• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What music are you listening to currently?

On Audible: Scott Pelley’s book “A Truth Worth Telling”. Chapter One tells the story of WTC 1&2’s hit & collapse. It’s been a hard listen.

hqdefault.jpg

Doc

Free 1969 Japanese Platinum SHM "for audiophiles only" reissue. Does sound pretty good.

81lwT5C1tyL._SY355_.jpg

Somewhere in NYC in 1969 Larry Coryell opened a show and was followed by Raven and then Buddy Guy who was in turn followed by....?

Who was the headliner and how much were the best tickets?

Back on Aug 14, 1974 The Ramones played their first gig at CBGB's in the Bowery of NYC. They instantly became the unofficial house band playing there an additional 70 times in the next 136 days. When they first started they weren't even called punk - more like a musical hurricane that lasted 2 minutes at a time. It wasn't until mid or even late 1975 that punk became a genre unto it's own. While it can be argued that Iggy or the MC5 were punks they did things that punk rebelled against like long guitar and drum solos - something you'll never hear on a Ramones album.

While the sometimes heated discussion of who the first truly punk band was there can be no doubt the Ramones are at the top of the list. If you really want to start an argument name the first punk song and you'll get everything from The Kinks "You Really Got Me Now" to Iggy's "I Wanna Be Your Dog" but it is really Los Saicos 1964 recording of Demolicion. At least now before you can disagree with me you'll have to find it and give it a listen.

Listening to Ramones - Rocket to Russia 40th Anniversary Deluxe Box Set

ramones-logo.jpg

Somewhere in NYC in 1969 Larry Coryell opened a show and was followed by Raven and then Buddy Guy who was in turn followed by....?

Who was the headliner and how much were the best tickets?
Led Zeppelin. Couldn't have been much. I saw MC-5, Johnny Winter, and LZ for 10 bucks at the Boston Garden that year. They were pretty good seats. Right behind the Hell's Angels

While LZ is correct, "it couldn't have been much" is not number I can agree or disagree with.

Led Zeppelin. Couldn't have been much. I saw MC-5, Johnny Winter, and LZ for 10 bucks at the Boston Garden that year. They were pretty good seats. Right behind the Hell's Angels

Today was the 39th anniversary of John Lennon's death. There are a large amount of people my age and older that view this event as one of the most tragic in their lifetime. I am not one to hold that view. In fact after the Plastic Ono Band albums I wasn't a fan of anything he did. The Wedding Album was Beatle Nihilism, others were, IMO, poor attempts at homage to the music he started on in the 50's to overly warm and fuzziness of Imagine.

While i morn his death I morn more the fact that he didn't write more songs with Paul since as a collaborator he had few peers.

Been listening to a ton of Christmas music since Dec 2nd, as I'm wont to do this time of year. Listening to the "Holliday Chill" station on Sirius, which is a nice down tempo electronic respite from all the old classics from the 40's and on.

Sometime in the mid 70's the Rolling Stones Genuine Black Box Set showed up as a 3 record bootleg. Over time it morphed into a 4 record set, 4 CD set, 2 three CD sets and 3 two CD sets before eventually coming out as a single 6 CD box set. I had the original 3 record set and put off bying any replacements but I found the 6 CD set at my used record store for $15 and decided to go for it. Most of it is surprisingly good quality considering it is outtakes and demos or alternate versions plus you can get the previously hard to find 'Tell Me Baby, How Many Times' recorded at Chess Studios, Chicago in 1964. previously only available on The Rolling Stones Story Vol II a 4 lp European box set.

stones_gbb_front0003.jpg

I have been told by a few people that my father had one of the premiere collections of recorded violin music in the US. To me it sounded like you were trying to stretch a cat. Since I haven't done anything with the collection I decided to listen to a few just to see if I had mellowed or to reconfirm my opinion. That lead me to these two articles which are really very interesting to read if you are at all interested in violins.

The Greatest Violin No One’s Ever Heard
Million-dollar Strads fall to modern violins in blind ‘sound check’

I have been told by a few people that my father had one of the premiere collections of recorded violin music in the US. To me it sounded like you were trying to stretch a cat. Since I haven't done anything with the collection I decided to listen to a few just to see if I had mellowed or to reconfirm my opinion. That lead me to these two articles which are really very interesting to read if you are at all interested in violins.

The Greatest Violin No One’s Ever Heard
Million-dollar Strads fall to modern violins in blind ‘sound check’
I took Folk Fiddling at a local college. I sucked at it. If I can't hit it; I can't play it.

Doc