it could make it more cost effective. (just a thought)

Well, I showed up at work today and low and behold this medium sized box is sitting at the front desk for me. I was expecting a couple of packages, but not of that size. Then I looked at the name and wondered "who the hell is Rob from Iowa?"

So I waited until I finished my radio program, went home, and opened this puppy up -- and there it was: "You have been hit by a hot potato bomb" with the cigar pass link at the bottom. It brought a smile to my face! :)

I went through the contents and pulled aside a couple of sticks. I'd be more than glad to swap out some of the sticks some might think need to go and throw in some others. Just let me know. I'd consider it an opportunity to give back to the CP community that has welcomed me and allowed me as a newbie to buy and trade for cigars I simply do not have access to otherwise.

A great idea. Just let me know how you want me to proceed -- and I'll get this off on Monday.

Thanks to Rob for pulling me in.

Cheers,
Darryl

Well, I showed up at work today and low and behold this medium sized box is sitting at the front desk for me. I was expecting a couple of packages, but not of that size. Then I looked at the name and wondered "who the hell is Rob from Iowa?"

So I waited until I finished my radio program, went home, and opened this puppy up -- and there it was: "You have been hit by a hot potato bomb" with the cigar pass link at the bottom. It brought a smile to my face! :)

I went through the contents and pulled aside a couple of sticks. I'd be more than glad to swap out some of the sticks some might think need to go and throw in some others. Just let me know. I'd consider it an opportunity to give back to the CP community that has welcomed me and allowed me as a newbie to buy and trade for cigars I simply do not have access to otherwise.

A great idea. Just let me know how you want me to proceed -- and I'll get this off on Monday.

Cheers,
Darryl

Darryl, you are free to proceed however you feel would be appropriate. I think there are enough sticks, numerically, so there's no need to add a bunch, and there's really not room to add much more anyway. I think the best thing is to treat it like any other pass: take a few sticks you want, replace with sticks of equal value, and move it along. You certainly don't have to do that, but it seems to me to be the best option.

And I'm glad you're pleased! :thumbs:

Cheers,
Darryl

Darryl, you are free to proceed however you feel would be appropriate. I think there are enough sticks, numerically, so there's no need to add a bunch, and there's really not room to add much more anyway. I think the best thing is to treat it like any other pass: take a few sticks you want, replace with sticks of equal value, and move it along. You certainly don't have to do that, but it seems to me to be the best option.

And I'm glad you're pleased! :thumbs:

Great work guys! I hope you enjoy the potato Darryl! I hope you take Rob's advice, but again - it's not a must. Enjoy and have fun!!!

-Aaron

Alright, I swapped out a couple (actually added a couple extra), put several of the cigars not in cellos into five finger baggies, and sent it off to a newbie newer than me. We'll see how it goes! Oh yeah, for what it's worth, the postage was $6.25ish. Not to bad considering the box.

I'll post the DC# tonight.

Great job, guys! I'm glad to see that this puppy is doing its job.