• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Ultimate Cigar Book - Pass

Stupid question:

Has anyone considered, and Is there anyway one of the pass participants can scan the book and make it into a PDF?

I'm not sure if there is anything stopping this from happening, scanning books isn't something I'm familiar with.
I believe there would be copyright concerns with distributing digital scans of the book - not sure though.

It's like the usage difference between me playing a copyrighted song for you vs posting the song for everyone to download.

Stupid question:

Has anyone considered, and Is there anyway one of the pass participants can scan the book and make it into a PDF?

I'm not sure if there is anything stopping this from happening, scanning books isn't something I'm familiar with.
I believe there would be copyright concerns with distributing digital scans of the book - not sure though.

It's like the usage difference between me playing a copyrighted song for you vs posting the song for everyone to download.

Even though it is out of print?

Stupid question:

Even though it is out of print?
It is my understanding that it would still be a violation based on the recent date of the copyright. However, I'm certainly no expert on copyright law and how it specifically applies to published books.

Perhaps someone more qualified than me could chime in with a definitive answer.

I've been following the thread, and although the issues earlier on were worked out, there's always the chance of something happening to the book, which should be of concern, considering, it is valued at over $150 dollars online. On the DE Shaving Forum I'm a part of, there was a early 20th century barber's manual that someone had made copies of and was sending around, I figured maybe it could apply here.

As I understand it, it's not a matter of how 'available' it is, but more a question of the age of the work. Time limits vary from country to country, but typically a work is protected for a number of years beyond the death of the creater. Here's the link to the Wikipedia entry for copyright, as well as a link providing some explanations of copyright.

For your barber manual example, depending on how old the book is, it might be permissible to copy and circulate it in the manner you described. However, if the author is still living, or the copyright holder has taken steps to renew and preserve the copyright, it might not be in the public domain - might be an idea to check into that, just in case.

Plus, who would be the one scanning this book page after page....after page.

NOT IT!

Out-of-print does not mean out-of- copyright. When a book goes out-of-print it is a temporary state. The rights generally revert to the author, which means the underlying copyright remains unaffected. There are plenty of movies I'd love to see but not available.

As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years.

Then if its a page or two there isfair use

But interesting question for all can Cigar blends be copywritten?

Let me tell you how music works. You can record any tune; but to avoid paying royalty charges you have to change 'A' meaning one, a note within 8 measures. As long as you do that, you can play it and to the untrained or someone who is not reading the score, you sound just like Little Richard.

What does that do for your book, dang if I know, just another semi-useless opinion. :laugh:

JD, got the book. Thanks for the sweet hitchhikers! Something nice to puff while doing some learnin'.
Is there a list for who's next? I lost track.

I would like to get on the list if I can. Thanks guys!!
thumbs-up.gif

I finished the book, ready to send to the next in line, who I believe is yorkcigar. I will PM to make sure he's still in. Lots of great info and interesting stories!
One thing I thought was weird was the picture of the glass top Cohibas, which were all mismatched color-wise, and the author believed they were genuine. I was under the impression that all glass-tops were fakes. What gives there?

Hmmm, I can't find yorkcigar on the member list. MIA? Who would be next then? Or does it go back home?

I'd love to get my hands on this book for a readh after Anthony if possible.

If you are still taking member, I'm in. By the way, I've been a member for a while, anyone know how to get my status changed from newbie?