• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Very Off Topic help needed

smokelaw1

Cigar Ambassador
I managed to put a very bad scratch in our pretty new hardwoods. We spent the equivalent of a new BMW 3 series putting these things in the whole house when we bought it. I managed to scratch through the finish and down into the wood. It needs to be fixed. It needs to be done quickly. As in today. This means I need to do it, because no worker is going to get to the house that fast. THIS means that it needs to be idiot proof.
Someone please tell me there is a quick and easy product I can go buy that will do a decent job of fixing this.

Anyone?

I managed to put a very bad scratch in our pretty new hardwoods. We spent the equivalent of a new BMW 3 series putting these things in the whole house when we bought it. I managed to scratch through the finish and down into the wood. It needs to be fixed. It needs to be done quickly. As in today. This means I need to do it, because no worker is going to get to the house that fast. THIS means that it needs to be idiot proof.
Someone please tell me there is a quick and easy product I can go buy that will do a decent job of fixing this.

Anyone?

You're SOL!

<note - 2 different linky's>

eh a quick and dirty way if you just wanna cover it up from the wife would to just use wood puddy, let it set, sand it/wet sand it and try to blend the stain in the right way. But in the long run probably replace the plank.

Yep, plank replacement is the only way to repair a deep scratch. It is bound to happen sooner or later, happened to me a week after our install, that is what throw rugs are for.

Josh how deep is the scratch?

Through the surface and into the wood...not terribly deep, total is probably around 1/16. Honestly, perhaps it is even less. But it is very noticeable.
what kind of wood? walnut, cherry?
you can get a scratch pen at home depot (stain and top coat) that may work depending on color

A couple months ago, I moved my son's dresser across the wood floors. Big scratches, same scene. Thankfully, our house had these floors when we moved in and we didn't spend any money there. Still, I paid the piper.

If I could fix those scratches, however... I might get a surprise bj, or better yet, maybe clearance for a box buy. One that she actually knows about.

Where's PStan at?

easy answer... learn to live with it as more and more scratches will appear over time. A similar thing happened when we installed new floor earlier in the year and it drove me crazy till the floor started to wear and got other scratches and now it blends right in. Otherwise, repalcing or repairing as others suggested.

Through the surface and into the wood...not terribly deep, total is probably around 1/16. Honestly, perhaps it is even less. But it is very noticeable.

Ok here is the quick and dirty, go to one of those unfinished furniture shops and buy a Min-Wax pencil in the appropriate shade. It'll cover the scratch and help you out. A tip that I found is to make sure the wax pencil is room temperature or warmer and go with the direction of the scratch. After it is filled in lightly buff with a clean cotton towel or old t-shirt. Hope that helps.

Take one of her high heels that she wears often and remove the little plastic piece on the bottom of the heel, then blame it on her.

Sack Up and take it like a man! If she ever finds out or sees that you tried to hide it from her it will be far worse than telling the truth that grateful1 did it! :sign:

In all seriousness, its better to be honest IMHO. Good luck!

Sack Up and take it like a man! If she ever finds out or sees that you tried to hide it from her it will be far worse than telling the truth that grateful1 did it! :sign:

In all seriousness, its better to be honest IMHO. Good luck!

Ummm...he should cover it up!

What Anthony says will work with the less expense.

Where these pre-stained (laminate) or stained in house after install? If after the install did the "stain crew" leave you any for touch up? If not call them for some. If they are pre-stained (laminate) take a left over piece to the place you got it and ask for a matching/near matching touch up pin for a quick repair and schedule them to fix it under its "wear warranty" if it will apply cause that is going to be a pain in the azz and take more than one plank, usually.

Ok here is the quick and dirty, go to one of those unfinished furniture shops and buy a Min-Wax pencil in the appropriate shade. It'll cover the scratch and help you out. A tip that I found is to make sure the wax pencil is room temperature or warmer and go with the direction of the scratch. After it is filled in lightly buff with a clean cotton towel or old t-shirt. Hope that helps.

I seriously thought about covering it with something but it is RIGHT when you walk into the bedroom. No way a rug could go there. I'll try all these quick fixes. If they don't work, I'll find a way to blame her.

Thanks fellas.

THanks guys. These were stained in the house after install. I did not see any left in the house for touch-ups. I'll see if I can't get some from them today.

What Anthony says will work with the less expense.

Where these pre-stained or stained in house after install? If after the install did the "stain crew" leave you any for touch up? If not call them for some. If they are pre-stained take a left over piece to the place you got it and ask for a matching/near matching touch up pin for a quick repair and schedule them to fix it under its "wear warranty" if it will apply cause that is going to be a pain in the azz and take more than one plank, usually.

I seriously thought about covering it with something but it is RIGHT when you walk into the bedroom. No way a rug could go there. I'll try all these quick fixes. If they don't work, I'll find a way to blame her.

Thanks fellas.

Tell her the ball and chain did it!