• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday's Oliva Serie G got me craving something from a box I have sitting in the humidor. Oliva Serie V Torpedo 2008 Maduro Especial. 6.5 x 52. This is a great cigar. Great looking and spot-on construction. I like the size, myself. Has anyone tried the ones from 2009 yet? As for this one, it started out medium-full and lots of complex flavor. Past the halfway point it rose well into the full range and a lot more peppery spice came out. The draw was a little tight and I cut it twice more just a bit at a time to find exactly the right amount of draw I was looking for. This was exactly what I wanted with a stout after a good dinner.

Some related threads:

764312522_9JXLH-XL.jpg

764323914_nczzo-XL-1.jpg

764346277_LngDE-XL-1.jpg

More pictures...

Now that I look at the pictures, the burn like looks a little thick and a bit wavy. It's not something I noticed at all when I was smoking it. Probably because I was just enjoying it.

CI Legends Pepin Garcia Yellow Label (5.7 x 54). Smacks you in the face right away with a full fist of pepper. Settled down after an inch or so and got into the medium range with a lot more flavors. Developed a bit of a run around halfway. Eventually more or less corrected itself toward the last third. Lots of veins and some teeth in the wrapper. I expected it to be a good smoke overall and it did deliver.

Related:

764978503_8gEG8-XL.jpg

764992630_rk2bS-XL-1.jpg

More pictures...

Short smoke day. Had a PLPC and a Cohiba Siglo I.

I hope Friday I have more time.

2 year old Cohiba Siglo VI, it was good, but probably doesn't hold a candle to the box of OR Siglo VI's that I have and am afraid to smoke.

Devil's Weed Raleigh 5x50. This one is clearly a crowd favorite. It's definitely mild, I had to stop what else I was doing a couple of times so that I could pay attention to the flavor. Which was excellent. The burn stayed cool right up to the nub.

Related threads:

Also, here's an interview with Luis Molina and Abraham Flores where they talk a about both the details of Devil's Weed and some cigar history. Also the Molina Cigar blog.

765541183_DxQKX-XL.jpg

765567633_CMNBV-XL-1.jpg

765576595_PQsqT-XL-1.jpg

More pictures...

Smoked another recent release 858 Rosado....Good cigar but nothing special yet.

DPG JJ Maduro with vanilla ice cream! Perfect combo. :p

BTW, that CI Legends Yellow wrapper is way too dark. I've gone through six boxes and never had anything but a razor sharp burn, wonderfully complex flavors, and light brown wrappers.

They may have been stored at too high an RH for Pepins(MAX 65% - MIN 63%).

BTW, that CI Legends Yellow wrapper is way too dark. I've gone through six boxes and never had anything but a razor sharp burn, wonderfully complex flavors, and light brown wrappers.
Also a bit of that is the lighting. You can see a lot of color variation between the two shots (top one appears a much lighter color.)

They may have been stored at too high an RH for Pepins(MAX 65% - MIN 63%).
Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely keeping them at a bit higher than that (~70%), so I'll drop them for a while and see how they come out. I have a bunch of other Pepins as well, and I'll see how they do too.

Today: CAO Black Ltd. 5x50. Medium body, medium flavor. Had a bit of a problem with the wrapper at the head in the last third or so, but otherwise it was solid. Forgot to charge the batteries in my camera, so I didn't get any shots at the end. (Not that I think anyone's really looking at these except me.) I didn't have any real problems with this smoke. I enjoyed it overall, but nothing jumped out at me either. I'm not sure where some of hate for this one comes from (e.g. Rob_k found it totally unsmokeable in Jun 05) I didn't get any bitterness from it at all. There are some people who really dig it, though the previous version seems much more of a popular favorite.