• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke 2024

Viaje Private Keep Lime. 71° and a north wind of 8-q0 mph. This is very ROTT, but because it was a Viaje I just had to give it a try. Small palette cap, closed foot, firm body. Smoke is just touching medium, and yeah, I believe I do get just the hunt of lime. I bought a 5er, so maybe rest will bring on some changes, but we'll see. I don't see and stem pieces in the cap, that's nice. Well, man the lifeboats and full steam ahead.

IMG_0393.jpeg

So, brand new (to me) cigar: Guardian of the Farm. Smells delicious.

These have been mentioned a time or two in Jack's emails, but the truth is, this is the FIRST cigar I've purchased solely on the basis of it's name. You see, in Old Norse "Guardian of the Farm" is gardvorden, and the folklore & practices surrounding the gardvorden inform a great deal of my practice as a Heathen.

So. A story.

In the first part of the 20th C, in Rogaland, Norway, a folklorist/ethnographer was documenting local customs. When he asked a local farmer about the burial mound on his land, he was told it was for the gardvorden---the first ancestor, the one to originally clear the land, now its guardian---and that they used to sacrifice a farm animal on the mound whenever someone in the family died.

"Do you know when they last did that?" he asked.

"Oh, I remember we sacrificed an oxen when my grandfather died," the farmer replied.

Yep. Within the living memory of a 20th C farmer, animal sacrifices had been offered to ancestral spirits in Rogaland, Norway. The past, as Faulkner wrote, is not even past. 🙂

I'm not about to sacrifice Coop, the only "livestock" here, but if it's a good cigar I might gift the gardvorden a sip of my bourbon! ;)

GKSNypgXgAAMNja.jpeg

~Boar

Call to Arms Sumatra by Stolen Thrown. This is after lunch and "at the Shop " and yes I had to spend $15 to sit here. Waited to do the ash shot and it just dumped them in my lap. Screw the ass shot. Nice stick however. Burns straight, definite med/full, no spice, semi-mild pepper, did a retro - - - it do get your attention and there was something there but elusive to this dog. Gets a woof. Oh yeah, nice draw, easy.

View attachment 80494
Great to know the ash shot drops on others! Happens to me all the time lol.

Foundation Olmec Maduro
View attachment 80547

You sure seems to got a lotta bands there. ;)

So, brand new (to me) cigar: Guardian of the Farm. Smells delicious.

These have been mentioned a time or two in Jack's emails, but the truth is, this is the FIRST cigar I've purchased solely on the basis of it's name. You see, in Old Norse "Guardian of the Farm" is gardvorden, and the folklore & practices surrounding the gardvorden inform a great deal of my practice as a Heathen.

So. A story.

In the first part of the 20th C, in Rogaland, Norway, a folklorist/ethnographer was documenting local customs. When he asked a local farmer about the burial mound on his land, he was told it was for the gardvorden---the first ancestor, the one to originally clear the land, now its guardian---and that they used to sacrifice a farm animal on the mound whenever someone in the family died.

"Do you know when they last did that?" he asked.

"Oh, I remember we sacrificed an oxen when my grandfather died," the farmer replied.

Yep. Within the living memory of a 20th C farmer, animal sacrifices had been offered to ancestral spirits in Rogaland, Norway. The past, as Faulkner wrote, is not even past. 🙂

I'm not about to sacrifice Coop, the only "livestock" here, but if it's a good cigar I might gift the gardvorden a sip of my bourbon! ;)

View attachment 80551

~Boar
If you get a chance, try the GOTF Nightwatch Orpheus. The Nightwatch is the maduro version of the marca, and there is just something about the vitola of the Orpheus that made it stand out to me above the others. I don't hate the GOTF traditional smokes, but the Nightwatch, and the Orpheus especially, were above the rest.

Wow, at stick at 0537 hours, you gettin as bad as me. I woke up at 0530 and hit the couch for a hour then creeped so,trying not to wake the wife and now I down in our smoking area at 0715. We must be Mountain men.
I’m an early bird and through the week I really only smoke in the morning. I get up at around 4:30. Light one up when I got into the garage around 4:50.

You sure seems to got a lotta bands there. ;)

If you get a chance, try the GOTF Nightwatch Orpheus. The Nightwatch is the maduro version of the marca, and there is just something about the vitola of the Orpheus that made it stand out to me above the others. I don't hate the GOTF traditional smokes, but the Nightwatch, and the Orpheus especially, were above the rest.

It was a real powerhouse, tasty & super strong. Good aging potential! But I think a maduro version would be more squarely in my wheelhouse. I'll keep an eye out!

~Boar