• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke 2017

Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust, Mi Querida Ancho Corto:
2017-02-10_19.54.25.jpg

I really liked this cigar. Dark, oily, thick dense smoke. I liked everything about this cigar except how it burned. Uneven burn the whole time. Other than that, it was pretty great. I will be picking up more in the future.

Caldwell Cigar Co., The King is Dead Premier:
PHOTO_20170210_222744.jpg

A couple of caveats ... This cigar looked amazing. Small pig tail cap. No cello. The band looked like a cover from an alt rock album. The wrapper was smooth. I never would have thought this cigar would be so "hot".

Notes: I did not notice there was a flaw in the wrapper after I bought it. The flaw did not affect the burn. I could say a lot about this cigar, but I'm not that great with words. If you can stretch out a cigar, it will "very very good". Too quick, and it's like eating 95% ground black pepper, 5% wasabi. Maybe mine was "fresh out the gate", but it was strong.

I think I would love this in an "A" size.

Last edited:
Killed a unicorn last night to celebrate the first night of the year warm enough to sit outside on the "stoop" downtown. A pre-production Don Carlos lancero I got from Carlito shortly after he was goaded into finally making some. Strong, strong, strong as hell...no way that was the "normal" blend if I was backing off this old of a cigar like I had to. Not usually a DC fan at all, but this was a great smoke...the final third was like a Cherry Dr. Pepper.

Edited to add: In the background is a custom mocktail that has Coco Lopez, citrus, a little soda and smoked liquified Red Hot candies. I know how that sounds, but with my fancy tastes I'm still just a pre-Juggalo era hood with my diabetes drinks.
tmp_19442-20170210_232014-330585792.jpg

I've never seen that band. Interesting that you said it was still spicy. Any info you care to share? (i.e., elaborate on the cigar, blend, your storage)

I smoked a ton of the Pepin made Black and also Blue labels.
When the Blue first came out, it was a spice and cedar bomb. I couldn't get enough of them. The spicy component would fade rather fast if you didn't store them in fairly high humidity.

Smoked another old J21 after lunch. This one wasn't as good as yesterday's, but still good. I've decided to just smoke the rest of the old ones up.

Edit to clarify.
The 601 White was the milder version with a Equadorian Connecticut wrapper and Nic filler and binder released in 2009 after discontinuing the similar 601 Black. Forerunner to the My Father Connecticut and similar in profile with a bit more pepper in the first half. Slightly less strength than either the MF or 601 Black. The years haven't changed the beginning pepper but I think the second half has gained in maltiness with age.
Edit to add: What made all of these unique was the combo of creaminess with the spicy NIC binder and filler.

Last edited:
The 601 White was the milder version with a Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper
Thanks! Guess I'll add the MF CT. to my list. The 601 Black was my Morning Cigar. I just got some of the reblended 601 Blue and Red. I hadn't realized someone was rolling them after Pepin stopped.

Thanks! Guess I'll add the MF CT. to my list. The 601 Black was my Morning Cigar. I just got some of the reblended 601 Blue and Red. I hadn't realized someone was rolling them after Pepin stopped.
IIRC, Erik Espinoza got them in the EO divorce. He rolled them at La Zona for a while, but recently he's passed production of 601 off to AJ Fernandez. Espinoza has La Zona focused on more "boutique" cigars I suppose.