• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What are you brewing?

Well, I just moved my experimental Wheat IPA to the secondary after 6 weeks in primary and put in 2 oz of cascades for dry hopping. The Hydro sample tasted awesome! It tastes a little like Gumballhead, but with Cascade hops instead of Amarillo. If it is this good flat and warm, I can only imagine what it will be like in the keg. This one is not going to last long at all! I may have another house brew.

DJ

Recipe?

Hoppy Noodle Wheat PA

4.5 lbs 2 row
4.5 lbs White Wheat Malt
1 lb Crystal 10L

Mash at 150 for 60 min.
Batch sparge 5 gallons.

Hop Schedule:
FWH 1 oz Williamette
45 min - .5 oz Summit
10 min - 1 oz Cascade

2 oz Cascade Dry Hop (So you can smell it from 2 counties over)

I used S-05 for the yeast as I prefer dry yeast, but 1056 would work too.

DJ

Hoppy Noodle Wheat PA

4.5 lbs 2 row
4.5 lbs White Wheat Malt
1 lb Crystal 10L

Mash at 150 for 60 min.
Batch sparge 5 gallons.

Hop Schedule:
FWH 1 oz Williamette
45 min - .5 oz Summit
10 min - 1 oz Cascade

2 oz Cascade Dry Hop (So you can smell it from 2 counties over)

I used S-05 for the yeast as I prefer dry yeast, but 1056 would work too.

DJ

Gracias

I actually have everything I would need in stock...

I like that wheat recipe. Some of my fav beers are using simple 2-row / wheat with different amounts of crystal. I used to make a Pale Ale with 2row and crystal 60L and all that would change from brew to brew was the hop schedule.

Hey thanks! I've found that simplicity is the key to great tasting beer. It seems like a lot of people (especially on homebrewing message boards) want to put 10 different specialty malts in a recipe to "add complexity" but I like to keep the malt bill simple and get complexity from the hop schedule. My house Pale Ale is just 2 row and Crystal 60 too... it just makes nice, clean tasting beer. I've always thought of it like a choir- 3-4 parts in harmony sound nice and work together well, but if you get to many different voices going at the same time it turns into noise.

DJ

I kegged my hobgoblin all grain clone today. That has become my staple go to brew.

Wheat IPA just went into the keg and it is pretty tasty... Nice cascade nose, crisp bitterness over the sweet wheat backbone. Nice!

DJ

Daddy's back!!!
LOL...ok, so after a 3 month break, i hae a trip to Spain on the 1st of April, then it is time to fire up the burners again, and do some serious dmg to and Irish Red.....

Hope all is well with my brewing Brothers and Sisters

Tim

Daddy's back!!!
LOL...ok, so after a 3 month break, i hae a trip to Spain on the 1st of April, then it is time to fire up the burners again, and do some serious dmg to and Irish Red.....

Hope all is well with my brewing Brothers and Sisters

Tim

Welcome back stranger. :thumbs:

ok, sooooo after looking at my grain bill for my Irish, I don't like it and dont know why so hear it is for you guys to look at.
feel free to make any and all sorts of comments, suggestions, snide remarks, or just plain laugh out loud......

Belgian Vienna Malt 5lb 8oz
Belgian Munich Malt 4lb 7oz
German CaraRed 1lb 2oz
US Caramel 40L Malt 8.00 oz
US Roasted Barley 2.00 oz

Will hit it with EKG and Fuggeles i think....what say you?

Tim

Bottling up a quad that I brewed with my brother on Thanksgiving in a bit here. Also ordered a capper and bell earlier so I can use all the Belgian 750s I've been piling up! :thumbs:

Still about 3 weeks away from firing up the rig, but I have my eyes on an Irish and a GF-Blueberry

Still not happy with my Irish Grain Bill....

Will do a complete cleaning of all my equipment, and re-org of the Brewspace....

Ahhhh..the joys of Home Brewing

t

This weekend was filled with quite a bit of beer hobbying. Our Oatmeal Stout was put into bottles for its 2+ weeks of conditioning. While this was the beer I was most excited to get out of all we have done thus far, it tastes a little one dimensional. Hopefully the conditioning works this out, we will see.

Our Hefewiesen was moved from the primary to secondary and tastes fantastic already! Very complex with a bold wheat flavor.

After much deliberating over the 3 month timeframe we brewed up a Double IPA and stuck that in the primary. As the secondary fermentation time is so long we plan on doing one, maybe two, single stage brews during this time and trying out some rootbeer for summertime. It will be a long time but hopefully well worth it.

This weekend was filled with quite a bit of beer hobbying. Our Oatmeal Stout was put into bottles for its 2+ weeks of conditioning. While this was the beer I was most excited to get out of all we have done thus far, it tastes a little one dimensional. Hopefully the conditioning works this out, we will see.

Our Hefewiesen was moved from the primary to secondary and tastes fantastic already! Very complex with a bold wheat flavor.

After much deliberating over the 3 month timeframe we brewed up a Double IPA and stuck that in the primary. As the secondary fermentation time is so long we plan on doing one, maybe two, single stage brews during this time and trying out some rootbeer for summertime. It will be a long time but hopefully well worth it.

I'm curious as to why the secondary for a hefe?

I brewed a Cascade/Amarillo IPA the other night.

We just started brewing not too long ago and not really sure why we used the secondary. The standard has just been to use the secondary for all of them since we got it?

Just mashing in a Belgium Wheat, it's nice to be able to brew outside in the warm again. Have to go and choose a cigar to accompany the boil. :)

hello guys. I just bottled my first brew- American Light from a Brewer's Best kit. Looking forward to it in about two weeks. I hope it turns out well. I guess if it doesn't then I have American Keystone Light.

I just bottled up the hoppiest IPA I have ever seen/smelled. I can't wait to try it. Looking for a good name. Anyone? I am leaning toward Hoptopia

Finally finished my 100% electric brewery, so now I can brew indoors! Did a test run the other night with a turbid mash for a pLambic.

system001.jpg

system002.jpg

What is all of that stuff and how does it work??? Brewing newb here.