• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What type of cutter and why?

Damn Puros
You carry a knife everytime you smoke a cigar?
Nice looking knife btw.
I'll know never to mess with you if i see you smoking...... lol.
:D

Another vote for the SAK. Quick, very very clean, and lop off EXACTLY the amount you want. Besides, I NEVER go anywhere without a knife...

/short story
Once upon a time, at a horse show, an idot (not me) had looped the lead-rope around his horses neck and tied it to a fence. The horse spooked, set-back, and was promptly choking itself to death. Back then, I carried a 4" folding Buck, I whipped it out and cut the lead-rope, the horse recovered and said idiot was more thankful and ashamed of his stupidity than you can imagine. Have made sure that I have a knife in my pocket ever since.
/end of short story

Besides, there are at LEAST 1001 uses for a SAK :)

Damn Puros
You carry a knife everytime you smoke a cigar?
Nice looking knife btw.
I'll know never to mess with you if i see you smoking...... lol.

LOL, I've been was a boy Scout and I've been a Ghetto paramedic for 15 years. I don't go many places without it.

But the SAK has caught the interest of the MacGyver fan in me. I see one in my near future. :p

I punch except with torpedos (guillotine). Have a punch built into my lighter.

SAK or Xi 90% of the time. Once in a while I'll punch but usually only if I forget my other cutters.

I use a $1.99 punch I got at wal mart and it works fine for a few months, then I replace when its gets a bit dull. Carry it on my key chain. When I need a better draw or on torps, I use a guillotine.

The Cigarbar I go to have a nice v cutter that works like a old fashioned pencil sharpener, and I really like the feel of that, a better draw than a punch. Are there any reasonably priced hand held v cutters?

Personally, I'm with toaster on this one. I use my teeth on 90% of my cigars. (a bad habit I picked up from old timer Cuban technicos) Once you master the art of removing the cap with your teeth, it's the best way IMHO. For torps, I use either a Palio or my Xikar scissors.

Never liked using a punch because IMHO the cigar has a good chance of displaying some negative flavors as a restricted airflow tends to condense the tar and nicotine on the radius of the hole. This is especially true for full body smokes which I tend to smoke. I've seen tar ooze from a punch hole. That stuff is horrible. Keep in mind that unrestricted Airflow is extremelly important to the overall performance of a cigar. ;)

Gael said:
Never liked using a punch because IMHO the cigar has a good chance of displaying some negative flavors as a restricted airflow tends to condense the tar and nicotine on the radius of the hole. This is especially true for full body smokes which I tend to smoke. I've seen tar ooze from a punch hole. That stuff is horrible. Keep in mind that unrestricted Airflow is extremelly important to the overall performance of a cigar. ;)
Thanks Gael, I didnt know that, but it kind of makes sense.

I still like the way the v cutter works the cigar bar I go to. Anyone have a recomendation for a reasonably priced v cutter?

I have used the plastic cheapiy gullitene and a cheap v cutter of same design. Have apair of sissors but of all I prefer a punch.

I have one on my key chain that is in a leather holder. It swiveles to open and has a crest on it. I thought I lost it the other day as the leater broke but found it on the floor of my car. I have used it for maybe 10 years!

I use a giveaway Cohiba guillotine cutter for most of my cigars, or my CRKT M-16 when I have it on me [I don't like the way my Benchmade 550S cuts cigars].

I haven't had any problems doing it that way, and may give a V-cutter a try too, whenever I get around to it.

-DraKhen99

I have been using a guillotine for a couple of years now. I still can't cut it right. LOL I always end up cutting it just enough so the wrapper will start coming off. I just bought a Xikar as my cheap single blade cutters have become dull. I have a punch on my new lighter so I am going to try it a few times and see if I like it better. I too have been told that with a punch tar will build up and constrict the draw. I will have to try it out for myself to see.

Broke down and bought a punch the other day, a Xikar X1 and I love it. Haven't noticed any tar buildup so far, and as it's a large diameter it makes a pretty generous hole, nearly the same size I get when I just barely slice the cap with my Havana guillotine.

Now to try it on something strond and see what happens. :sign:

I use the Zino guillotine. Awesome cutter, still sharp as the day i bought it. I never tried a punch, as I've heard so much about the tar buildup. But since so many people here use it, I'm gonna give it a shot. Also want to try a V cutter.