• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Official Fitness Contest Thread

Ok, its time to get this underway. Listed below is a breakdown of all contestants, their goals, and the sticks they have sent for their entrance fee. I didn't go thru the sticks and determine each individual size etc, but you get the idea. Its going to be a very nice prize package to the winner.

Gator

Stats: 42yo, 5' 8", 181 lbs, 22% BF

(updated stats as of Jan 24)
Weight - 184
bf% - 22.5%
will send pics to HS tonight
goals and methods are the same

Goals: get to 170 lbs, 15% BF, which would involve burning fat and building muscle, as well as hopefully lowering my resting heart rate, BP, and improving cholesterol (my dad had 6 bypasses at 60, so i'm in the high risk category). In the past, when i've been leaner and exercising regularly, i feel MUCH better, so that's another goal, feel good and energized.

The Path: No 'diet' so to speak, just cutting out bad foods, replacing with healthy, avoiding high saturated fat foods and simple carbs, as well as eating 5 times a day. Shooting for 75-100 grams of lean protein per day, and as much fiber as i can. Will do cardio 6 days a week, consisting of 20 min of high intensity cardio (keeping heart rate between 140 and 170, and daily 30min walks w/ the wife. Weight training every other day, pretty much following the Body for Life HIT program.

Current lifestyle: Usually cardio 3 times a week, i stay active during the day w/ working at the nursery. My diet is my downfall, eat too much bad, not enough good. Have been on and off the alcohol wagon, currently on the wagon, i keep fighting moderation, so it's time for me to quit fighting it and just stop alcohol.

JetDr (pictures received)

Height: 5'10"
Sex: Male, hell, I hope that is obvious, otherwise just say so, and I will pick up a man-zier
Weight: 283 lbs.
BF%: 35.9

My current, or as of last week before I started to do better, routine was:

I would go to work with no breakfast, and eat about 10am. Breakfast consisted of two breakfast sandwiches from Mickey D's. I would have lunch around 3pm, usually two sandwiches and a large fry from a fast food restaurant. And finally dinner was pizza or one of the large meals from a local eating establishment. To give you an idea, I would typically skip over the meals until I came to the one that had 3, count em 3, items, such as chicken, steak, and shrimp on the plate with the plate along with the large side of veggies. But I was eating good, cause I had eaten the salad before the meal. One can't forget that you can't go out to eat without getting an appetizer. Mix in a couple of snacks a day, and I think I was bringing in about 3500 calories a day. My exercise has consisted of occasionally getting off the couch at work. Not much to do all day.

From here on out:

I am cutting my calorie intake to about 1400 a day. 3500 calories a day is my maintain weight intake to burn. At this rate, with my increased cardio, I should lose about 5 lbs a week. I started to run again. That first day of three miles SUCKED. If you remember, I ran a half marathon last April, and want to be back to doing that again soon. I have joined a gym, however, it is in the process of being built, and won't open until February 1st. I'm not using that as an excuse, instead, I'm running and doing crunches whenever I can. From the pictures, you may notice that I was outside playing with the kids today, Janurary 12th in 55 degree weather. I hope with her soccer season starting again, I will be outside running and playing along side her a lot more.

My new diet consist of Skim milk and low fat yogurt for breakfast along with a banana. I will mix it up with a bowl of oatmeal a few days a week. I will eat a handful of almonds for a snack mid morning, and have a salad for lunch. Frozen grapes are great for a mid afternoon snack to keep me until dinner. They last longer as a meal if they are frozen, and the longer it takes to eat them, the more I feel I'm eating. Dinner will be something along the lines of Salmon to raise my HDL, (my LDL is great) and a side of veggies and quinoa or wild rice. I grill quite often, and it makes for a satisfying dinner knowing it isn't fried.

My goal is 205 lbs by December 31, 2008 however, I am taking the family back to the Dominican Republic in late April and hope to be back down to 235 lbs. I was down to that weight 13 months ago, and felt great. Not to mention that I wasn't self concious at the beach.

Here's to everyone that needs that little boost to start off. I hope we all lose to our goals. I would be proud if someone out performs me if I try my best. You deserve my 5 cigars.

BargoGirl (pics posted)

40 yr old, 5'3, 220 lbs at gym - 222 lbs at Dr office (you pick whichever seems fairer), %BF to be determined!

Goals: My goals will seem a little excessive to the other participants but since I have a stomach roughly the size of a tennis ball (from gastric bypass surgery), and I know that I will lose weight quicker than the others when I cut out junk food, my goal is a bit hefty.

To get down to 185 lbs and build some muscle especially in my arms (and legs, if possible with my restrictions)

The Path: I plan to eat the 60+ grams of protein a day I'm suppose to be eating, eating the 6-8 meals a day I'm suppose to be eating, and cutting out the chocolate sad.gif , fried foods, and anything with simple sugars. I will buy foods to replace them that are healthy alternatives like fat free and sugar free ice cream, use protein powder in ff shakes (then freeze them - a great treat and way to get your protein intake high! Recipe will follow later), and sugar free chocolate occasionally (if that is acceptable to the others??). I have the "Six week body makeover " program but always find a reason not to do it so I may follow that as well and will probably do the target exercises for certain muscle groups. I would like to walk more often and hope to go with my son to the gym for some water exercising.

Currently: I spend a lot of time sleeping ( I am apparently anemic again and need my IV bag of Iron but can't get it until next month with Hannah's surgeries) and sitting around. Right now I am eating as much meat and liver as I can to help with my energy level. I do some chores but (obviously) no heavy lifting. I eat a light yogurt for breakfast and sometimes a couple of yogurts for lunch or fast food, a chocolate candy bar everyday and usually cook a dinner that is rich in taste and fat.

That's about it. Pictures to follow. I've gotta get Mike to take 'em and load 'em!

Thanks Gator for the contest! It gives me a reason to me motivated again wink.gif

Julie

FatKen

Age - 50
Height - 5'10"
Weight - 237 lbs -verified
Body Fat - 40% - I truly doubt the accuracy of my scale. I will verify and make the necessary adjustments with the approval of the judge

Since September I have limited my workouts due to having been diagnosed and treated for Atrial Fibrilation and nursing a bum knee. Afib seems to be undercontrol and knee is getting better.

Reduction plan, don't eat anything for 2 weeks, then cut down on half. sign.gif

Diet - reduce calorie intake (currently appr. 3000 calories) to 1800 with 60 -80 grams of protein.
Workouts - cardio - walking and boxing on WII 5 days a week and interval weight routine 3 days a week (unfortunately I cannot do squats and lunges with my knee.

SteveHawk (cigars were sent to my old address, trying to track them down)

Stats: 46yo, 6' 0", 225.4 lbs, BMI=30.5

Goals: I'd like to get in good shape which, to me, means:

- Getting below 205lbs
- Being able to run 2 miles in under 20 minutes (hey, I'm 46 -- 2 flights of stairs leaves me winded)
- Holding my own playing 3-on-3 basketball for 45-60 minutes

Pathway to Success: The last time I was in what I would consider "good shape" was in 2002. I got there by following the "Body for Life" program, which I will follow again this time. The Body for Life program relies on exercise (primarily weight training, with a healthy mixture of cardio) at least 5 days a week. I plan to document/track my workout activity (reps, weight, intensity level) on a daily basis. The program also relies on a high protein, low-carb (NOT no-carb) diet of 6 smaller meals, eaten at 2-3 hour intervals throughout the day.

Current lifestyle: I sit behind a desk, eat a lot and haven't exercised in about two years. The lack of exercise is due to multiple surgeries on my right shoulder in 2005. I'm hoping that those surgeries will not limit my ability to progress.

MX

Name: Tim
Sex: Not as often as I like
Height 5'5"
Weight 172
BF% 25.7

Cardio 3-4 times a week, pushup/situp non carido days (standard army PT)
Portion control, and switching to whole grain, and or sugar free foods, also will be on the weight watchers plan by default.

Goals
160 pounds
20% BF
2 mile in the 15 min range
75 pushups in 2 min
70 sit ups in 2 min

Seth (pics received)

Male
6' 2"

Goal weight : 215. I will lose 15 pounds of fat and add two or three pounds of muscle.
Diet : Low carb. Meat, some dairy and veggies
Exercise : HIIT using body weight exercises, kettle bells, clubbells, and running on Mon - Thurs. Friday and Sunday are rest days. Saturday is sparring and tourneys. Light stretching and joint mobility exercises in the mornings.

I will post goals for some exercises once I establish a starting point / baseline around week two. Trying to max out on several exercises right now would leave me unable to do them for several days.

Seth

Steamboat
46 years old
6'2"
327 lbs
BMI calulator in link above says 42%

I can send my sticks out tomorrow.

I will drop down to 3000 calories max per day and try to start walking.

Pics that I have received or who have posted them.

JetDr-check
Bargogirl-check
Seth-Check

Still need pics from
Stevehawk
Gator
FatKen
MX
Steamboat
(if you sent pics and aren't accounted for on the list, let me know where you sent them)

Prize pack!

JetDr
Tatuaje Verocu West Side
Ashton VSG
La Flor Coronado
Opus X
Anejo

Gator (and MX)
Opus X ( x 6)
Ashton VSG
Tatuaje
Tatuaje Exclusivo Zona Del Este ( x 2)

Seth
Anejo
Padron 1926
Opus X
La Flor Dominica Factory Press II
Padillia Signature 1932

Fatken
Anejo (x2)
Opus X 3 Pack Tin

BargoGirl
Tatuaje Cojonu 2003
Padillia
Padillia Signature 1932
AVO 80th
Ashton VSG

Steamboat
Opus X #4 (x 4)
Anejo 77

Stevehawk-to be determined, I have to go track them down :laugh:

Time to get motivated girls and boys. Get your heads on straight and be ready to go monday, we are officially underway.
:thumbs:

I'm still trying to figure out an online check in sheet to keep track of everyones time in the gym. I will have something by tomorrow.

Good luck to you guys!

My little section to add a few things to score some bonus points on....keep an eye on this for changes. If I add to this section, it will be on Sunday or Mondays (beginning of the week) I won't get carried away with this, but you guys put me in charge and I get to judge, so I will add a couple things that I think will help the group out!

Bonus Points Challenge #1- Since the idea of this is not only for one person to win, but even more its a chance to get you guys motivated to get in shape and improve your overall health. You all have made the choice to try and improve yourselves physically, so this should help in the long run. I think that one of the biggest reasons most people don't stick with a workout routine is because normally, it just isn't any fun. Very few people actually enjoy going to the gym and standing on a treadmill for an hour. So here is my first challenge for bonus points.

Go out and try a new type of exercise that you either haven't done, or rarely do. It can be either low or high impact, but it should be done in a duration that will last at least, or longer then one hour. The idea behind this is that you don't always have to go to a gym to get some exercise.
a couple examples
  • you play golf??? walk a round instead of riding on the cart
  • some sort of water aerobics
  • Play Disc Golf
  • Walk the dogs

basically, any kind of exercise you can do that is going to be fun, and its not neccesarily in a gym (if you want to try out something new in a gym, that is fine as well)

To get the bonus points, you have to do this sometime during the course of the 60 days, and it must be done a total of 5 times. You don't have to do the same thing all 5 times.

Best of luck everyone. That is quite the prize pack you are competing for. Your health and a bunch of quality sticks is a hell of a lot of motivation.

Can't wait to hear the results!

In case you missed it on the thread, BF% 44.5 on fancy scale and updated weight on scale 224 lbs as of 1/24/08.

Also, I broke my big toe three days ago slamming it against a kit. cabinet while wrestling with Hannah (trying to keep her from hurting herself) during 'medication time'. Need suggestions on alternative exercises to walking.

Please some advice guys!!

Cigars are looking mighty good!!

I would advise against Dance Dance Revolution with a broken toe. :blush:

No really, I have been doing a little light cardio in addition to my situps each day while patiently waiting for my gym to have the grand opening on Feb 1.

I saw that my daughter's Christmas gift of the DDR mat, contained a excercise program that makes me want to cry for my Mom.

In case you missed it on the thread, BF% 44.5 on fancy scale and updated weight on scale 224 lbs as of 1/24/08.

Also, I broke my big toe three days ago slamming it against a kit. cabinet while wrestling with Hannah (trying to keep her from hurting herself) during 'medication time'. Need suggestions on alternative exercises to walking.

Please some advice guys!!

Cigars are looking mighty good!!

swimming will probably be as low of impact as you will get. GREAT work out too!

For the guys that work out at home I have a secret for you.

My wife and I work out 4 days, rest one. We have worked out at home for 20 years. Every 4 days I change the way we work out, from very slow 1 minute, 3 reps routine for each exercise, to non stop 30 reps. I do this so that the muscles do not get used to one way of work out. For cardio, which is part of our workout, we alternate on the elliptical, when I'm doing a weight exercise, my wife is on the elliptical and visa versa.

Naturally we need equipment. Currently we have a Bowflex, Sole Elliptical (best cardio with the least amount of impact) Bowflex dial in dumb bells (amazing invention, 2 dumb bells that take the place of 30)
small work out bench and the secret...

Pssst, come closer...Soloflex Rockit This is the best lower body workout machine bar none. It's basically a squat machine but with a difference. The largest muscles in the body are the glutes and thighs.
When they are worked properly, you burn the most amount of calories and it's the best way to increase your strength. Unlike regular squat machines and usual squats, your back is totally supported on the machine. The machine is $1700 new, not cheap. However, as with all work out equipment, look around, places like Craig's list, it can be had for $800 or less.

Good luck to all you guys and well done for changing your lives.

Brian

Dang, sorry for the fiasco on shipping, Erick. I went off the addy I had in my database and should have verified before sending. Hopefully, they'll get forwarded to you, but I'll keep an eye out for them in case they get returned.

As for pics, my wife is in Cali and has the camera. She returns tomorrow, though, so I should be able to send them in the evening or on Tuesday.

Also, regarding your PM'd request for full frontal shots... to be honest, that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. :blush:

:sign:

Dang, sorry for the fiasco on shipping, Erick. I went off the addy I had in my database and should have verified before sending. Hopefully, they'll get forwarded to you, but I'll keep an eye out for them in case they get returned.

As for pics, my wife is in Cali and has the camera. She returns tomorrow, though, so I should be able to send them in the evening or on Tuesday.

Also, regarding your PM'd request for full frontal shots... to be honest, that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. :blush:

:sign:

that's just not right.

Cigars are accounted for, luckily we are still good friends with our old neighbors. I will pick them up tomorrow!

Mmm, Mmm, Mmmm, Pecan pie, fresh out of my oven. There's a whole stick of real butter and a cup of dk. corn syrup in this sucker. I think a dolop of Vt. fresh whipped cream would go good on it. Too bad you folks can't have some. You got to die of something. Thanks again for the nuts gator. :laugh:

Doc.

Mmm, Mmm, Mmmm, Pecan pie, fresh out of my oven. There's a whole stick of real butter and a cup of dk. corn syrup in this sucker. I think a dolop of Vt. fresh whipped cream would go good on it. Too bad you folks can't have some. You got to die of something. Thanks again for the nuts gator. :laugh:

Doc.
LMAO@ Doc

Wish I could say the same, no pecans here yet!

Brian

Doc.

When you said you wanted to see my nuts, i hoped it was pecans you were talking about, i was a little worried Doc, you know what they say about sailors...

I watch what i eat 6 days a week, and Sunday is my day off, so i can eat what i want, think i'll get my daughters to make a pecan pie, but top it w/ ice cream :D Oh, and i'm surprised you Yanks know about Pecan pies, you non grit eaters are some strange folks :laugh:

For the guys that work out at home I have a secret for you.

My wife and I work out 4 days, rest one. We have worked out at home for 20 years. Every 4 days I change the way we work out, from very slow 1 minute, 3 reps routine for each exercise, to non stop 30 reps. I do this so that the muscles do not get used to one way of work out. For cardio, which is part of our workout, we alternate on the elliptical, when I'm doing a weight exercise, my wife is on the elliptical and visa versa.

Naturally we need equipment. Currently we have a Bowflex, Sole Elliptical (best cardio with the least amount of impact) Bowflex dial in dumb bells (amazing invention, 2 dumb bells that take the place of 30)
small work out bench and the secret...

Pssst, come closer...Soloflex Rockit This is the best lower body workout machine bar none. It's basically a squat machine but with a difference. The largest muscles in the body are the glutes and thighs.
When they are worked properly, you burn the most amount of calories and it's the best way to increase your strength. Unlike regular squat machines and usual squats, your back is totally supported on the machine.
The machine is $1700 new, not cheap. However, as with all work out equipment, look around, places like Craig's list, it can be had for $800 or less.

Good luck to all you guys and well done for changing your lives.

Brian

I agree with that part to an extent. If you are looking for low impact or have back problems, this may be a good route to take. One thing to think about though is that when you do a normal squat (free weights, bar on your shoulders) you work something like 256 muscles at one time. It doesn't get much more full body then that. If you start with a low amount of weight and concentrate on just doing the movement correctly, you will see your entire body start to get stronger, especially in the core areas. I also don't like to use a belt when doing squats. All it does is compensate for the weak points in your body which in turn is going to set you up for injury. I do free squats up to 375 lbs without a belt.

Working your largest muscle groups like brian said is definitely the way to go.

Whatever you choose to do in the gym, concentrate a lot on your form. Don't go in there and try and do a bunch of weight and do the movement incorrectly. You won't get the results you want and you'll probably just look funny doing it.

Julie, have you considered taking a water aerobics class??? Might be a really good way to go for you and the toe injury.

Finding a fun way to get your cardio in is a real key to sticking with this stuff!

I will post my pics today. My parents were in this weekend and I did not feel comfortable putting on the gimp suit you requested that I wear.

Tim

all these twisted personal jokes are being taken into account, you sick bastages

BTW MX, the video you sent me of you and stevehawk "training" is just not right, not right at all. But, I can appreciate your intensity.

training video

Great contest idea! My hat is off to all of you... I hope eveyone hits their goals!

Best,
Cibao

Down to 222 from 227 - 228 as of this morning. ( my post said 227, my official pic one week ago said 228 )

Sending end of week one pics this evening.

Seth