• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke 2016

With one example from a box it is difficult to tell whether it was that one cigar or or whether or it is systemic to the entire batch. It is difficult to dismiss all CC cigars based on one example. In former times (like Napa said) it was a pretty well accepted axiom that a couple of years of aging was required to ward off signs of youth. Many of those cigars emitted one of the sure signs of youth, ammonia. Currently, however, the matrix has changed and in my personal experience no cigar has tasted as if it required a couple of years of box time (that is not to say would not benefit from additional aging) but also no chemical odors were noted and I was actively trying to find them. My experience has been there is still a difference ROTT and a few weeks in the local environment seems to solve that. Just had a two 2014 cigars, a PLPC and a Parti Short received a couple of weeks ago and both were smoking like champs. Had a few 15 BBF's last week which were really good as well Punch Punch's that were good. While I can't say for sure that all CC's need the time in the box the recent examples smoked indicate something has changed from the good ole days.

Which of the marcas and or vitolas do you think need some time before they are ready? For me one of those which benefited from some time was the JL #4. First one's out of the box were nothing special and now they are smoking much better, but those were 2010 vintage. I'm sure there are more recent cigars 14, 15, which would require some time, but my humble, small sampling has not shown that to be the case. Keeping my fingers crossed that continues.:)
From my limited experience, I've noticed those smokes with stronger profiles like bolivar, partagas, tend to tone down strength wise after some rest. Personally, I don't look for smokes that are stronger, I'm a solid medium smoker.

Quesada Keg 2016 toro to finish off the first day of vacation. Been a while since I had the 15 but this is as good as I remembered it. If I recall, they kept the blend just added some new vitolas since last year. They do seem a bit moist right now so a good rest is in order.

2016 Tat TAA...really liked this smoke, maybe more than the 2015. Part of that is due to the softer boxpress and smaller RG, but the flavors are great. Starts off with a good dose of pepper that mellows out and then rich, sweet and earthy all the way through.

Man, somebody made a good score when I stuck one in a package before I even tried one...should have stuck with that Gurkha, lol.

Illusione f9. This cigar really frustrated me. I love the size and the initial flavors but for the life of me the damn wrapper wouldn't burn. It's not a good sign when you have to do three relights in the first two inches. Maybe I just need to drybox it the next time I try one. My humidor is pegged at around 68% which seems to work great for everything else. Whatever the cause, the fight wasn't worth it. After it tunneled some more on the last relight I bailed. I just hate doing that.

Illusione f9.... Whatever the cause, the fight wasn't worth it. After it tunneled some more on the last relight I bailed

F9 is a great smoke, when it doesn't tunnel. Sometimes I think Dion is so picky that they screw him by underfilling. Definitely dry box it if coming out of 68RH. They taste even better to me at 65 or even a tad under. (I long term store at 68-69) Next time, if it tunnels, give a little pinch behind the ember at you take a draw, and it will help with the tunnelling.

F9 is a great smoke, when it doesn't tunnel. Sometimes I think Dion is so picky that they screw him by underfilling. Definitely dry box it if coming out of 68RH. They taste even better to me at 65 or even a tad under. (I long term store at 68-69) Next time, if it tunnels, give a little pinch behind the ember at you take a draw, and it will help with the tunnelling.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm digging the effort you are putting into staging your photos, Ed. And let me know how that cigar was for you. I haven't tried the other one I got yet.