• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What’s on the grill/smoker today? 2021

I haven't. I've been eyeing them for a while though. Usually they become stew/chili or carne asada.
I found an inexpensive Sous Vide cooker on Amazon and I am amazed at what it does. A perfect cut of meat is cooked to the exact same temp all the way through as opposed to grilling where the center is rare and the outside 1/8" is seared. You will want to sear it after the sous vide but for 30 seconds per side just for grill marks and thats eared flavor. After some experimentation with lesser cuts of meat, you can really make them into a good steak. I hunt and I eat a lot of venison, the sous vide does wonders with the back straps.

My 20 yr old step-son is a volunteer firefighter and on Tuesdays for training, each of them rotates and brings dinner. He asked that I smoke a couple pork butts. Turned out great.

20210201_180506.jpg

20210201_180633.jpg

Wrapped them at 165 and let them come up to 205, in pink butcher paper.
20210202_101251.jpg

20210202_101259.jpg

20210202_101651.jpg

Pulled them both at 205 and rested for an hour in the cooler. Still hot as shit, when I went to shred.
20210202_150807.jpg

20210202_160539.jpg

20210202_160544.jpg

20210202_161536.jpg

I'm thinking they'll be happy. I sure was when I tasted while I pulled/shredded. It's the only way to cook!

My 20 yr old step-son is a volunteer firefighter and on Tuesdays for training, each of them rotates and brings dinner. He asked that I smoke a couple pork butts. Turned out great.

View attachment 38644

View attachment 38645

Wrapped them at 165 and let them come up to 205, in pink butcher paper.
View attachment 38646

View attachment 38647

View attachment 38648

Pulled them both at 205 and rested for an hour in the cooler. Still hot as shit, when I went to shred.
View attachment 38649

View attachment 38650

View attachment 38651

View attachment 38652

I'm thinking they'll be happy. I sure was when I tasted while I pulled/shredded. It's the only way to cook!

Great pics Brandon! It sounds like you and I use the exact same method from start to shred. Love pulled pork and it’s usually very inexpensive.

Nicely done!

Fellas,

I'm back at it today. I've totally cleaned out the GMG, and have it ready to rock. It's a smaller brisket flat, since there'll be too much food at the party. Cut fat:Season.jpg

I've got it seasoned with Smokehouse maple and it smells wonderful. I'll post after pics, to let ya know how it turned out.

Thanks for looking. Feel free to comment, especially on the amount of fat removed. I'm never quite sure how much to leave on.

Floyd T

Attachments

• IMG_2206.jpg
    IMG_2206.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 8
  • ready for the smoker.jpg
    ready for the smoker.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 8
Fellas,

I'm back at it today. I've totally cleaned out the GMG, and have it ready to rock. It's a smaller brisket flat, since there'll be too much food at the party. View attachment 38806

I've got it seasoned with Smokehouse maple and it smells wonderful. I'll post after pics, to let ya know how it turned out.

Thanks for looking. Feel free to comment, especially on the amount of fat removed. I'm never quite sure how much to leave on.

Floyd T

Those flats cook fast and tend to dry out Floyd. I'd watch it pretty closely. I typically put some water in my smoker, as it helps even out the heat and keeps moisture in the meat. I usually pull my briskets and wrap them in pink butcher paper, which also helps moisture retention. Good luck, I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

Those flats cook fast and tend to dry out Floyd. I'd watch it pretty closely. I typically put some water in my smoker, as it helps even out the heat and keeps moisture in the meat. I usually pull my briskets and wrap them in pink butcher paper, which also helps moisture retention. Good luck, I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

I have a bowl full of apple juice and Worcestershire sauce in with the meat. I've been brushing it every so often. I'll pull it at 160ish, wrap in pink, and then back til 190 - 195 degrees. It is cooking a bit quick, which is what I planned for. it's a small one and not very thick. I've gotten a new digital thermometer and it's tracking well.

I think what I did the last time was, due to laziness, I didn't clean out the firebox and it got a bit full. It was spiking, and that may have caused my uneven cooking last time. So far so good.

I've also added a thermal cover to the grill. It's really helping to keep the temp where it needs to be. GMG sells them nd they are worth the $70ish bucks.

I'll let ya know. Thanks for the input.

*****Update: I'm at 145 degrees after two hours of smoking. Everything seems to be running like it should. Fingers crossed.***

Floyd T

Last edited:
I have a bowl full of apple juice and Worcestershire sauce in with the meat. I've been brushing it every so often. I'll pull it at 160ish, wrap in pink, and then back til 190 - 195 degrees. It is cooking a bit quick, which is what I planned for. it's a small one and not very thick. I've gotten a new digital thermometer and it's tracking well.

I think what I did the last time was, due to laziness, I didn't clean out the firebox and it got a bit full. It was spiking, and that may have caused my uneven cooking last time. So far so good.

I've also added a thermal cover to the grill. It's really helping to keep the temp where it needs to be. GMG sells them nd they are worth the $70ish bucks.

I'll let ya know. Thanks for the input.

*****Update: I'm at 145 degrees after two hours of smoking. Everything seems to be running like it should. Fingers crossed.***

Floyd T
Buddy has one of those thermal covers, they work so well.

Ok fellas, this is the end result. I ain't sure how the grill masters do it, but I had a party full of folks that said this was pretty good. I enjoyed it, so I guess it's one of those things. It wasn't dry, pretty tender and had good flavor. Thanks for looking.

Floyd T

Attachments

• Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Cut 1.jpg
    Cut 1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Cut 2.jpg
    Cut 2.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 14
Ok fellas, this is the end result. I ain't sure how the grill masters do it, but I had a party full of folks that said this was pretty good. I enjoyed it, so I guess it's one of those things. It wasn't dry, pretty tender and had good flavor. Thanks for looking.

Floyd T
Did you keep track of your cook times?