• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What music are you listening to currently?

The%2Bbox%2Btops%2B-%2Bthe%2Bletter.jpg

Doc

Reactions: AVB
I don't suppose you know what an LP is either. Well for one thing, some of us think it's better than a CD, but then, we're old.

Doc

LP ...Isn't that propane?

I'm not that young. Grew up with a handful of these.
s-l1000.jpg

Alex Chilton - An American master of the pop song. His next band after the Box Tops - Big Star should have been huge if not for the fickleness of the American radio and audiences.

This Friday marks the start of the Woodstock Music and Arts Festival 50 years ago. While not the largest ever is is certainly the best remembered. The "Official" Woodstock releases keep coming out as technology or greed improves on some of the recordeings. If you are a torrent fan there is a "Woodstock Complete" that is trying to get every performance by every performer. The 2012 copy I have (which I really should update) is 26 CDs and Rhino just released a limited edition 38 CD 432 track box set called Woodstock - Back To The Garden which does have every performer in chronological order with every song minus 2 Hendrix (MasterMind & Gypsy Woman) and one Sha Na Na (Teenager in Love) tracks But at $800 I'm gonna pass.

No matter what you listen too, those days were hard to beat.

Now if only somebody would release a complete Watkins Glen set (I made it to that one).

Listening to Woodstock Complete bootleg CD set

Tom Waits and Ricky Lee Jones.......their only big hit together was Rainbow Sleeves but others together are good and each alone have a lot of great music.

This Friday marks the start of the Woodstock Music and Arts Festival 50 years ago. While not the largest ever is is certainly the best remembered. The "Official" Woodstock releases keep coming out as technology or greed improves on some of the recordeings. If you are a torrent fan there is a "Woodstock Complete" that is trying to get every performance by every performer. The 2012 copy I have (which I really should update) is 26 CDs and Rhino just released a limited edition 38 CD 432 track box set called Woodstock - Back To The Garden which does have every performer in chronological order with every song minus 2 Hendrix (MasterMind & Gypsy Woman) and one Sha Na Na (Teenager in Love) tracks But at $800 I'm gonna pass.

No matter what you listen too, those days were hard to beat.

Now if only somebody would release a complete Watkins Glen set (I made it to that one).

Listening to Woodstock Complete bootleg CD set
And speaking of which, Santana wasn't supposed to be there; they hadn't released their first album yet. Billy Graham insisted. So they got to play. When I heard their first album, my jaw dropped. From that day on I've had a love of Latin music.
888751061828.jpg

Doc

Last edited:
And speaking of which, Santana wasn't supposed to be there; they hadn't released their first album yet. Billy Graham insisted. So they got to play. When I heard their first album, my jaw dropped. From that day on I've had a love of Latin music.
888751061828.jpg

Doc

Oddly enough the second to the last act right before Jimi Hendrix was Sha Na Na who didn't have a record contract either.

888751061828.jpg

Doc

I got into Santana, when he and Rob Thomas did "Smooth", in 1999. Have been a fan since.

I was in Sacramento in June of '99, training for my new job. Every time I hear this song, it brings back a lot of memories!

January 9th 2002, in a case of premature adoration Michael Jackson was named Artist Of The Century only 374 days into the 21st Century leaving the rest of us to wonder about the other 36,151 days that were left. Luckily, a number of events took our mind off that silliness. U2 performed at the Superbowl, The first Bonnaroo festival was held, My Chemical Romance's released their first album and Queens of the Stone Age release Songs for the Deaf - which is what I listened to last night.
611Btp%2B97PL._SX355_.jpg

Last edited:
Nashville cats, play clean as country water
Nashville cats, play wild as mountain dew
Nashville cats, been playin' since they's babies
Nashville cats, get work before they're two

Well, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two
Guitar pickers in Nashville
And they can pick more notes than the number of ants
On a Tennessee ant hill

Yeah, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two
Guitar cases in Nashville
And any one that unpacks 'is guitar could play
Twice as better than I will

In jazz the player was almost always the star over the instrument he or she played. When you think of early jazz sax greats you might come up with Trane, Hawkins, Parker, Gordon, Young or Getz or 50 more I didn't name. When you think of early rock sax players you think of........yeah, that's right, you have to THINK. The sax was almost the instrument that defined early rock and yet the players never achieved the level of stardom that the jazz players did. Except one

Born in 1934 Texas, Curtis Ousley became so good that he was called the King. While his most familiar piece might be his playing on the Coaster's Yakkey Yak he played on hundreds of Atlantic records. He was so good the he and his band the Kingpins opened for a number of white acts in the 50's and 60's. Acts like Buddy Holly and opening for the Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1965. Hendrix played in his band for a short while and the King sat in with Duane Allman and won a Grammy for the instrumental version of Games People Play.

Becoming Aretha Franklin's Musical Director he and the Kingpins backed her on the Live From The Fillmore West album and his own record of the same name grew his rock audience. In early '71 he did the sax tracks for Lennon's Imagine album. Sadly King Curtis was murdered by drug addicts on the front steps of his apartment building in August of 1971, about a month before the release of Imagine. He was 37.

Listening to:
47312.jpg

Last edited: