• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

To those of us using FireFox

LockOut

This made an incredible difference in my firefox page load times. Just passing it along

(Copy & pasted from another site)

Reduce the amount of RAM Firefox uses for its cache feature

1. Type “about:config” (no quotes) in the adress bar in the browser.
2. Find “browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewer”
3. Set it’s value to “0“;(Zero)

Increase the Speed at Which Firefox loads pages

1. Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit Enter.
(Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.)
2. Alter the entries as follows:
Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”
Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”
Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to some number like 10.
This means it will make 10 requests at once.
3. Lastly, right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0“;.(Zero)
This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives. If you’re using a broadband connection you’ll load pages faster now.
Optionally (for even faster web browsing) here are some more options for your about:config (you might have to create some of these entries by Right Click –> New– > Interger or String
network.dns.disableIPv6: set “false”
“content.notify.backoffcount”: set “5“; (Five)
“plugin.expose_full_path”: set “true”.
“ui.submenuDelay”: set “0; (zero)

Reduce RAM usage to 10MB when Firefox is minimized:

This little hack will drop Firefox’s RAM usage down to 10 Mb when minimized:
1. Open Firefox and go to the Address Bar. Type in about:config and then press Enter.
2. Right Click in the page and select New -> Boolean.
3. In the box that pops up enter “config.trim_on_minimize”. Press Enter.
4. Now select True and then press Enter.
5. Restart Firefox.

A good tip for us Firefox users....thanks for refreshing my memory about this.

I'll try these out, but I'm curious at what expense the improvements come.

What a coincidence, I stumbled on this yesterday actually. Ever since I started using it it has averaged out to be the same. The reason I say averaged is because some sites seem to load a lot faster than before yet other sites a lot slower than before. Could just be my set-up though :).

*edited a couple words

What a coincidence, I stumbled on this yesterday actually. Ever since I started using it it has averaged out to be the same. The reason I say averaged is because some sites seem to load a lot faster than before yet other sites a lot slower than before. Could just be my set-up though :).

*edited a couple words

Could be an ad banner issue too. Some site use third party ad servers which cause them to 'appear' to load slow when in reality, what they are really doing is waiting on a third party server. AdBlock is good solution and works well in conjunction with these changes. One more thing re: AdBlock, after installing, some sites will drag and still act as though they are trying to load 3rd party ad banners. With these, you have to go in manually add the block to the list. Page loading speed will then increase dramatically.

Good luck!

*edited a couple words

Could be an ad banner issue too. Some site use third party ad servers which cause them to 'appear' to load slow when in reality, what they are really doing is waiting on a third party server. AdBlock is good solution and works well in conjunction with these changes. One more thing re: AdBlock, after installing, some sites will drag and still act as though they are trying to load 3rd party ad banners. With these, you have to go in manually add the block to the list. Page loading speed will then increase dramatically.

Good luck!

i run adblock on everything I have, and thne I get on a friends computer or a public computer and I get so confused cuz the pages are spaced out differently when there are adds all over the place.

*edited a couple words

Good luck!

I use to use Adblock on my old computer but for some reason it would attempt to block flash videos. It would play sound and no video so i had to uninstall that add-on. Then again my old computer was a P.O.S. (it was the family computer, I'm pretty much the only actual computer literate person in my family so it was always up to me to fix viruses, trojans, and various other damages) which is why I built my new comp and i totally forgot about Adblock. I'll make sure to try it out and see if it helps. Thanks

Our banners are hosted locally, so that will not slow down performance one bit. Shame to hear some of you are using adblock at CP, since it's primarily the sponsors who help pay the bills. In addition, I try to be very conservative with who we choose as sponsors, and also limit the ads to only one minor banner ad at the top of the forum. I hope you'll reconsider using adblock here, as our sponsors actually benefit the community, not only financially with helping to pay the bills, but with the value they ad as cigar retailers. We're not like other sites who bombard you with ads, we're not out to make money with a banner farm (like some :whistling: ) ... Either way, you're free to use adblock if choose, but you may miss out on specials and announcements.

By the way, thanks for the tip, FF runs much faster now. :thumbs:

Our banners are hosted locally, so that will not slow down performance one bit. Shame to hear some of you are using adblock at CP, since it's primarily the sponsors who help pay the bills. In addition, I try to be very conservative with who we choose as sponsors, and also limit the ads to only one minor banner ad at the top of the forum. I hope you'll reconsider using adblock here, as our sponsors actually benefit the community, not only financially with helping to pay the bills, but with the value they ad as cigar retailers. We're not like other sites who bombard you with ads, we're not out to make money with a banner farm (like some :whistling: ) ... Either way, you're free to use adblock if choose, but you may miss out on specials and announcements.

By the way, thanks for the tip, FF runs much faster now. :thumbs:

CP is on my exceptions list on AdBlocker... :D

Ok, now find me the hack that refreshes a page every time you visit, whether forward or backward navigating.