• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today’s Smoke 2019

To be honest, I thought bloom was a mold or fungus, not crystallized oils. Tobacco is supposed to be fermented, and I had assumed that the visible bloom was the fermenting organism hitting a critical level in its growth, having nowhere else for the mycelium to colonize, and sprouting fruiting bodies. The visible bloom being the fruiting bodies. I did a little more reading after that RyJ, and now think that it is just one of several strains of mold that have nothing to do with crystallized oils and little to do with the breaking down of tobacco to ferment. There was another site doing testing of cigars that had bloom, and all of them were shown to be either a fungus, or a bacteria.

To be honest, I thought bloom was a mold or fungus, not crystallized oils. Tobacco is supposed to be fermented, and I had assumed that the visible bloom was the fermenting organism hitting a critical level in its growth, having nowhere else for the mycelium to colonize, and sprouting fruiting bodies. The visible bloom being the fruiting bodies. I did a little more reading after that RyJ, and now think that it is just one of several strains of mold that have nothing to do with crystallized oils and little to do with the breaking down of tobacco to ferment. There was another site doing testing of cigars that had bloom, and all of them were shown to be either a fungus, or a bacteria.
So now you know that when someone says it Bloom, you just smile and nod your head the same way you do when someone brings home glass top Cubans.

You are right... and wrong...

You are correct in your assumption that most all of the reported “plume” declarations are mold, as the site “down under” reported... you are incorrect about the crystallized oils on very old, well cared for cigars... “Plume (bloom) is essentially solidified oil from your cigar. When the oil within the cigar is exuded from within, it crystalises on the surface of the cigar to form a white or grayish powder that is plume. It can look similar to mold in some cases, but plume looks more powdery whereas mold usually looks more spotty”

There is no way I am sending (or anyone else would send) a $200 to $400 cigar to get tested, secondly, and as stated before... out of 10s of thousands of cigars I’ve seen, I can count on 1 hand the real “plume” I have seen on a cigar, so as rare as it is, it is not impossible...

You are correct in your assumption that most all of the reported “plume” declarations are mold, as the site “down under” reported... you are incorrect about the crystallized oils on very old, well cared for cigars... “Plume (bloom) is essentially solidified oil from your cigar. When the oil within the cigar is exuded from within, it crystalises on the surface of the cigar to form a white or grayish powder that is plume. It can look similar to mold in some cases, but plume looks more powdery whereas mold usually looks more spotty”

There is no way I am sending (or anyone else would send) a $200 to $400 cigar to get tested, secondly, and as stated before... out of 10s of thousands of cigars I’ve seen, I can count on 1 hand the real “plume” I have seen on a cigar, so as rare as it is, it is not impossible...
Do you know how this extrusion happens? What causes it? Is it the oils hitchhiking on evaporation? Do organisms carry it?

Also, why do they need a whole cigar for testing? Shouldn't a small sample beenough for analysis?

Do you know how this extrusion happens? What causes it? Is it the oils hitchhiking on evaporation? Do organisms carry it?
Also, why do they need a whole cigar for testing? Shouldn't a small sample beenough for analysis?
Here is a great article exposing the flaws in the “tests” done “down under” and explains how the rare, but possible plume forms:

Here is a great article exposing the flaws in the “tests” done “down under” and explains how the rare, but possible plume forms:
Great read, thanks. Wish he wrote a little more.