• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Two questions for the Minneapolis crew

There's good food up here, too. There's good food all over the country. You just have to know where to look.

And comparing the choices in restaurants in Minneapolis with a metropolitan area that has twice as many people as the whole state of Minnesota is not really valid.

I politely disagree. Different cities, different cultures, different economies... The residents of Minneapolis put their money into diversity and as a result the restaurants, the arts, the nightlife; it all thrives.

SLC: Nice avatar. Thank you.

I didn't say Minneapolis doesn't have all of that. I'm not attacking the Cities in any way.

I just think that it's pretty obvious that a comparison of any city in the Midwest to the Chicago area is an unfair and invalid comparison. Of course there's going to be "more" in Chicago. It's huge! There's far more diversity, far more representation of different cultures, and far more people (and much more money) to support those things. It's like comparing Duluth and the Cities. Even though much of the emphasis on "diversity" is shared, we don't have the same resources up here to support it to the same degree.

I'm not saying Minneapolis is inferior in any way. It's smaller than Chicago (which is an advantage in most regards). That's a fact and it has bearing.

It's demographics, Mick, not "better" or "worse".

Yeah, I think that was what I was saying. The charactistics of a population vs the size. That's what makes Minneapolis unique to diversity. There are many cities of similar size that do not have the same diversity. Is it better or worse? If you enjoy diversity, it's better.

Stop hatin' Alan. :laugh:

Stop hatin' Alan. :laugh:

Aww, you know I could never hate on you guys. Who the hell would I talk to on the odd chance I actually got to visit the Cities. ;)

See you guys soon... :whistling:

All good points guys :thumbs:, I will check out those Polish joints as soon as I can.

Hey, just be glad you guys don't live in Le Mars with me. We have:

Fast food (McD's, DQ, Hardees, Taco John's, Subway)
1 Mexican joint
2 Chinese (1 being a terrible buffet)
1 greasy spoon
5 pizza joints
1 American joint (think Applebees, but locally owned non-chain)
1 steakhouse.

What a wonderful selection! :rolleyes: :(

Hey, just be glad you guys don't live in Le Mars with me. We have:

Fast food (McD's, DQ, Hardees, Taco John's, Subway)
1 Mexican joint
2 Chinese (1 being a terrible buffet)
1 greasy spoon
5 pizza joints
1 American joint (think Applebees, but locally owned non-chain)
1 steakhouse.

What a wonderful selection! :rolleyes: :(

Yeah, but isn't Le Mars home to Blue Bunny ice cream? That's nothing to sneeze at.

Love this thread btw. All great suggestions. It really depends what kind of mood and what you're into.

The only other place that hasn't been mentioned is the back room at The Local. The Local is an irish pub (though admittedly not as cool as Brit's pub) that, depending how busy it is, could be great to get into the back room and make a move on your new best gal. Keep it clean though. But perhaps that's too much too soon. I'm just nostalgic for a few dates I had in that place. Memorable.

Unless you're into hanging with young college aged idiots, DON'T go to the usual dance clubs. Brothers, Lone Tree, etc. Avoid them like the plague.

Nye's is definitely memorable and would be a fun first date thing to reminisce about someday.

Sushi? Asian? Lots of places if you're into that too.

I think you're in for a fun date.

Bill

Has Market BBQ been mentioned?
I was supposed to DJ there, but promoters are poopy heads

University Avenue in St. Paul has all the Vietnamese Restaurants you could want.............

Hoa Bien Vietnamese Restaurant

1105 University Ave W
St Paul, MN 55104
(651) 647-1011‎

Mai Village

394 University Ave W
St Paul, MN
(651) 290-2585

Vina Plus
1821 University Ave W
St Paul, MN map / directions
(651) 644-1384

Otherwise across the Street I think there's a White Castle.........your choice. :laugh: Ummmmmmmm Onion Chips!!!!

Otherwise across the Street I think there's a White Castle.........your choice. :laugh: Ummmmmmmm Onion Chips!!!!

Yeah Paul...nothing says "romantic first date" like ONION CHIPS! See you tomorrow for more wisdom.

Yeah Paul...nothing says "romantic first date" like ONION CHIPS! See you tomorrow for more wisdom.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey now, White Castle (or as I like to call it: Chateau Blanc) is my favorite fast food. Once or twice a year I get an irresistible urge for sliders and I heed the call!

So how do you guys want to arrange a smoke on Saturday? Just plan a time to meet at the Golden Leaf? My lady has to fly out on Saturday, leaving me pretty much free all afternoon and evening, so whatever works best for those of you that might show up is fine with me. If we meet up before dinner, I will likely end up going out to eat and hitting a bar(s) afterwards. If we meet up after dinner, I will probably end up hitting a bar(s) afterwards. :laugh:

Anyway, I probably won't be able to get on the site after tomorrow around 11:00 a.m., so we either need to figure something out before then or trade some numbers and figure it out over the phone.

We have our regular Thur. herf tonight, and I am sure we will figure a time and post tonight still for Sat. Have a great Fri enjoy Mlps, and more than likely I will see ya Sat for a smoke.

Joe G

So how do you guys want to arrange a smoke on Saturday? Just plan a time to meet at the Golden Leaf? My lady has to fly out on Saturday, leaving me pretty much free all afternoon and evening, so whatever works best for those of you that might show up is fine with me. If we meet up before dinner, I will likely end up going out to eat and hitting a bar(s) afterwards. If we meet up after dinner, I will probably end up hitting a bar(s) afterwards. :laugh:

Anyway, I probably won't be able to get on the site after tomorrow around 11:00 a.m., so we either need to figure something out before then or trade some numbers and figure it out over the phone.

I could go afternoon or early evening. I need to leave for work by 7:00 PM.

We decided to meet up at 5:00 pm Saturday at The Golden Leaf in Minneapolis. I'll PM you my cell in case you have trouble finding it. See you there and good luck Friday!

The Golden Leaf
3032 Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55408
(612) 824-1867

- Tim

We decided to meet up at 5:00 pm Saturday at The Golden Leaf in Minneapolis. I'll PM you my cell in case you have trouble finding it. See you there and good luck Friday!

The Golden Leaf
3032 Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55408
(612) 824-1867

- Tim

That sounds great. I already have my Google map for the Golden Leaf, so I should be able to find my way there.

Friday seems to be well sorted, thanks to all of you guys' help. A nice dinner at 112 Eatery, and Mick told me to go to one of his favorite hang-outs afterwards, some place called the Eagle.

Just kidding, he actually suggested a couple of other bars downtown.

The Golden Leaf
3032 Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55408
(612) 824-1867

- Tim

That sounds great. I already have my Google map for the Golden Leaf, so I should be able to find my way there.

Friday seems to be well sorted, thanks to all of you guys' help. A nice dinner at 112 Eatery, and Mick told me to go to one of his favorite hang-outs afterwards, some place called the Eagle.

Just kidding, he actually suggested a couple of other bars downtown.

LOL. Yeah, and maybe the Bolt next door. See ya Saturday.

- Tim

Hope everything went well tonight. Too bad about all the snow coming down. Making a mess out there.

Wish I could make it to uptown tomorrow afternoon. My wife is working tomorrow so I'm stuck watching the kids.

BR

I am so sorry that I hadn't gotten to this thread earlier, so that all of these gentlemen could have saved their input. LIONS TAP Need I say more? Where else could you go and get an entire tray of fries left on your table for yourself and the glorified coffee waitress. Lions Tap will be found in Eden Prairie if my memory serves me correctly.

BTW, my post is in good humor, but seriously, the Lions Tap is why I am fat today.

Gary

1. If you were a dashing, young attorney from Iowa, had been set up with a lovely flight attendant from Utah* with whom you had spoken frequently but not yet met, were in Minneapolis for the weekend, and were taking this lady out Friday evening, but neither of you were terribly familiar with Minneapolis, what might you do?

*Yes, the singles scene in NW Iowa is so dim that we've begun importing them! :laugh:

2. If you were not a dashing, young attorney from Iowa, would you like to meet one Saturday afternoon or evening for a smoke?

Thanks, guys.

Update:

1. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, and especially Mrs. Mick. We ended up going to 112 Eatery for dinner and getting a seat at the bar right away (the wait for a table was 2 hours) and had a great meal. When we left and I waited outside the facilities for her, I chatted with the middle-aged women waiting in line and as we left they told her to hang on to me, I'm a keeper. :laugh: Then we went to Prohibition (27th floor of the Foshay tower) for drinks. That is the perfect place to get after-dinner drinks on a date, not too crowded (we did have to stand by a window for a little while before a couch opened up), the views were excellent (especially with the snow falling - it was beautiful to watch, but not so much fun to drive back in), and the music was very nice until about 11:00 or 11:30 when they switched from smooth, romantic tunes to a dance club selection.

2. I apologize to all of you for the last-minute change of plans. She missed the morning flight back to SLC :whistling: and called me in the afternoon asking me to hang out with her again until she had to leave on the 9:30 plane. Now, faced with a choice between a petite, attractive blonde and five dudes with cigars, I had to go with the blonde. I would have let you know sooner if I could have, but I hope you'll understand why I didn't make it, and I really am sorry.