• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What have you been reading lately?

For light reading, Clive Cussler or Wilbur Smith. For historical fiction, James Clavell or James A. Michener. For fantasy George R.R. Martin (I highly recomend the A Song of Ice and Fire series) and Stephen R. Donaldson (Thomas Covenant series). The list could go on and on.

The Thomas Covenant series got me started in the fantasy genre. I was simply not able to put the books down! I found myself reading late into the night, and anytime I could squeeze in a few pages during the day.
Quite the series... I may have to revisit them.

edit: I just visited his website and guess what?! There is another series call "The Last Chronicles"! I will definitely be revisiting this series.

The first book of the Last Chronicles, "The Runes of the Earth" was great :thumbs:

Now you just need to ask yourself, do I remember the first two trilogies?

Don't buy it right away............. :whistling:

The Last Templar. Somehow I find that lost treasure stuff appealing

The first book of the Last Chronicles, "The Runes of the Earth" was great :thumbs:

Now you just need to ask yourself, do I remember the first two trilogies?

Don't buy it right away............. :whistling:

It has been close to 20 years since I read those books, the details are pretty hazy anymore :)
I will re-read the first six before I start on the new ones.

I had to do that with the Dark Tower series (Stephen King) as well.

Looking forward to it!

I read recreationally, vastly and constantly. I always have at least one novel ON MY PERSON (OK maybe not at work). I read while waiting in any line..bank gas station ect. I draw the line at reading at red lights except bumper stickers. I am a hugh fan of Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Pulp, Mysteries, Action, and almost everything except Romance. When I purchase a book I decide on one by author, title, back cover, thickness (thicker is better) or flyleaf blurbs and I usually read a few lines/paragraphs at random. The discount section of Barnes and Noble is my favorite place in the world!

Some of my favorite authors are :
Tom Robbins
Dan Brown
Robert Heinlein
J.R.R Tolken
John Grisham
James Patterson
Christopher Paolini
Kurt Vonnegut
W.E.B. Griffin
John Updike

and Many many more!

Mark

Being a Poli Sci major not only do I have to read books involving politics in them but they're also my favorite kinds of books to read. However, the last two books I read were

Cobra II by Michael R. Gordon and General Bernard E. Trainor, and

While Europe Slept: How Radical Islam is Destroying the West From Within by Bruce Bawer.

Great books. Check em' out if your interested

Top, for people who like to post redundant threads.

Thread's a little old, but I don't see a point in a new one.

American Psycho, Brett Easton Ellis. Good stuff, thanks for the recommendation Dave (davela).

Third Option by Vince Flynn. Just wish I'd read all his stuff in order. Nice when you can be at work and start and finish a 400 page book on a 12 hour shift! :laugh:

Just finished off The Burden of Proof by Scott Turow. Any of Turow's books are recommended, in fact.

I'm an English major and will be writing my senior thesis this fall, so my summer has been occupied with the following works:

"On Beauty" by Zadie Smith
"A Bend in the River" by V.S. Naipaul
"The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson McCullers
and for no reason "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel

Third Option by Vince Flynn. Just wish I'd read all his stuff in order. Nice when you can be at work and start and finish a 400 page book on a 12 hour shift! :laugh:

His books are page turners.

If you like Flynn, Lee Child and John Sandford may turn your crank, too.

I'm an English major and will be writing my senior thesis this fall, so my summer has been occupied with the following works:

"On Beauty" by Zadie Smith
"A Bend in the River" by V.S. Naipaul
"The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson McCullers
and for no reason "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel

An all time favorite right there.

Ironically, I just saw a thread like this on another board.

I am currently reading:

everything is illuminated by jonothan safran foer
watchmen - graphic novel by alan moore and dave gibbons
song of myself - walt whitman

I am currently reading:

It may be tough to find, but if you can find the actual issued Watchmen comics they are worth the time. The compilation is good, but I think the whole idea of the series is better portrayed in the comic book form.

Pacific Vortex by Clive Cussler. It is the first of the Pitt novels, written late 70's I think, but never published. I didn't much care for it as compared to a more matured character in later books.

The Vegas Legacy by Ovid Demaris. Easily one of the most graphic depictions of mafia violence, sex and actions. Interesting book.

I am currently reading:

It may be tough to find, but if you can find the actual issued Watchmen comics they are worth the time. The compilation is good, but I think the whole idea of the series is better portrayed in the comic book form.

Yes, but my library has the compilation for free! You guys see the Watchman trailer yet?

The God of War-Chris Stewart

Killing Rommel-Steven Pressfield

Genghis, Lord of the Bows-Conn Iggulden

I am currently reading:

yea, I have a feeling that would be quite expensive. What are the differences between the original comics and the compilation? I was under the impression that the compilation is all of them put together in one book.

I am currently reading:

Yes, but my library has the compilation for free! You guys see the Watchman trailer yet?

The God of War-Chris Stewart

Killing Rommel-Steven Pressfield

Genghis, Lord of the Bows-Conn Iggulden

yea, the movie looks good. I was not a huge fan of the dawn of the dead remake, or 300, but this looks promising.

Watchmenbabiessimp.png