• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vacuum Sealer

CBoukal

Impeached Staff Member
ok weird question for the cigar forum but I know you guys like nice things and this is the Food discussion area. I bought a 75 lb box of tri tips and there is 4 bags in the box, Which means when I open one of the bags I either use all of them inside or try and save them in the freezer but always feel they dry out and get freezer burned really quickly. Rather than waste good meat I was thinking of finally getting a vacuum sealer.

Who has one and what are the "features" I need to look for and avoid?

Thanks in advance!!!

Oh @cabaiguan juan , another reason to move into the neighborhood.

ok weird question for the cigar forum but I know you guys like nice things and this is the Food discussion area. I bought a 75 lb box of tri tips and there is 4 bags in the box, Which means when I open one of the bags I either use all of them inside or try and save them in the freezer but always feel they dry out and get freezer burned really quickly. Rather than waste good meat I was thinking of finally getting a vacuum sealer.

Who has one and what are the "features" I need to look for and avoid?

Thanks in advance!!!

Oh @cabaiguan juan , another reason to move into the neighborhood.
Right. But since I’m not your neighbor, yet, how about bombing me some tri- tip?

I get nervous about sending glass in the mail. I can't imagine sending something perishable.
If you address it to @drunkfish3 it will probably get there fast enough to stay cold and then I can just drive down there. Heck, it will probably get there before me. Even if I leave now.

I have the Food Saver and use it pretty regularly. Bags are easy to find at most big box stores. Biggest thing to check for is how well which ever one you buy seals "moist" items. I usually have to put a folded paper towel between the meat and where the machine seals. If moisture gets in there it won't seal well.

Mine paid for itself very quickly! I live alone and it allows me to buy things in bulk and vacuum seal and freeze them until I'm ready.

Next purchase should be a sous vide cooker!

Have a food saver get one with different settings for moisture. Also partially freeze meat before vacuum packaging it help stop juices being sucked out

That's a great tip I have to try. Mine is the Foodsaver FM2000... normal home model that has seen a ton of use. I'm a food prepper and keep rotating my meats on a 6 month to year cycle. You can't even tell they've been frozen.

@CBoukal Think creativity!
  1. I hunt a lot so I make burger, jerkey, trail bologna, sausage, etc. and freeze it all. It will last indefinitely if the seal is good.
  2. I live alone so I buy meat and vegetables in bulk.
  3. Add salt and butter to a pack of veggies, freeze it, and it will go straight from the freezer to a pot of boiling water.
  4. I buy steaks when the price is right and seal and freeze them.
  5. I buy fresh fruits, dice them up, add a bit of bourbon and brown sugar, freeze them and cook them sous vide.
  6. I buy huge bags of mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, tortillas or naan bread, divide it up, freeze it, and have pizza whenever I want.
Damn! I'm hungry!

Thanks very much everyone for the insight and the responses. I think I want to be somewhere between Justin and Bill :) I don't chew enough gum for @smellysell option but I won't use it enough for @CigSid option to pay for itself.

It appears I want one that'll take the larger rolls (that's what she said) and that has moist settings.

Thanks again so much guys!!!

I have this one and it works like a champ. Dry or moist....to a point. You can't do soup!:) It also came with a wine vacuum stopper for that rare occasion when you don't finish the bottle.
Vacuum sealer

I use these rolls and they work like a champ.
Roll of bags

Save the money and invest in a bigger grill/smoker ;).

I want a sealer but the wife won’t let me get one. So we squeeze the air out of ziplocks so we can throw the freezer burned meat away later. 😥

I freeze burgers first, then into the vacuum sealer. No juice worries. Ribeyes go straight in, after seasoning. I’ve done stuffed jalapeños by freezing first, and then into the bags. Food saver was an economical option. I don’t use it enough to go deep.

Floyd T

In keeping with this theme, I bought a 24 pound whole short loin today and had it cut into 1 1/4" steaks. I got 4 huge porterhouse, 7 huge T-bone with varying amounts of filet, and 2 nice bone in strip steaks. Because I bought the entire short loin, I got it for $7.48 per pound. Today's use of the vacuum sealer alone paid for it!