• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The tragedies of winter

And why is this so different then the licking many people do before lighting their cigars?
OK Ray, you are an oral man, we get it ??? ...noted for posterity. Hell, I wish I had an AVB girl to lick mine :laugh:

Brian

I like slobbering as anyone that knows me will tell you. :laugh:

The splitting is caused by the outside being drier than the inside. So this method won't have much effect on a completely dried out cigar but won't hurt it, either. In my experience, it works well on a cigar that has spent a short time out of the humi.

The splitting is caused by the outside being drier than the inside. So this method won't have much effect on a completely dried out cigar but won't hurt it, either.
Steve,
I should work just fine on totally dried out cigars as well. The reason being that when the tobacco combusts, water vapor is one product of the combustion (along with carbon dioxide). This is probably a small effect though but the other factor that accounts for expansion of the bunch is that as you draw, the hot air may warm up and swell the tobacco somewhat. In any case, moistening should not hurt.

Wilkey

Wow, thanks Wilkey. I would never have thought of it, although it makes perfect sense.

It will be so nice not having to pass up a better smoke in fear of it splitting.

Wilkey deep throating a stogie is an image I could have left alone.

I use something ggeise suggested - chap stick. You don't have to lather em up, but it sure works. One light run every quarter, then spread that side to side. Remarkably, the cherry flavor actually has no detectable odor or taste, but the unflavored version does.

As a noob I had no knowledge of the Mtn. spring version, but had been taught a similar method with a small spray bottle (the ones that produce a fine mist) filled with distilled water. This method almost eliminated the potential of getting water in the foot...plus it's portable.

Anyway, it's great to hear that this method I've been using has some validity to it.

And why is this so different then the licking many people do before lighting their cigars?

1. It doesn't take as long.
2. It isn't as much fun.

One should note that technique is something of an art when pouring/running water over the soon-to-be-smoked cigar. Ginseng's comment about daubing the cigar with a towel after wetting should not be overlooked. So,

3. Unlike licking, you need to towel off afterwards :laugh:

Cheers,
antaean

Just put a tea kettle on the wood stove. Damn flatlanders.

Doc.

When smoking in the dead of dry winter, I typically rinse the cigar in a gentle stream of water prior to lighting up. Since I've been doing this, I've never had a wrapper split on me.

Wilkey

Just got finished with a cigar that I tried wetting down.
28F 40%RH outside and never a mistep by the wrapper.
Review link

John

I will have to try this method on my last Gurkha Fuerte that I have. I got 5 of these in a sampler and gave two of them to my step-dad and I smoked 2, all split. What is the "chapstick" method? This one I don't see at all.

I'll most likely use the spray bottle technique.