• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

VA vs MD

I've been back in Ohio for 1.5 years and neither my wife (her idea) or I are not happy with the move. We have both decided that heading back East this coming summer would be best. I'm trying to decide if we are going back to Maryland or if Northern Virginia would be a better fit. I've worked in both Maryland and Virginia, however only lived in Maryland. For those that live there, what would say the advantages / disadvantages of your state would be? 

Thanks for your opinions in advance. 

I've always heard my family who live in and have lived in both states say that it's better in VA overall quality of life wise. The big complaint I always hear is taxes in MD suck.

Best thing to do is to pick counties in each state that you two would focus on moving back to Julius. Then compare things like sales tax, personal property taxes on real estate, or vehicles. What are state income taxes like?

Call your car insurance company to see what your rates will be in those areas................ For example, we pay well under $200.00 monthly in VA with a young teen driver on our policy. We paid almost $450.00 a month in WV a few years back with no teen driver on the policy then. WV is a no fault state so rates are higher.

Are public schools a factor for you?

Then find out what housing cost are comparatively before making a decision on what's the best fit. 

You most likely already know what these areas look like as far as the "I think this would be a nice area to live" appeal factor goes.

My wife and I were in similar shoes as you a few years ago. We made the move to WV and were miserable after three years. We "thought" we'd save with getting so much house for the money. Thought the cost of living would be cheaper........ Just didn't research the big picture.

Those higher taxes income wise, and personal property, coupled with high monthly car insurance had a huge impact......... Just my personal preference, but I'll take the Commonwealth State.  :)
Other than that Central Virginia feels like home out of all the places I lived, was stationed at during active duty, and have visited so far.

You could always move to Tax free NH. Cigars and booze are cheaper. Quality of life is also rated high in polls. Unfortunately we have a real Winter.

Doc

In the archives there are pictures of Doc on his roof shoveling 18" of snow in his skivvies. You need a stiff belt if your going to view it.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Julius,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I have been in this area now for about 9 years, in all but 1 of those years I have lived in Maryland.  I personally do not like VA, I think Personal Property Taxes is one of the biggest rip off taxes known to man.  In Maryland you pay taxes and for the most part the amount you pay in taxes is what you get.  I live in Montgomery County which is one of the higher taxed counties in Maryland, but Montgomery County also has some of the best public school systems in the country.  The top 4 schools in the state are right in Montgomery County, and they are also nationally ranked as well.  School systems are one of the most important aspects on where to buy a house.  Maryland for the most part I feel, has a lot of untapped areas where VA every city near DC is already at full [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]capacity (Alexandra, Falls Church, Reston, Tysons Corner, Arlington).  Where in Maryland, you pretty much have Bethesda and Silver Springs that is fully developed.  Where Wheaton, College Park, Rockville, Hyattsville, and even Laurel, are in the middle of their 25 year plan of developing.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I know and have a lot of friends in VA, and from all the things I discussed with them it was a matter of public transportation for the reason of living in VA.  Maryland is trying to catch up with VA, with the installment of Rt. 200 and potential of the purple line, but they are quite a bit away from being on par with VA.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I also have a friend who lives near Arlington who just brought a house in Maryland, they both loved VA but the housing market in VA/DC area right now is so high that they couldn’t afford to live there, and their price range was (400k to 450k).  So they ended up not only buying a house in Maryland but a brand new house that is being build right now for their price range. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]So it all comes down to is like what John said looking into the whole picture, I personally would not move out of Maryland for VA.  Most of that has to do with that for the most part I am young and I want to be where the next big thing is going to be (Rockville).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]All the best,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]David [/SIZE]

edit: double post 

Good advice so far.

A word on public schools, it's more about the community and home life of students than it will ever be about funding. Usually, with a property tax system the two go hand in hand for a variety of factors.

There are always going to be a host of unknowns, both positive and negative, when moving to a new location. Narrow it down the best you can and the do some detective work. When my wife sold real estate I was shocked at how little investigation people did. Are you able to vacation in the area? If so drive around in off hours, stop in at a local fire station and ask about the area, or ask around to some local shop owners. They are more likely to give you an honest, slightly jade, view of the community.

Let me clarify by saying I would never live in Northern Virginia, or the outskirts of DC period.

Too much congestion and craziness that goes with it all. I prefer a commute and less people that seem friendlier.

Thanks for the input folks. My better half is looking to go back to work in PGC schools. So, I've been pitting Fairfax County VA against PG county MD, with Anne Arundel or Calvert also being possibilities. My commute from Baltimore to Falls Church at 10mph kind of burned me out. ;) So we are trying to minimize commutes as much a possible. Bowie (at the PG/AA line) worked really well for us last time. Moving to Baltimore to reduce the cost of housing was a PITA.

Schools definitely have to be on my radar as my little one starts in a year and a half. I worked in both PG and FC schools, both had their advantages and their disadvantages. 

So does VA have personal tax AND income tax? is is higher than Maryland's taxes.  I didn't think about car insurance being lower in VA. I just figured if you said anything with the words, "DC metro area," and they were going to double your current rate. 

J. Do you work closer to home or do you commute into DC? And yes, the further you get from DC, people are nicer..because they don't have to sit in that stupid traffic!

And to Doc, I hate everything about real winter. I don't think my sinuses would approve either. 

Va does income tax. The county I live in charges
Personal property tax on vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, and boats.

I commute all over the place. My client of the day decides where the appointment is at. Some mornings are spent fighting my way up north.... I really wouldn't want to do it daily.

Things like your car insurance might not be a factor, or it all might balance out in the big picture. Best to just look into all of it and lay it all out. A few dollars isn't everything if the quality of life is great.

Utilities is another thing to look into as well.

VA has state controlled liquor stores so my vote would be for MD, :p