• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

To Age a Cigar?

cigarsarge said:
Just a little personal info for you. I have rated cigars for Smoke magazine. Granted...They sent me a bunch of cigars twice. It was blind reviews each time.

Well...I sent my reviews in. Some of the cigars I rated just happened to have ads in the magazine. I rated some of the cigars in the ads poorly. Guess what...My words were changed to reflect the sponsors cigars in a favorable light.

Do you have your original review to compare to what was printed Sarge? I'd be interested in seeing how they were edited! :thumbs:

TonyDogs said:
I totally disagree with you.
If you are a true conusor of cigars your rating system does matter. The cigars that I have had that have rating above 80 are very tasty. The cigars that are rated 90 and up are awesome! I have also found high rated cigar at a low price.

So thanks for the response but I will stick to the ratings system for me.
Thats my take
TonyDogs ;)
[snapback]205079[/snapback]​

So if you find that 87 rated smoke and you think its ok, but then a few months later it gets rated a 91, you'll think its better all of a sudden?

and as for
If you are a true conusor of cigars your rating system does matter.

I would consider myself a connoiseur and quite frankly, I'd wipe my a$$ with a 92 rated cigar if I didn't like it. I think the point that people are trying to make but you are ignoring is that you shouldn't let some "rating" dictate what you smoke.

I've had buddies tell me to smoke cigars that weren't rated and they were damn good smokes.

Wiping your a$$ with a cigar is probably a bad idea. First, if it's really 92 rated, you could've found someone on the board here who would be willing to trade you for it. But more importantly, cigars are shaped in such a way that they should be kept as far away from your anus as possible. It's bad enough that we put the head in our mouth and smoke it, let's keep them away from the other orifices!

ricmac25 said:
TonyDogs said:
If you are a true conusor of cigars your rating system does matter. The cigars that I have had that have rating above 80 are very tasty. The cigars that are rated 90 and up are awesome! I have also found high rated cigar at a low price.

Thats my take
TonyDogs ;)

So if you find that 87 rated smoke and you think its ok, but then a few months later it gets rated a 91, you'll think its better all of a sudden?

and as for
If you are a true conusor of cigars your rating system does matter.

I would consider myself a connoiseur and quite frankly, I'd wipe my a$$ with a 92 rated cigar if I didn't like it. I think the point that people are trying to make but you are ignoring is that you shouldn't let some "rating" dictate what you smoke.

I've had buddies tell me to smoke cigars that weren't rated and they were damn good smokes.
[snapback]205184[/snapback]​

MilesMingusMonk said:
cigarsarge said:
Just a little personal info for you. I have rated cigars for Smoke magazine. Granted...They sent me a bunch of cigars twice. It was blind reviews each time.

Well...I sent my reviews in. Some of the cigars I rated just happened to have ads in the magazine. I rated some of the cigars in the ads poorly. Guess what...My words were changed to reflect the sponsors cigars in a favorable light.

Do you have your original review to compare to what was printed Sarge? I'd be interested in seeing how they were edited! :thumbs:
[snapback]205173[/snapback]​

Sent the origional reviews in without making copies. Put it this way...It was hard to pick out my reviews they were changed so much.

There are some pretty terrible cigars that get rated really well in CA. For that matter, if you are smoking cigars rated 80 and up, that is not much of a discriminator. Let me just pull out a random CA magazine..let's see here, April 2005, the one with Morgan Freeman...78 cigars rated, says so on the front cover. Guess how many rated below an 80? Zero. So essentially, you'll smoke anything, as long as it is rated by CA.

That is very limiting, and you're going to smoke only a fraction of what you could be.

Listen to the buys on this board, and they will improve your cigar smoking experience much more than CA, and with no subscription fee.

And welcome to Cigar Pass!

JK

kevpriest said:
Wiping your a$$ with a cigar is probably a bad idea.

I don't know. I think I disagree.

How do you think Habanos get that unique manure smell?

I like blue jeans...he likes cords. Go figure! :laugh:

Try EVERYTHING...and then come back here and you'll find that you like a cigar that most of us here haven't heard of. Maybe not...but don't just stick with ratings...it's hurts the overall experience of trying new things...like blue jeans and orafices :D

-Fetter

The guys on this forum know what they are talking about. I have listened to them alot and have come up with quite a collection. Some to smoke now and some to age.

cigarsarge said:
TonyDogs said:
Allofus123 said:
TonyDogs said:
I am building my collection so that I have nothing under 80 rating in it. :D
[snapback]204921[/snapback]​

This is off the topic of aging but....... ratings from a magazine or anyplace else is no more than someones opinion. Don't let a magazine dictate what you smoke. Give everyone here the same unbanded cigar and tell them to rate it and you'll get everything from hated it to loved it.
[snapback]205028[/snapback]​

Thats my take
TonyDogs ;)

So you're gonna let ratings infulenced by people who take ads out in magazines infulence you smoking. Hope you like a light wallet and potentally crappy cgars.

A word to the wise is sufficient. :thumbs:

edited for spelling
[snapback]205144[/snapback]​
very interesting,

I want to thank all you guys for your thoughts and what not.

Ok guys tell me then, What is a top cigar that is not Rated?