• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Well Me & Mac 12

Ymmit07

Well I picked up a 750 of Mac 12 today while shopping at Costco and a case of COORS LIGHT ;) :p . I was actually quite excited to get home and try some of the Mac 12 with my Perdomo Lot 23, Which i did. I have to say it must be a acquired taste or take some getting used to cause I'm not a fan. It just didn't seem to sit well with me. The cigar was good though. I thought maybe some of the seasoned Scotch drinkers mat be able to shed some light on this for me. Should I give it time?

Tim

Edit: Dammit wrong forum area please move if you see it necessary! -Tim

Send it to me! :laugh:

Seriously though. How old are you? I couldn't palate any sort of whiskey until I was about 40.
I put ice in my Scotch. Some will be angry with me. I started with more ice and as I developed a liking I use less and less.
when I take the first sip I take a little and swrill it all around in.my mouth coating the tongue and everything and swallow. I then breathe and I can pick up the flavor. It takes getting used to but its worth it.

As for the Coors light I can't help you there LOL

Hey how is Coors light like sex in a canoe?

Wait for it.......

Its fucking close to water!!!

Send it to me! :laugh:

Seriously though. How old are you? I couldn't palate any sort of whiskey until I was about 40.
I put ice in my Scotch. Some will be angry with me. I started with more ice and as I developed a liking I use less and less.
when I take the first sip I take a little and swrill it all around in.my mouth coating the tongue and everything and swallow. I then breathe and I can pick up the flavor. It takes getting used to but its worth it.

As for the Coors light I can't help you there LOL

Hey how is Coors light like sex in a canoe?

Wait for it.......

Its fucking close to water!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: NICE!

I'm 30. I also put mine on ice too ( flame away :sign: ) and the first few sips where good and I'm not sure where it started to go south cause it seem to highlight notes in the cigar. Yup Coors Light it is for me. Any of the heavier beers tend to fill me up to fast.

I heard Coors Light is What Smellysell and Mas Puros make when they piss in the cans after drinking real beer.

Drink scotch anyway that you find it enjoyable, purists be damned :p . I took to whiskey like a fish to water 10 years ago but I drink it neat only about half the time. Others on ice and if it isn't the best I like a good scotch and soda. Or try a Rob Roy. That might be the way to start if you really want to try and acquire a taste for scotch. You also might want to start with some of the more "mellow" scotch blends and AVB would be a great source for a list of those. Of course you might just not like it and never will. Bourbon pairs well with cigars and so does rum. IMO, liquor, sans vodka (shudder), pairs well with just the air that I breathe. :thumbs:

yeah I do like a rum/soda with a cigar it does pair nice. I can't remember the name of the bourbon I have had. It's from Costco, they also have their own signature brand that is reasonably priced and is a small batch that I might have to try.

I agree about a drinker's prerogative, Nate. You can piss in it if it spins your prop. :)

Whether you hang onto the Mac12 or send it to me, :rolleyes:

try one small cube instead of a bunch.

Steve

If you are drinking Coors you'll never get used to Scotch. Stick with appletinis or whatever crap they mix with whipped cream vodka.

I think the Mac 12 is sherry casked. There are many different flavors to try yet (just ask Ray). I guess it depends what you didn't like about it. Try some Ardbeg. You can taste the moss and frogs in the peat :laugh:

AVB You comin out of the closet about your appeltini with a whipcream fetish? ;)

That like saying cause one who smokes a inexpensive cigar (Padron x000) that one won't acquire a taste for a topshelf cigar.

Ice is the way to go for now. Let it sit a little and allow some of the ice to melt. Mac 12 in sherry is a good start. Drink it until you like it and then continue drinking it cause you love it.

Hey...if you like Coors Light...drink Coors Light. There is nothing wrong with that. If you don't like scotch, you don't like scotch. You wouldn't be the first.

That said, I did most of my Coors Light drinking in college, that along with a lot of assorted Molson and Labatt's Blue. Sam Adams was high-end stuff for me back then. Then my sophmore year, one of my housemates from Cleveland, OH started bring up cases and cases of Great Lakes beer. Mostly Dortmunder Ale and Elliot Ness. It turned out his older brother worked at the brewery. It was new to me, as I had never head of it, but it was free so I said what the hell, I'll drink it. Let's just say that it was a life changing experience in terms of the type of beers I drank from then on. Who knows...you may have an experience that is similar, you may not...but even if you don't if you like what your drinking, then who cares.

As for the scotch...like others here, I didn't develop a true appreciation for scotch until I was in my late-20s. It happens at different times for different people, and again, for others not at all. Just experiment and give it a chance. Most of what is deemed quality out there is palatable to most if not all, but of that quality group, everyone has their own personal favorites. Mac12 is a staple in my home...that's my everyday scotch, but it isn't for everyone. My brother prefers Ardberg and likes drinking Blue Moon and Boddingtons, my dad likes his Budweiser and prefers his Johnnie Walker Black...too each his own.

Oh...and on a final note...maybe it's not the scotch per se, it could be the cigar, or more than likely the cigar/scotch combo. Try the scotch on its own, neat, with a table spoon of water, with a tea spoon of water, and with an ice cube. See if any of these work for you before writing it off. You just may be surprised.

Hey...if you like Coors Light...drink Coors Light. There is nothing wrong with that. If you don't like scotch, you don't like scotch. You wouldn't be the first.

That said, I did most of my Coors Light drinking in college, that along with a lot of assorted Molson and Labatt's Blue. Sam Adams was high-end stuff for me back then. Then my sophmore year, one of my housemates from Cleveland, OH started bring up cases and cases of Great Lakes beer. Mostly Dortmunder Ale and Elliot Ness. It turned out his older brother worked at the brewery. It was new to me, as I had never head of it, but it was free so I said what the hell, I'll drink it. Let's just say that it was a life changing experience in terms of the type of beers I drank from then on. Who knows...you may have an experience that is similar, you may not...but even if you don't if you like what your drinking, then who cares.

I still drink Coors Light on the golf course and at the ball games. It has its place.

+1 on Great Lakes Brew! What a great way to be introduced to craft beers at an unbeatable price. Elliot Ness is still one of my favorite beers.

LOL @ "heavier beers tend to fill me up fast." With higher alcohol beers you don't want to pound them like a frat boy. You sip them and enjoy all the flavors. It typically takes me an hour or more to finish a higher ABV beer...

You drink Coors light to get drunk over a longer period of time...there's not much else it's good for. Hell even in college I would drink Shiner or other darker beers on occasion.

BTW if you don't like Scotch then try Bourbon...and not Jim Beam or the cheap stuff. Buffalo Trace or Knob Creek are good places to start. It's a bit sweeter and doesn't have that Peaty flavor.

With higher alcohol beers you don't want to pound them like a frat boy. You sip them and enjoy all the flavors. It typically takes me an hour or more to finish a higher ABV beer...

You do have a point. Guess i never looked at it that way.

I started with Scotch (JWB) and soda as soon as I was old enough to order it in a bar . . . but I'd already been drinking overseas, in the Seabees, and was tired of "______ and Coke" sweet drinks anyway.

While I appreciate a fine Scotch neat, I still like mine on ice. Hell, until coming here I was still adding a splash of soda to single malts! :laugh:

~Boar

I have been a scotch fan since I was of legal age to order in a bar. I started out mixing with water, then graduated to drinking it neat or with 1 (maybe 2) ice cubes. It's a acquired taste, generally the people that I know didn't like scotch the first couple times they had it. They now really enjoy it though, just stick with it a few times, you might surprise yourself.