• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's in your pipe today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
McClelland #24 in the Stanwell on the back porch at sunset.

Serious R&R!

I've been burning through a very mild house blend, one that isn't too complex called Toothless.

Torben Dansk Red Virginia #3 Superb - Who thinks up these ridiculously long names? By whatever name, it's one of my favorite latakia blends. Just good red VA and plain old cyprian latakia. Of course, discontinued a few years ago and hard to get now. :( I picked up a few cans at MSRP but I don't even see this one on eBay

I just had some Cube Cut from Peter Stokkebye in a Cob Diplomat.

It was a little rougher then Carter Hall, but it had a little more nicotine and it didn't have that chemical/stale cigarette element that Carter Hall does. I've had some MacBaren burley's and they all have a tendency to bit a little. I don't know how I feel about the little cubes yet though. I tried briefly to rub them out this morning, but had no success. So I just pored them into my cob and tamped. I had a few relights, but all and all, a very pleasant blend.

I have a tin of penzance that was getting a little dry. I filled my poker with some and I have to say it's amazing! I had to post this as I'm smoking it.

EMP in a small straight Rhodesian after breakfast with coffee.

Bracken Flake in a Blatter & Blatter Dublin after lunch.

Both fine smokes

I cracked a tin of GO Yenidje Supreme from '07 today. Just about perfect smoking moisture right out of it's ketchup-smelling tin! ;) no latakia in this blend. Just top shelf VA and Yenidje. :)

Steve

This AM was GLP Westminster in my MM General.

This PM was a revisit of Solani Aged Burley Flake in my Wessex Poker. I don't think burley is my thing.

Squadron Leader in my Cob diplomat.

I've tried several Balkan/English style blends this weekend. P.S.'s Balkan Supreme, Proper English and the Oriental, Dunhill 965, Frog Morton's, Balkan Sesaini and Squadron Leader.

After reading alot on the internet and seeing Menthol mentioned over and over again in reviews.

And after seeing that companies such as Dunhill and Samuel Gawith also making snuff, in which many snuff's have menthol, I'm really starting to believe that certain Balkan and English blends do have menthol in them.

Which, this isn't a problem, it's just weird that I can't really find anything to actually point at, that says... yes... this blend has just a tad bit of menthol added to it.

But so far... Balkan Sasaini has the most. I smoked menthol cigarettes for a few years when I was younger, so I can really identify with the taste. Menthol adds a very "cool", minty, peppermenty taste.... but it also leaves a sour, bitter after taste. This is exactly what I experience in Balkan Sasaini. It's not as much as a menthol cigarette. It's much more milder.

I can also taste it in Squadron Leader and Dunhill 965.

After reading several reviews on many Samuel Gawith tobacco's, I'm starting to think that SG uses menthol in a lot of their blends.

Anyway... just an observation. Like I said, it doesn't put me off at all... but it does make a difference in the over all taste and smoke of a Balkan/English blend. When I smoke something that I don't taste any menthol at all, like Proper English or Balkan Supreme, it's very different then something that seems to have alot of menthol added to it... like Balkan Sasaini or Squadron Leader.

I could be totally wrong... but so far my taste buds don't think so. :)

I've read that menthol is used to make a cooler smoke. It makes sense, but I'm sure it's very small amounts. I can't recall ever thinking "menthol", while smoking.

I just hope that pointing this out to me doesn't ruin my Balkan experience.  When I did smoke cigarettes I hated menthol. I would rather not smoke the cigarette. Grubbers can be choosey!

I've never tasted menthol in any blend of pipe tobacco. And I smoked Kools for three years so I know the taste of menthol. Of course, I'm sure someone's has tried blending with it.

Had a delicious bowl of Christmas Cheer '08 this afternoon. I should buy a few tins of this for the cellar! ;)

Steve

Yesterday I smoked some PA in a Boswell freehand followed by some SG Navy Flake in a My Own Blend sandblasted billiard. Today was some Escudo in a Savinelli Tundra 699.

Two days ago, I had a bowl of Peach Melba, from a local Tobacconist. I smoked it in a hand-made briar pipe, that was made locally by a friend of a friend. The pipe was given to me as a groomsman gift.

This evening had a half bowl of Boswell Sweet Tea, and then a little later had a bowl of GLP Montgomery.

Just loading up EMP into a tall Blatter & Blatter Canadian after breakfast before golf.

Watching the sun come up over the hills behind my house. Going to be a lovely day for golf!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.