• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Uh-Oh, QdO fans!

The 63rd and avenida premiera store in varadero used to sell 2 or 3 boxes of q'do's a year ... This is a busy cigar store than probably sells 1000 boxes of cigars a month ... Any wonder the brand gets pared down to 1 ???

If q'do's were so great all yall would have been buying them a decade ago and we wouldn't be having this conversation .

Derrek

dvickery said:
The 63rd and avenida premiera store in varadero used to sell 2 or 3 boxes of q'do's a year ... This is a busy cigar store than probably sells 1000 boxes of cigars a month ... Any wonder the brand gets pared down to 1 ???

If q'do's were so great all yall would have been buying them a decade ago and we wouldn't be having this conversation .

Derrek

Reviews written over the last couple years are pretty favorable, so there are at least a few folks that like 'em.  I've always believed in "smoke what you like, like what you smoke".....one man's treasure is another man's...eh, not so much treasure..... ;)

dvickery said:

Derrek

I can respect the point of view, but I disagree slightly. 

My opinion is that this is less of a sign of lack of quality/flavor in the QdO brand, and more of an indication that the size is less than profitable.  Again, I actually really enjoy the QdO Coronas.  As a matter of fact I am buying a box in the next few days because I am out.  Granted, they are not the finest cigar I've had.  But I believe the flavor exceeds the price point.  Which is why I like to have them around.  Just a good walking the dog, picking up sticks in the back yard type of smoke.  They certainly have a place in my humidor.  Having said that, I have no need for the longer vitola which this is focused around.  If I'm going to spend the time on such a cigar, then I'm going premium.

I am not disappointed this cigar is going away, but I would certainly be disappointed to hear if QdO as a whole was.

Gavin said:

Wow. This is totally BS. How the heck can they cut the Imperiales? Screw you Habanos SA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about getting rid of the Open Master Monte crap instead.

Some lucky bastid took my stock and good for you.  :thumbs:
You mean I've patiently awaited 'Q' for nothing???

Gavin, I just saw this brother . I'm sorry but all the QdO's are gone. 

I guess I'll have to buy something else then!

Certainly they are not the best brand that comes from the island. First one I smoked was in 96 of the last century. The guy who gave it to me was interested to see what I thought. It was a gran corona. It was decent and his comment then was inconsistent. I have bought some more boxes over the years and indeed some were better than others. It is great to know the background, but I got a box just to say I have them and in fact I like them from time to time.

Perhaps I never made it clear in my previous post ... In 2004 or 2005 I was asking at an lcdh ( a busy lcdh at that ) specifically about diplomaticos and q'do's because that is what I wanted to buy ... Her answer re q'do's specifically was " they don't stock many because they only sell 2 or 3 boxes a year " .

I was looking for the coronas and dip#4's ... Diplomaticos and q'do's are/were a treasure to me and I was buying them a decade ago ... When nobody else was .

It just appeared to me that this isn't what you guys got out of my first post ... If I am wrong ... Well disregard this post .

Derrek

Brickhouse said:

Derrek

My opinion is that this is less of a sign of lack of quality/flavor in the QdO brand, and more of an indication that the size is less than profitable.  Again, I actually really enjoy the QdO Coronas.  As a matter of fact I am buying a box in the next few days because I am out.  Granted, they are not the finest cigar I've had.  But I believe the flavor exceeds the price point.  Which is why I like to have them around.  Just a good walking the dog, picking up sticks in the back yard type of smoke.  They certainly have a place in my humidor.  Having said that, I have no need for the longer vitola which this is focused around.  If I'm going to spend the time on such a cigar, then I'm going premium.

I am not disappointed this cigar is going away, but I would certainly be disappointed to hear if QdO as a whole was.

Damn bro...Yardgars... :whistling:

I actually received on the other day in the Superbowl Loser's Winnings, I definitely looking forward to it...

With that aid I'm still a newb scrub :laugh:  :D
And it's hard to deny your logic...

jsm11 said:

Derrek

Damn bro...Yardgars... :whistling:

I actually received on the other day in the Superbowl Loser's Winnings, I definitely looking forward to it...

With that aid I'm still a newb scrub :laugh:  :D
And it's hard to deny your logic...

Haha! Yeah, I guess I did put it in the yardgar category without intending to do so.  It's a top tier yardgar though!

dvickery said:

Derrek
QdO's were/are intended for the French market. It's no surprise that they wouldn't sell as many outside of that region. I for one love QdO as it's in my top 3 cigar brands out there. They need age and are a lite, delicate smoke. This is the opposite of what's been popular in the US for the last 15 years or so. I'd prefer not to smoke if I only had nic bombs to choose from like Opus, Pepin, Tat.

Just one man's view.

Backslide said:

Derrek
QdO's were/are intended for the French market. It's no surprise that they wouldn't sell as many outside of that region. I for one love QdO as it's in my top 3 cigar brands out there. They need age and are a lite, delicate smoke. This is the opposite of what's been popular in the US for the last 15 years or so. I'd prefer not to smoke if I only had nic bombs to choose from like Opus, Pepin, Tat.

Just one man's view.

agreed..although there are some good medium/lighter sticks from tat now.

Peterk814 said:

Derrek

Just one man's view.

agreed..although there are some good medium/lighter sticks from tat now.
I'll never buy stuff from the DB Pete Johnson!

He may be a DB but some of his stuff is tasty. I'm intrigued with the upcoming Verocu no3 (corona gorda) I really enjoy the holts version and really enjoyed the west coasts when they existed.

CMontoya79 said:
He may be a DB but some of his stuff is tasty. I'm intrigued with the upcoming Verocu no3 (corona gorda) I really enjoy the holts version and really enjoyed the west coasts when they existed.
In the brief time I've been checking out the brand, he strikes me as the Guy Fieri of cigars. I don't want to watch the guy, but he has pointed me in the direction of some great plates of food.

IMHO Pete's early stuff was leagues ahead of his later stuff.  I've got a couple boxes of OR Tat brown labels that are mind blowingly good cigars.  Some OR lanceros that are among the best cigars in my cabinet, no kidding.

His TAA releases from 2012 were perfect examples of Nicaraguan power house cigars, with a ton of flavor.  10th Anni TAA's are also quite good.  Most of his other new stuff.....not for me.

I would agree with BBS on the fact that his later stuff has definitely been better than the new. I stick with the Cojonu and J-21 Reservas as they have always treated me nicely. Curious why he is a DB? I spent about 15 minutes with him at Holts in Philly and he seemed relatively down to earth.
f4ad991f61a6bb139b3658a8ab83b62d.jpg

Search and ye shall find. He did come off as quite the DB. But again the DB knows how to have the right people make some good smokes.