• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Spring Break Road Trip Pass

A couple links for us to consider and read or re-read.

A Cigar Pass Primer/FAQ

A Few Thoughts

Like I told soul, we will all be the judge of P/T's. As far as rarity, IMO this is the most difficult part to consider for equal puts and takes. Each P/T will be considered on a case by case situation. This links give some great opinions by valued members. There are also many examples of HTF's for HTF's in completed and in progress passes. Don't be afraid to ask a question, to me or to the group. That is how we all learn! :thumbs:

Thoughts, opinions?

Great info in these two thread and some logical conclusions. I think I've read both at least a few times prior to this.

One thing we may want to establish is the NC/ISOM thing. In passes which start with both NCs and CCs, the NC for NC, ISOM for ISOM rule is common practice in most cases. However, as this pass begins with only NCs, is ISOM for NC acceptable? Then, what would be the rule for ISOM takes?

Hypothetically, let's say there is a HTF or high dollar NC stick that a passer wants, but the passer only has CC sticks that would be equitable for a trade. Is a P/T in this case acceptable? If so, I'd assume any future ISOM takes would have to be for ISOM puts.

Ultimately, we need to decide if this is a NC only pass, or if this can evolve into a mix of NCs and CCs.

Opinions?

A Cigar Pass Primer/FAQ

A Few Thoughts

Like I told soul, we will all be the judge of P/T's. As far as rarity, IMO this is the most difficult part to consider for equal puts and takes. Each P/T will be considered on a case by case situation. This links give some great opinions by valued members. There are also many examples of HTF's for HTF's in completed and in progress passes. Don't be afraid to ask a question, to me or to the group. That is how we all learn! :thumbs:

Thoughts, opinions?

Great info in these two thread and some logical conclusions. I think I've read both at least a few times prior to this.

One thing we may want to establish is the NC/ISOM thing. In passes which start with both NCs and CCs, the NC for NC, ISOM for ISOM rule is common practice in most cases. However, as this pass begins with only NCs, is ISOM for NC acceptable? Then, what would be the rule for ISOM takes?

Hypothetically, let's say there is a HTF or high dollar NC stick that a passer wants, but the passer only has CC sticks that would be equitable for a trade. Is a P/T in this case acceptable? If so, I'd assume any future ISOM takes would have to be for ISOM puts.

Ultimately, we need to decide if this is a NC only pass, or if this can evolve into a mix of NCs and CCs.

Opinions?

A Cigar Pass Primer/FAQ

A Few Thoughts

Thoughts, opinions?

Great question. I meant to include something about this in the rules, however lets see what the rest of the passers think? I have very little experience with ISOM, and wouldn't have a problem with them being included. However I don't want to cause confusion or disagreements. Thoughts everyone else?

Great question. I meant to include something about this in the rules, however lets see what the rest of the passers think? I have very little experience with ISOM, and wouldn't have a problem with them being included. However I don't want to cause confusion or disagreements. Thoughts everyone else?

As a simpler way to phrase what was proposed, I would call it "take NC/ put NC or ISOM" and "take ISOM/ put ISOM."

Let's see what everyone thinks.

I thought i posted earlier to say thanks but i guess not, so thanks for including me in this pass. I think it will be a good distraction from school. As for ISOMs puts and takes and for any put/take for that matter, I think we each should use our best judgement beforehand when we get the sticks. Then post our p/t's and if something seems way off, the rest of the passers can give it the thumbs up or thumbs down. As I've seen, it really just comes down to a stick by stick basis.

I agree with BPJ.

Although a good rule that I learned from past passes is to make your puts better than your takes. This way the pass is stronger. Make sense?

As a simpler way to phrase what was proposed, I would call it "take NC/ put NC or ISOM" and "take ISOM/ put ISOM."

Let's see what everyone thinks.

I think we should be very careful about the idea of ISOMs for authenticity reasons. I read thread after thread about this issue. I am willing to follow along with what everyone else is willing to do, but I feel it is very important to have a way to disclose and verify an authentic source discretely. Just my .02 for what it is worth.

Jim

I think we should be very careful about the idea of ISOMs for authenticity reasons. I read thread after thread about this issue. I am willing to follow along with what everyone else is willing to do, but I feel it is very important to have a way to disclose and verify an authentic source discretely. Just my .02 for what it is worth.

Jim
I'm with ya with that thought Step, but is there an established member in this pass everyone would be O.K. with to do that? ??? ???

I'm sorry guys...i totally forgot about this...looks like a good pass... I need to restock on 'better' cigars anyways! Have a good time!

-Aaron

I was just in a pass with Jlada, maybe he would be up to the challenge? But again I am just on for the ride, so I will go along with the decision of the member who invited me to the party :).

Jim

As a foreword: I'm no authority -- just offering my opinion and stating what I have learned.

To be completely honest, I lean toward avoiding CC's in this pass for four reasons.

1) For most, this is their first pass. I'm generalizing here, but I'm willing to guess not everyone in the pass is familiar with ISOM MSRP nor are the familiar with rarity. Put/takes will inevitably migrate from fun to chore.

2) The starting list is completely NC. While I truly have no issue with putting a comparable CC for a NC, or vice versa, allowing this will cause an obvious shift in contents that will be remarkably unfair for people later in the pass. If you're going to allow ISOMs to be put, start the pass with some ISOMs - otherwise it could be misconstrued as profiteering or unfair.

3) Avoiding the hassle of fakes/verifying sources/ensuring authenticity. Paging Dr. Wilkey, anyone?

4) I see less than 10 cigars on the starting list that I feel would be fitting for a swap with a mid range ISOM. Obviously this will not be the case later on down the pass, where more ISOM puts could become viable.

Also, guys, there is no written rule that says you have to leave a pass with better puts than takes. It's equal puts and takes. If everyone made their puts much better than their takes, the pass could pretty much start with anything and then escalate to complete HTFs. As you can imagine, if the first passer takes 6 cigars at "X dollars" a piece and then puts 6 cigars at "X+2 dollars" (or even less) it can easily get out of hand by the middle/end of the pass.

Then again, you're definitely going to run into the generous brother that throws in a couple smokes and doesn't take any. I always try to add a cigar to the pass that is on someone's wish list later on down the pass. Also, you'll run into the brother that throws in a HTF of high dollar for a HTF of medium dollar (Example: Someone takes a Hemi Maduro Sig and puts a HTF Opus or similar).

As for putting/taking on Anejo/Opus: always use MSRP for $ value. Many of us pay MSRP + "x" for Opus. Some can get MSRP -- most can't. However, it's fair for everyone to use MSRP. Rarity plays an important role in putting/taking Opus and Anejo in my opinion. Obviously, I'm not going to to take a Shark and put in a Gurkha. However, I'd definitely consider taking a Shark and putting in something of comparable price/rarity -- such as an Opus vitola, a special release cigar of some sort, etc.

Just one man's opinion.

Edit: Spelling.

Some good points by all. I think for this pass it would be best to leave ISOM smokes out, to avoid confusion/disagreements. However since I didn't specify this at the beginning, let me know if anyone has a problem with this. Thanks for all the input :cool:

And now for our first contest! Winner will receive a nice 5'er of smokes from my humi.

Predict the match up and winner of the NCAA mens college basketball championship game. Include a final score as the tie-breaker. Whoever has the match up and winner right will be the winner. I am the judge and jury on this one.

One guess, no edits and guess must be made before tip-off of the final four on saturday.

Edit to add: This is open to pass participants only

Some good points by all. I think for this pass it would be best to leave ISOM smokes out, to avoid confusion/disagreements. However since I didn't specify this at the beginning, let me know if anyone has a problem with this. Thanks for all the input :cool:

No problem on my end. It's your pass, Dustin, and it's your decision. :cool: