• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Official Fitness Contest Thread

Doing well. Excited that I'm getting my IV bag of Iron today so my anemia will be in check and my energy level will go up quickly :thumbs: . Hannah is back in school so things are settling down around here and I can focus on me! No matter how much I lose, I am definitely looking forward to dropping some of that BF%. I'm still trying to calculate what Dave and some others have said about caloric intake to suit my situation as my stomach being so small can't possibly handle the calories they're proposing. I have access to some amazing protein bars and meal replacement bars (one tastes just like a blueberry muffin) but can't afford to use them constantly on our income. So I'm still tweaking the program.

Well that's about it for me.

Hope everyone else is having luck and plenty of motivation and energy to boot! I know all of you will do a great job and should be proud that you accomplished it whether you lose 2 lbs or 25 lbs.

Julie

Quick update:

I'm doing well with the food side of my program. I've cut down on my carb intake and am eating smaller meals, 6 times a day. As for the gym, it's not going as well as I would like just yet. My buddy is in the process of opening a cigar lounge and much of my free time has spent helping out -- which is a workout in itself. My trip to Scotland next week will interfere also. Overall, though, I've dropped 2 pounds in the past three days from the change in diet, plus the increased activity.

My Low carb and workouts are going well no matter where we count them as having as started ;)

Seth

My thighs are burning because I'm eating that sodium loaded possum jerky u sent me. Actually, I'm not that out of shape, I just ate bad for the past year, F'r :laugh:

How about a health forum instead of cluttering up the lobby?

Why do my thighs burn when i get to the really intense part of my cardio (primarily use stationary bike), and when i say intense, it's getting my heart rate between 150-170. I did a google on it, but i got a bunch of very technical mumbo jumbo that this old country boy couldn't understand.

your thighs burn because your ass is out of shape :laugh:

now send me those pics already :sign:

Down to 180 this am, although mostly water weight loss... You other folks my have a chance, i'm heading out to Chile / Patagonia for a week starting next Fri, so no telling what they'll be feeding us, but casting a fly rod for 7 days may burn off some calories :D

Down to 268 today. I think that makes 15lbs. More importantly, I feel incredible. I have often thought throughout my life that only cake and cookies tasted good, but I don't recall those sugar rich foods ever tasting as good as the salads, meats, and veggies I have been eating this last few weeks.

I am pretty stoked about the gym that I joined back in October. I joined during the pre-sales for the discount, and they finally open the doors tomorrow. I have never been one to do the classes, but what the hell, I dance on the bar when I'm drunk... I might as well look funny when I'm sober too. I'm looking forward to some boxing type cardio and some spinning classes to sweat out the impurities as well as some weight training.

Over the last few weeks, I have been doing some cardio at home with some pushups and crunches to jump-start my metabolism.

I hope everyone is feeling as good as I am. It really is a pleasure to work toward our goals.

Gary

Down 15 lbs already !?!?! Awesome man, keep up the good work!

Seth

Down to 268 today. I think that makes 15lbs. More importantly, I feel incredible. I have often thought throughout my life that only cake and cookies tasted good, but I don't recall those sugar rich foods ever tasting as good as the salads, meats, and veggies I have been eating this last few weeks.

I am pretty stoked about the gym that I joined back in October. I joined during the pre-sales for the discount, and they finally open the doors tomorrow. I have never been one to do the classes, but what the hell, I dance on the bar when I'm drunk... I might as well look funny when I'm sober too. I'm looking forward to some boxing type cardio and some spinning classes to sweat out the impurities as well as some weight training.

Over the last few weeks, I have been doing some cardio at home with some pushups and crunches to jump-start my metabolism.

I hope everyone is feeling as good as I am. It really is a pleasure to work toward our goals.

Gary

right on Bro :thumbs:

As of this morning I am at 169.

Not sure about all that food intake stuff, but according to weight watchers, I have consumed 20-23 points a day for the last week. With the weather and some of the other things that life has thrown at me, I only got in 1 run this week. But I have been painting my house and other home improvement activities to keep up my activity level.

Tim

What do you guys think about an email groups for those participating in this? I am sure most of our Brothers and Sisters here at CP could do without reading about our ever narrowing arses.

Seth

I don't know Seth. Maybe we are an inspiration to someone not in the contest but trying to lose weight or eat healthier as we struggle through ours. Testiony is a powerful incentive for people. However, to each his own. If everyone wants more private conversations, take a vote.

I'm happy either way.

Jules

I'd actually like to see a Health Forum...

I'm pretty pumped, been doing great on my food intake, intense cardio every day, got my heart rate up to 175 this am, and kept it for 10 min between 150 and 170.

Tim, go to my-calorie-counter and you can plug in your foods you eat, very neat tool, and free! It really helps you see clearly what you are doing right and wrong.

A bit late of a response I'm sure, but what the hell.

As far as protein supplements go, you can buy whatever you like. I'm sure wholesale clubs such as BJs, Costco, and Sam's Club sell some sort of whey protein powder or protein bar. Just be mindful of the calories and vitamins/minerals that are in it. A few things I want to point out though on what you might want in your protein supplement. (Most protein powders already include these, but it doesn't hurt to make sure)

BCAA - Branched Chain Amino Acids, these are very helpful to building muscle and impeding muscle breakdown.
Glutamine - helps with muscle growth and recovery

I have been using Nature's Best Zero Carb Isopure and recently started using Muscle Milk (it now comes with 5g of fiber per serving). Isopure tastes like crap, except for the dutch chocolate, which I use chocolate soy milk (I'm lactose intolerant) to mix it with, then it is tolerable. The Muscle Milk Cookies n Creme taste great to me.

These two protein powders also have different stages of protein processes, Isopure has Whey Protein Isolate which is a very fast absorbing form of protein, and Muscle Milk has the standard variety casein and fat which slows down protein digestion. So with these in mind, Muscle Milk would make a good bedtime/midnight snack, while the Isopure would be good for pre and post workout meals. Most protein supplements will list what type of protein they provide.

I hope i'm not repeating myself, but i find the Myoplex Lite to be a nice protein shake to carry with you, it comes in individual packets, and mix it w/ 12 oz of cold water, and viola, 190 cal, 25g protein, low sat fats and carbs. The Myoplex lite bars are also tasty and not bad for ya, low sat fats and choles.. I found that most protein bars available in more mainstream stores are full of sugars and Sat. fat, i won't touch them, plus they taste like ass.

Well, just had my first day at the gym that I joined back in October and was finished yesterday. 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of circuit training with 3 sets of 10 reps on each machine, with a little free weight work on the arms with some dumbells.

Oh, and I picked up the class schedule... Zumba looks quite interesting.

From the class description sheet:
Improve your dance moves and your cardiovascular fitness all at one time! This Latin dance class will motivate you to salsa your way to a better body! These easy to follow and fun moves will give you an awesome aerobic workout while your mind forgets you are actually exercising. Join the fun and Zumba!!!

I need to learn a few steps before my return to the Dominican Republic anyway. :rolleyes:

There are a few classes that I think will prevent the boredom that normally comes from workouts. I'd like to try TurboKick, Boot Camp, and maybe even Yoga to strengthen my core muscles.

Have a great dinner everyone,

Gary

You dancing is a mental image i could do without :laugh:

My wife won the best overall female in the area fitness challenge yesterday :) so i gotta tighten up...

Sounds like you have things moving in the right direction JetDr, Great job!

Seth

I have been posting my workouts in a blog. If anyone would like to see it, just PM me.

Seth