• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke 2021

What a fucking week. One more day. Or as Jean Valjean might put it, One day more.

So to begin closing out this sucky week, an Aladino Rubusto Maduro. Bill suggested I try one of these on one of the herfs, to give an idea of perhaps what Camachos used to be like (I like Camachos, but I'm too young to have known them In The Old Days, ha ha ha). A bit of Pyrat on the rocks (it's like August already here in the Suburbs of Hell)....

Ahhh....

20210520_173012.jpg

What a fucking week. One more day. Or as Jean Valjean might put it, One day more.

So to begin closing out this sucky week, an Aladino Rubusto Maduro. Bill suggested I try one of these on one of the herfs, to give an idea of perhaps what Camachos used to be like (I like Camachos, but I'm too young to have known them In The Old Days, ha ha ha). A bit of Pyrat on the rocks (it's like August already here in the Suburbs of Hell)....

Ahhh....

View attachment 42738
How is the Pyrat?

Ahhh....

View attachment 42738

Ok, I'm a bit confused (not hard to do). Listening to The Cigar Authority podcast, and they had the owner of Aladino cigars on (can't remember his name). I was under the impression that Aladino bought Camacho and made it their "corojo brand", thus changing the profile of traditional Camacho cigars drastically from what people remember. However, in the Davidoff thread, it was stated that Davidoff killed Camacho (profile-wise) when they acquired them. Is Aladino a subsidiary of Davidoff? I'll cross-post in that thread, as well.

Ok, I'm a bit confused (not hard to do). Listening to The Cigar Authority podcast, and they had the owner of Aladino cigars on (can't remember his name). I was under the impression that Aladino bought Camacho and made it their "corojo brand", thus changing the profile of traditional Camacho cigars drastically from what people remember. However, in the Davidoff thread, it was stated that Davidoff killed Camacho (profile-wise) when they acquired them. Is Aladino a subsidiary of Davidoff? I'll cross-post in that thread, as well.

As I understand it (which is usually wrong), Davidoff acquired Camacho in 2008 from the Eiroa family (Honduras). The Eiroas had owned the company since 1995, when they bought it from founder Simon Camacho. The Eiroas kept their farms in Honduras and sold tobacco to Davidoff. In 2016, the Eiroas started a new cigar maker, JRE, which owns the Aladino brand. This is just pieced together info, could be wrong.

At any rate, as far as I can tell, Aladino is not affiliated with Davidoff (or any other maker), and is a family-owned Honduran cigar maker.

How is the Pyrat?

The Pyrat is good. There are certainly better rums out there, but Pyrat is very affordable (I think that bottle was $29), and is very easy to drink. It is slightly sweet and very smooth. A nice change when you don't feel like whiskey.