• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thoughts on the Inauguration

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an historic day, regardless of who placed their hand on the bible and swore an oath. Today starts a new era, whether for good or bad, and that makes it historic. President Bush, and President Obama ARE my president, and as such I owe them respect and allegiance, no matter what I feel about them personally. If I can't respect the office, what right do I have to thrive in this republic?

CJ, your post is political. You cannot possibly rationalize that.

Guys, you can bat it around and look stupid until Rod chews you all out, or you can just drop it now. C'mon folks. Even if you didn't start it, you should not post in a political thread.

You had time to watch TV?
Guess I was too busy with class and work.

That is EXACTLY what I thought. The roads were empty. All our "information panels" at work had the inauguration on and people were huddled around them for hours.

If you count the $170M for the ceremony and the COUNTLESS work lost from people either calling in sick/vacation or just watching it online we lost a ton of money. I'm all for giving respect to the position and I'm not griping I'm just pointing out any interesting parallel to the fact that we have suck a bad economy... Or so I have been told.

EDIT to say, I apologize now, I agree with Null and shouldn't even have posted on a thread that most like will go nuclear(political). Sorry folks.

Classless. That's the only word that comes to mind when hearing your story and hearing the chants that came through on TV. No matter what you think of any of our Presidents, you show respect. The office of the President is bigger than a single person or party and it is extremely disrespectful to not treat the person in office, or a former President, with anything less than respect. I for one would never want to handle the decisions Presidents make day in and day out.

Ironic, and disappointing, that President Obama's message today about working together and engaging in respectful discussion fell on so many deaf ears.

I'm not surprised at all, that people would booo the president. People don't respect anyone these days.

What the hell did he expect, beer and skittles.

Doc.

I see this thread crashing and burning.

The observation is on point and a disgrace to boo someone in that situation. People have lost all civility in their manner and that is what is wrong. There is a time and place for everything and that was the wrong place and time.

Now to cigar content. I wonder what cigar 43 will smoke and if 44's wife will let him smoke a cigar tonight in his new home?

Yep, and not only will it likely turn political but it has already been insinuated that a newbies belief is not welcome here, so it may crash and burn in more ways than one.

People's attitude toward Bush kinda irks me too. I didn't vote for him but he was still our President. I didn't vote for Obama but he's still the man that got the job. What ever happened to respect?

Respect is earned. Its not an automatic thing. I don't have respect for Bush Jr and I have none for Obama either. Mabye Obama can earn it from me. Sofar though i don't see it happening

Respect is earned. Its not an automatic thing. I don't have respect for Bush Jr and I have none for Obama either. Mabye Obama can earn it from me. Sofar though i don't see it happening
I'm pretty sure the office of the Presidency must be earned. Once a man has earned that office in the USA, he has my respect.

People's attitude toward Bush kinda irks me too. I didn't vote for him but he was still our President. I didn't vote for Obama but he's still the man that got the job. What ever happened to respect?

I think he meant more along the lines of people treating others with respect. Something that should be a given.

Not the "I command you to respect me" thing.

Closing thread before it goes awry.

Status
Not open for further replies.