• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The reality of my girls being born is starting to hit home

As many of you know, I have twin girls on the way. We don't really have a set due date, but they will more then likely be born around the beginning of September.

Now, I'm not sure how everyones minds work. Obviously we are all quite different, but maybe some of us share the same thinking. anyways, over the years I have come to realize that when a big event in my life is approaching, I may think that its not effecting me, but it really does. Maybe on some sort of subconscience level, or it simply stays in the back of your mind. Kinda like you're not directly thinking about it, but its always there. If that makes any sense at all.

The last 7 months have been a weird time for me. We moved into a brand new house in late august of last year, which was a big change to get used to, and then soon after that I found out my wife was pregnant. THEN, I found out she was having more then one. ??? So since then, I have been trying to kind of mentally prepare myself for what is to come. I almost immediately accepted the fact that my wife was going to be going thru a lot of unknown changes and our lives were going to start changing very soon.

This is hard for me to put down in writing. Sort of like I have kind of been in a sort of daze during the pregnancy. Sometimes I really start to think about it and realize, damn, I'm going to have twin girls soon. But even then, it doesn't really sink in. Well, the last month we have been taking a birth and baby class on wednesday nights. Its not the lamaz type class, but more of an informative class of what to expect, how to deal with things etc. EVEN THEN, it has not really sunk in. But last night while at the class, we got to do a tour of the maternity ward and while we were there I got to see a new father looking thru the glass at his new born baby. I also at that time got to see the baby carried thru the hall into the staging or observation area. All this took about 10 seconds for me to notice everything, but I seriously about broke into tears. Its finally starting to get real.

I can only imagine what its going to be like the first time I actually get to see and hold my daughters for the first time......I doubt I will even try to hold back....I will probably be more of a emotional wreck then anyone.

I can't wait. :love:

haha, thanks for listening

The night my first son (now 20) was born, I was all business; get the wife to the hospital, talk to the doctor, keep an eye on all goings on, etc. etc......until he was born and I knew he was healthy, his mom was in great shape, and both were going to be fine.

I finally got home about 0300 that night and laid down on my bed and cried for about two hours. The combination of sheer joy and absolute relief just did me in. Your turn is coming, my friend..... :cool:

Congrats, HillBilly - you're about to make lifelong memories.

Best Regards - B.B.S.

I'm not going to say I know first hand but I think all guys are like you are, sorta disconnected until you hold the lil ones in your arms. Then it finally hits home.

My best wishes to you and your new additions to the family.

Erick,

It may not hit you until that very moment you hold one in your arms for the first time. But when it hits, it could come either of two ways depending on the man.
1) instantaneously like God himself dropped Mt. Everest right on top of your head or
2) slowly creeping in from the edges of your awareness as you start to do all the little things like diaper, standing cribside, stroking their hair (if ithey have hair).
I'm guessing for you it'll be #1. :D

Oh, and one word of friendly advice...when all this attention is being paid to the new ones, make sure you pay as much attention to the new mom as you possibly can. The potential seriousness of postpartum depression cannot be underestimated.

Wilkey

Erick,

It may not hit you until that very moment you hold one in your arms for the first time. But when it hits, it could come either of two ways depending on the man.
1) instantaneously like God himself dropped Mt. Everest right on top of your head or
2) slowly creeping in from the edges of your awareness as you start to do all the little things like diaper, standing cribside, stroking their hair (if ithey have hair).

Oh, and one word of friendly advice...when all this attention is being paid to the new ones, make sure you pay as much attention to the new mom as you possibly can. The potential seriousness of postpartum depression cannot be underestimated.

Wilkey

Thanks, I will remember that!!! :thumbs:

I addopted my first daughter when she was 3. She was alredy a year old when I met her so it was not until she was six years old when my first blood child was born.

I can remember being happy, scared and just about everything in between.

Take my word for it that when you get your first chance to hold them you will know that all is well and you will know all the right things to do............... its in you, you just have not had the reason to sence it yet.

GOOD LUCK BRO!!!!!!

Read your post and thought back 11 years to the birth of my first. It's emotional for sure....pure joy!!

The doctor handed me my daughter and I counted arms/legs/fingers/toes and couldn't figure why God would give me something so perfect when I don't really deserve it. The tears started flowing and I was so unbelievably filled with something indescribable.

When it was time to take Hannah home, I put her in the car, started it and couldn't move the car, I was afraid something would happen to my perfect gift.

If you love them this much before they are born, you're already a great Dad!!

Take care of Mom and the girls!

Any names picked out yet?

Wow you just described what I went through last year. With the exception that we did not have twins. All of my friends kept preparing me for the things my wife would be going through like the crying, the worrying and eveything that we hear about. But to my surprise I was the one that was a basket case. The last three months of the pragnancy I was in a daze. I found myself just sitting at my desk for the most part of every day just thinking about everything. Well my son is six months now and my life is still crazy but I believe we are given the tools to step up to the plate when the time comes and be the a dad that is needed. Enjoy every moment of it! Definitely one of the best experiences of my life. Absolutely amazing.

Best wishes,
Jim

Eric.........It has been a while since my daughter was born(25 years), but I remember the moment she was first put in my hands, just like it was yesterday..........I felt like I was on top of the world...........
Enjoy that day, my friend. You will treasure that day the rest of your life...............

Best wishes for the two, and you and your wife...........may God bless...............

........John

I'm a type 2 guy myself. When my first was born I was anticipating the Mt Everest on the head type of reaction that a few close friends at the time had experienced ........ nope ....... nothing. Okay, maybe when the second one was born 4 years later ....... nope ....... nada again. I was actually a bit worried at the time :laugh: .

I also remember recognizing my life changing and wondering what the hell is going on around here? Then BAM! your driving a f'n mini-van :0 ...... turned out I was made to be a Dad, Father, Papi.

:cool:

I'm a type 2 guy myself. When my first was born I was anticipating the Mt Everest on the head type of reaction that a few close friends at the time had experienced ........ nope ....... nothing. Okay, maybe when the second one was born 4 years later ....... nope ....... nada again. I was actually a bit worried at the time :laugh: .

I also remember recognizing my life changing and wondering what the hell is going on around here? Then BAM! your driving a f'n mini-van :0 ...... turned out I was made to be a Dad, Father, Papi.

:cool:

That's me also. I really started feeling like a dad when my now 18 month old started laughing at me, crawling/walking in my general direction and was able to play and follow me around. Now I feel like a dad. I like babies, don't get me wrong, but it's nothing compared to when they finally realize who you are. That's when it starts getting good!

(He) never gives us more than we can handle

The best part of life is having children

I'd say work on that JWB and nothing will really effect you, you can sleep through all the labor. :0

Congratulations, Erick. No better feeling in this lifetime than to hold your newborn child(ren).

Erick,

Wilkey

Wilkey is so right...be sure that both you and your wife ask the doctor to prescribe a small amount of hormone "mommy blue pills" just in case you wife needs them. They will make your life better as well because there is nothing like seeing a new mom holding her kids and crying uncontrollably with her saying nothing is wrong to make you miserable. Not to say everyone is that way.

No. 1 here...it was an experience that was wonderful and scary as hell at the same time. I have twins, one boy and one girl both born 4 seconds apart in the same minute...yep two doctors because the situation was turning bad. Girl was ok, then the boy. (he is ok) As soon as he started to cry they realized something was wrong with his breathing but tried to work him along then eventually taking him to the NICU for a week. All is well but like I mentioned scary as hell but rewarding.

Fatherhood is the best job in the world. Take it all as it comes and suck in every minute of it. Nothing gives your life meaning like having children.

Just make sure you don't give them any jerky for awhile... :laugh:

Erick you'll do fine, the feeling is indescribable!