• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wardriving

I'm just interested in seeing how many wireless n/w's there are in my neighborhood, nothing illegal about that. Interesting to see how many there are.

From articles I have read you are right. Just using a network that is unprotected is ok.
Owners of networks shpuld be more responsible. They could be involved if a crook or perv uses their system

Bill

Since I don't trust my computer skills, this is one reason I went with a cabled router. Being the only 'net user in the house, I figured wireless was overkill. :)

Guys you should check out the new Microsoft antispyware Beta1. It kicks a$$.
for you people also with a wirless network the program monitors for wifi access.
This program was bought from Giant by microsoft. IMHO it's one of the best out. Even beter then ad-aware and spybot.

WiFi Connection

Description: Monitors for access from other users on your wireless network.

I'm just interested in seeing how many wireless n/w's there are in my neighborhood, nothing illegal about that. Interesting to see how many there are.

shirt.gif

I can pick up two other networks from my home. I don't even have to move my laptop off my desk. I'm in a pretty large subdivision so they have to belong to neighbors. I don't use 'em, but anyone else could if they wanted.

ya thats sorta sad though. I aswell have about 4-5 networks I can access from my
house. You would think that if they knew how to name thier SSID then they would be able to enable wep atleast. but nope WIDE OPEN!!!

Right now I can see

SSID Jackie
SSID BIG DOG
SSID NETGEAR
SSID LINKSYS
SSID MIKIOSIOS <- Closed

top 4 wide open

Hey BackSlide, I guess we all know what interests you... Just mention networking or wardiving and you're off to the races! ;)

I like Cigars More ;)

I really do Dig anything computer though. I did a little programing but not to much anymore. Looking at code for hours and hours tends to give me a killer headach

So is there like some program us non techies can run that will give us a snap shot of how vulnerable our home wireless network is?

I use a linksys router model BEFW11s4 V2

Does the router make any difference?

Allofus123 said:
So is there like some program us non techies can run that will give us a snap shot of how vulnerable our home wireless network is?

[snapback]156712[/snapback]​

Change the default ssid
Use 128 bit WEP encryption
and make sure you change the default password or the admin username on the router itself

Fast4Dr said:
Allofus123 said:

Change the default ssid
and make sure you change the default password or the admin username on the router itself
[snapback]156713[/snapback]​

What he said.

Fast4Dr said:
Allofus123 said:

Change the default ssid
[snapback]156713[/snapback]​

HUH? ??? What part of "non techie" should I explain? ROFLMAO

If you are worried about the wireless they said it. but in non techie terms the wep is something that would be asked about during setup just make sure you use it, common sense will get you the rest of the way.

Mephiston said:
LoL...backslides last 3 numbers in his name tells me all I need to know :cool:
[snapback]156941[/snapback]​

Whatchew talken bout willis? ;)