• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What if?

It's not an issue of having enough tobacco; recent crops have been good so there's plenty of tobacco on hand. But converting that tobacco into cigars is a different story. To ramp up production, new rollers have to be added to the lines. And you can't train rollers overnight. So this is why I say quality is going to take a hit initially. Eventually they'll get their stuff together and the quality will return, but in the short term prices are going to go up and quality is going to go down. In the long run things should be better. The Cuban cigar craze that is going to sweep America initially will fade out and prices overall will go down. Also more competition in the market will improve non-Cuban cigars and Habanos, S.A. will realize that people will not buy Cubans simply because they're Cubans.

A different issue that hasn't been touched on yet in this thread is what is going to happen to the brand names? Most of the old traditional Cuban brands (Monte, Partagas, Punch, etc.) are licensed in the US by other manufacturers. How will Habanos sell Punch, for example, in this country since the name is already trademarked by someone else? This is going to be a real mess and will have to be solved before we ever think about lifting the embargo. Cubatobaco is already in a lawsuit with General Tobacco over the Cohiba name, presumably gearing up for the day the embargo is lifted. But there are over a dozen such brandnames that must get resoved somehow. IANAL, but this just looks like a big alligator pit to me.

I think it's about time to wrap this discussion up. :lookup:

I don't know anything about Mr. Lieberman's politics, but I know that he would have a hard time winning in Florida with an anti-embargo plank in his platform. It would be easier for a Republican since the Cubans won't be voting for him anyway.

Ok Mr. 157 posts...why don't you tell us more about what this board needs. :lookup: You seem to think you know everything already.

TheBeast said:
Ok Mr. 157 posts...why don't you tell us more about what this board needs. :lookup: You seem to think you know everything already.
Does that even deserve a reply?

I am just putting across the idea that maybe we could use more back-and-forth discussions about real issues. To many people they seem small and trivial, but to us as lovers of great cigars, they are important.

By the way Beast, there is always a bigger kid on the block. Don't big-time me on the number of posts you have.

I think it's about time to wrap this discussion up.
misssed the humor.

anyway, yes I've been to Cuba and as close as Korea to being to China.

McPatrickClan said:
I am just putting across the idea that maybe we could use more back-and-forth discussions about real issues. To many people they seem small and trivial, but to us as lovers of great cigars, they are important.

By the way Beast, there is always a bigger kid on the block. Don't big-time me on the number of posts you have.
Fine!!! Broaden the topics...get all cerebral, but move on for christs sake. How many times can you go back and forth about the embargo issue. I don't have a problem with anyone discussing "real issues", but your beating a dead horse (no offense to mark...lol). Again, move on.

As far as posts go, you just seem a bit pushy for a newbie.

TheBeast said:
As far as posts go, you just seem a bit pushy for a newbie.
Beast, for all you know, I am Arturo Fuente himself banging the keys on this laptop! Newbie my #$*&. In a discussion forum, I am obligated to contribute as I see fit. I have noticed that you do the same and to be honest, take many of my cues from users as yourself.

Well it's obvious you know as much about Fuente as you do the isom market.LMAO

You know what...some people might see this as a flame war...but I see it as a disagreement in which forward progress is being made...I say you 2 go for it and keep it clean...once you reach an impass...agree to disagree...but I see points on both sides...

Emo

WTF...I am not an instigator...I demand the truth...lol

By the way...take it to the island of cuba or the lobby, as it is off topic in this board...hijackers!

No need. I apologize. This is pointless. I'm satisfied by the pleasure I get knowing for every useless post continued on this thread, I'm smoking a nice isom at a price you'll never see if they ever hit the American market. So debate about the embargo all you want, I'm not sure why I even cared. Sorry. :lookup:

To Beast & All Others:

I apologize if my posts were so far off-topic that I wasted your time. I plan to be a respectful user here for as long as I enjoy cigars.

No apology necessary McP. If Beast feels that posts on this thread are useless, nobody's holding a gun to his head to read them...as far as I know. I for one, enjoyed the thread so you don't owe me or anyone else an apology.

:lookup: It's nice see that you speak for "everyone" else FT...interesting. :lookup: