• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Humble Potato for Humidification.

GroobySteven

I did a search for this but couldn't find it mentioned elsewhere, apologies if I missed it.

Last year I was talking to the rep from Hunter's and Frankau and his recommendation for keeping a humidor at good levels, was a small potato.  As the potato invariably dries out and shrivels, it releases moisture into the box.

I've been using it for the last 6 months or so - and it's worked extremely well.  I've had best results with nice clean, small new potatoes about the size of a walnut.   I don't live in the driest of areas but the potato has given me a better humidity and excellent cigars, better than other methods.  Has anyone else tried this or heard of it, or is just so well-known, it's not worth a mention?

I've heard if you bury a potato in the back yard under a full moon, it'll get rid of warts, too.  Only if no one sees you do it, though.

For cigar humidification, most here recommend using humidity control beads.  Some of us have active humidification systems in our cabinets, they work pretty well, too.

I've heard of using apples, too. I wouldn't do either. Seems like it'd increase the risk of mold.

JHolmes763 said:
I've heard of using apples, too. I wouldn't do either. Seems like it'd increase the risk of mold.

I've hear of using apples for humidity for other smokables, ones where the apple taste wouldn't be as much a detractor.

JHolmes763 said:

That's what I worried about - put the potato just shrivels and dries ... then change it.

I'll just stick with kitty litter. I haven't had to change mine out in 12 yrs or so. The tater sounds cool though, never heard of that one. If it works then go for it.

What RH does the spud regulate to?  Can you get 65% or 70% spuds?

In my youth I worked a produce rack, and I know what rotten, moldy spuds look and smell like.  They don't always 'just dry out'....sometimes they get putrid.  Really, really putrid.  Not in my humidor......

It never ceases to amaze me that folks will cut corners and go cheap when it comes to caring for hundreds of dollars of cigars.  

BlindedByScience said:

In my youth I worked a produce rack, and I know what rotten, moldy spuds look and smell like.  They don't always 'just dry out'....sometimes they get putrid.  Really, really putrid.  Not in my humidor......

It never ceases to amaze me that folks will cut corners and go cheap when it comes to caring for hundreds of dollars of cigars.  

Never had one go putrid - and I can more than afford to use other items - the point is, this has been better than the built in humidifier and anything I've purchased and tried.   Clearly, if I thought it was going to ruin the cigars, I wouldn't use it.

Putrid potatoes are horrrrible.   Its an interesting notion but I agree with Tom.  Not sure why you wouldn't just buy some Heartfelt beads and go with a method that requires little to no maintenance.  You buy it once and they last practically forever.

If you can "more than afford" to use other items, maybe....just maybe you should learn from the experiences of this group and use methods that are stable, proven, and work fantastically.

You didn't answer my question - what RH does your spud regulate to?

Or, you can wait until you do have a spud go putrid....won't that be something.

GroobySteven said:

Never had one go putrid - and I can more than afford to use other items - the point is, this has been better than the built in humidifier and anything I've purchased and tried.   Clearly, if I thought it was going to ruin the cigars, I wouldn't use it.
You'll have to forgive Tom, he gets a little cranky when he sees someone who is willing to spend thousands of dollars on cigars, but yet they skimp on humidification. Trying to use tapwater instead of distilled water, or using the potato instead of something like beads, or active humidification. He's not being, unfriendly, just direct! Remember, the typed word conveys no emotion and can easily be misconstrued. ;)
That being said, I echo his sentiments..... While Hunters & Frankau are very well known and respectable, I too have seen/smelled more than a few putrid potatoes, and would not want to risk having that smell permeate my cigars.
I'll stick to my proven method of silica beads. I might need to spritz them with distilled water every month or two, and that's with a very significant collection.

Great discussion, but not for me!

jfields said:

You'll have to forgive Tom, he gets a little cranky when he sees someone to is willing to spend thousands of dollars on cigars, but yet they skimp on humidification. Trying to use tapwater instead of distilled water, or using the potato instead of something like beads, or active humidification. He's not being, unfriendly, just direct! Remember, the typed word conveys no emotion and can easily be misconstrued. ;)
That being said, I echo his sentiments..... While Hunters & Frankau are very well known and respectable, I too have seen/smelled more than a few putrid potatoes, and would not want to risk having that permeate my cigars.
I'll stick to my proven method of silica beads. I might need to spritz them with distiller water every month or two, and that's with a very significant collection.

Great discussion, but not for me!

Great answers, and I love Tom's passion... Use the proper humidification device to eliminate any variables. Anything else would be Cigar Abuse, and you could be branded for life...

...cranky?  Me...??  You should see me when I'm really pissed..!!  Oh, snap, I guess you guys have...... :p

Sounds like an interesting experiment, but ultimately not worth the risk. I have collected cigars and have some from 1997 (I used to have one from 1974!). The idea of using anything less than calibrated (via boveda pack) digital hygrometers and beads terrifies me. This could be a great way to keep your cigars moist, however, in a bind where you don't have a device. Otherwise, I would just avoid. Also, there has to be something said for the smell. Your humidor is full of two things that pick up odor quite well: cedar and tobacco. I don't know how potent your potato's smell is, but it's just another factor against. 

Wow. Now that's a new one for me and I'm willing to try anything once or twice so I pulled out the Set It & Forget It out of my walk-in and put in a sack of sweet potatoes. I will update everyone in about a month.  :whistling:

Just kidding Steven, but is the potato all that you use in the humi or do you use it in conjunction with another humidification device?

Does the spud grow those little roots or does cutting it stop that process?  I like to shoot them from my "Kartoffel Mauser" (potato gun).

With a couple of electrodes and jumper wires, you can not only use a potato for humidification, but to power your digital hygrometer as well. ;)

Score!

I agree with everything you're all stating.  I would have said the same and unlikely I would have tried if I hadn't been given the suggestion from a reputable source - and the few professionals I've asked, can't see a problem with it.  
There is no smell from the potatoes at all.
I don't use any other humification - the internal one is dry right now.

I do live in the UK so perhaps we don't need as much as in other parts of the world (although when I lived in Asia it was a constant struggle between too humid and too dry (dry from the AC)) and my humidor in Los Angeles doesn't have a potato in it.
Just curious to see if anyone had heard of it before.  My smokes are in great condition - and I get to choose between salt&vinegar or cheese&onion flavour profiles depending on my mood.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12181]

GroobySteven said:
I agree with everything you're all stating.  I would have said the same and unlikely I would have tried if I hadn't been given the suggestion from a reputable source - and the few professionals I've asked, can't see a problem with it.  

I do live in the UK so perhaps we don't need as much as in other parts of the world (although when I lived in Asia it was a constant struggle between too humid and too dry (dry from the AC)) and my humidor in Los Angeles doesn't have a potato in it.
Just curious to see if anyone had heard of it before.  My smokes are in great condition - and I get to choose between salt&vinegar or cheese&onion flavour profiles depending on my mood.

What is the RH in that humidor? How did you figured out how many potatoes to use?

whylieineedacigar said:

What is the RH in that humidor? How did you figured out how many potatoes to use?

RH = 69

I used one in a small box humidor (50 stick) so just put two in here and it seems good.  To be fair, I'll watch it over the winter when we have the heating on more and if it drops then I'll make a change.