• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Padron Legacy

tomthirtysix

Wishing I was as cool as Phil
If you have the Wealth channel on your cable provider, set your DVR for next Saturday.

When: August 10th, 2013 at 2:30 PM ET
Show: Smoke
Episode: The Padron Legacy

It's channel 669 (HD) on FiOS in NY.

I just saw a commercial. Should be interesting.

I've seen episodes of this show before, and it's been "eh" at best. But I'm real interested in getting a behind-the-scenes look at their production in Esteli.

Just watched the episode. It was pretty interesting.

They opened with an interview with Jose Orlando. The host then went with Jorge to the farm and discussed their tobacco and the growing / harvesting / curing / fermentation process. They went to the rolling room and talked about the rolling process. The time with Jorge ended with a scotch and cigar pairing, where they smoked a 1926 #6 Natural, a 1926 #2 Maduro (discussing the differences between the natural and maduro flavors) and then finishing with an 80th.

The show ended once again talking with Jose Orlando, bringing up the possibility of the embargo ending. He said he wasn't worried because "Padron smokers in America won't give up their Padron for a cigar from Cuba." The only impact the embargo ending would have, he feels, is the eventual change in the European market.

There isn't a whole lot of programming on the Wealth channel, so if your provider carries it, I'm sure it will be on again. Definitely worth the watch if you can.

tomthirtysix said:
Just watched the episode. It was pretty interesting.

They opened with an interview with Jose Orlando. The host then went with Jorge to the farm and discussed their tobacco and the growing / harvesting / curing / fermentation process. They went to the rolling room and talked about the rolling process. The time with Jorge ended with a scotch and cigar pairing, where they smoked a 1926 #6 Natural, a 1926 #2 Maduro (discussing the differences between the natural and maduro flavors) and then finishing with an 80th.

The show ended once again talking with Jose Orlando, bringing up the possibility of the embargo ending. He said he wasn't worried because "Padron smokers in America won't give up their Padron for a cigar from Cuba." The only impact the embargo ending would have, he feels, is the eventual change in the European market.

There isn't a whole lot of programming on the Wealth channel, so if your provider carries it, I'm sure it will be on again. Definitely worth the watch if you can.
Thanks for this review, maybe I can find it on iTunes.

I really enjoyed the segment as well, and my love for the brand was only reinforced when in closing José was asked "What is the one thing you could tell your fans/customers?"

He simply answered with "I want everyone to enjoy Padrón, and if you ever have an issue with any of my product, please let us know and we will make it right!"

That blew my mind as the 87 year old patriarch is still sharp enough to tell the public that he cares, and his product's consistency is #1 in his book.

I love that you can take a 6000 or Londres and age it a while and it will surprise you with how delicious and pocket friendly his value line is.

From the FR45, the 80th, and a #2 maduro, I enjoy all of his line and will continue to support this family business as long as I can.

Gratuitous Padrón purchase from a while back. :whistling:

67D2C004-79FE-4DA0-9B8C-ADA0C5BE157E-3283-00000112033DF773_zps95128901.jpg

Interesting. Wish I could check it out.

Why exactly is he slightly concerned about the European market if the embargo gets lifted, since Euros already have free-access to everything?  It's probably there, I just don't see it.  

He didn't go into it, but I would imagine a combination of Habanos SA limiting product to Europe to send some to the US / overproduction resulting in a possible lack of quality control could give an opening for non-Cubans to get a bigger piece of the pie.

I have no idea what the European markets look like. I know they have access to everything, but if you walk into your local, what's the breakdown like inside, as far as non-Cuban brands go?

emoshun said:
I really enjoyed the segment as well, and my love for the brand was only reinforced when in closing José was asked "What is the one thing you could tell your fans/customers?"

He simply answered with "I want everyone to enjoy Padrón, and if you ever have an issue with any of my product, please let us know and we will make it right!"

That blew my mind as the 87 year old patriarch is still sharp enough to tell the public that he cares, and his product's consistency is #1 in his book.

I love that you can take a 6000 or Londres and age it a while and it will surprise you with how delicious and pocket friendly his value line is.

From the FR45, the 80th, and a #2 maduro, I enjoy all of his line and will continue to support this family business as long as I can.

Gratuitous Padrón purchase from a while back. :whistling:

67D2C004-79FE-4DA0-9B8C-ADA0C5BE157E-3283-00000112033DF773_zps95128901.jpg
You hope that the views of the "Patriarch" have been engrained in the consciousness of future generations of the family.  That ethic, that goes beyond money, seems to be fading in many businesses.

tomthirtysix said:
I have no idea what the European markets look like. I know they have access to everything, but if you walk into your local, what's the breakdown like inside, as far as non-Cuban brands go?

Of course it depends shop to shop, but in my 3 years in the UK, most good cigar shops carried Habanos S.A. stuff as aquired through Hunters & Frankau.  J.J. Fox in London also carried Fuente, GoF, Padron and Oliva--all prohibitively priced due to the taxes.  Davidoff of London obviously also carried Davidoff and their associated brands like Avo and The Griffins.

I truly hope that it doesn't change in the next 10-20 years as the younger Padróns come up in the company.

Back