• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's in your pipe today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried my first bowl of Butternut Burley. Very nice smoke and great aroma.

I enjoyed a bowl of Dans Blend, great intro to Virginias. I really enjoyed this one.

Last night, before bed, was Frog Morton on the Town in my CAO Meer....

gallery_1871_761_70365.jpg

and today to start off the morning (45 min drive to work), was Charing Cross in my Lucienne Bent Apple.....

gallery_1871_761_570034.jpg

I am about to light up a bowl of Frog Morton on the Town on the back deck- a warm summer night....ahhhhhhh.

I enjoyed a nice bowl of Frog Morton on the Town myself last night! I must say I am definitely impressed with this blend. I purchased it two weeks ago and had a a few bowls of it since then, so I feel comfortable reviewing it now. The tin aroma is best described as somewhere between incense and a very peaty scotch. Reminds me of Laphroiac very much, for anyone that is familiar with that Scotch.

The tobacco straight from the tin had a nice moisture level (the tin date was from 06 unless I misread it). It felt fairly dry but not crisp. For my first bowl I set a small amount out on a towel for about 10 minutes and then proceeded to pack my meerschaum using the Frank method. From the charring light I enjoyed the flavor, and detecting some spiciness which I had yet to experience from a tobacco (mind you, I have only smoked aromatics up until this point). After the true light I began to really detect the flavor of the tobacco. The one thing that struck me odd was the smell of the initial burn from light. It smelled like bad body odor. Haha, that is the best way I can describe it. Anyone else experience this? After a few minutes this toned down and the room note became more incense like.

The flavors of FMOTT were fantastic! Unlike anything I've experienced. I could detect some nice smokiness and spicy notes, which I assume were from the latakia, but intertwined in there was a sweet taste that seemed to stay throughout the smoke. It was a consistent smoke all the way through to the bottom. I loved it. Not once did this tobacco bite and I only had to re-light once. After I was finished I was left with a sweet almost coffee like aftertaste in my mouth. No dry mouth or anything. For at least three hours after the bowl I enjoyed this flavor. Again, I loved it.

Since that first bowl I smoked FMOTT again another night but left the tobacco out to dry for about an hour (I got side tracked and caught up in a few other things). When I went to smoke I did not experience a lot of the same effects from the first experience. The tobacco tasted rather bland and did not do much for me. The next time I smoked it, I did not dry it at all and just packed a bowl straight from the tin. I was treated to the wonderful experience of the first smoke and all the flavors were there again. :thumbs: I would recommend NOT letting this sit out for long before smoking.

I am eager to try the other Frog Morton blends. My local B&M has Frog Morton on the Bayou, so I may pick that up to try.

I am about to light up a bowl of Frog Morton on the Town on the back deck- a warm summer night....ahhhhhhh.

I enjoyed a nice bowl of Frog Morton on the Town myself last night! I must say I am definitely impressed with this blend. I purchased it two weeks ago and had a a few bowls of it since then, so I feel comfortable reviewing it now. The tin aroma is best described as somewhere between incense and a very peaty scotch. Reminds me of Laphroiac very much, for anyone that is familiar with that Scotch.

The tobacco straight from the tin had a nice moisture level (the tin date was from 06 unless I misread it). It felt fairly dry but not crisp. For my first bowl I set a small amount out on a towel for about 10 minutes and then proceeded to pack my meerschaum using the Frank method. From the charring light I enjoyed the flavor, and detecting some spiciness which I had yet to experience from a tobacco (mind you, I have only smoked aromatics up until this point). After the true light I began to really detect the flavor of the tobacco. The one thing that struck me odd was the smell of the initial burn from light. It smelled like bad body odor. Haha, that is the best way I can describe it. Anyone else experience this? After a few minutes this toned down and the room note became more incense like.

The flavors of FMOTT were fantastic! Unlike anything I've experienced. I could detect some nice smokiness and spicy notes, which I assume were from the latakia, but intertwined in there was a sweet taste that seemed to stay throughout the smoke. It was a consistent smoke all the way through to the bottom. I loved it. Not once did this tobacco bite and I only had to re-light once. After I was finished I was left with a sweet almost coffee like aftertaste in my mouth. No dry mouth or anything. For at least three hours after the bowl I enjoyed this flavor. Again, I loved it.

Since that first bowl I smoked FMOTT again another night but left the tobacco out to dry for about an hour (I got side tracked and caught up in a few other things). When I went to smoke I did not experience a lot of the same effects from the first experience. The tobacco tasted rather bland and did not do much for me. The next time I smoked it, I did not dry it at all and just packed a bowl straight from the tin. I was treated to the wonderful experience of the first smoke and all the flavors were there again. :thumbs: I would recommend NOT letting this sit out for long before smoking.

I am eager to try the other Frog Morton blends. My local B&M has Frog Morton on the Bayou, so I may pick that up to try.

Nice review. The one thing I noticed with FMOTT is that it smokes better in a smaller shallow bowl. As for FMOTB? I have a tin and it's nothing like FMOTT. I think the perique takes away from the flavor. It has no umph!

Nice review. The one thing I noticed with FMOTT is that it smokes better in a smaller shallow bowl. As for FMOTB? I have a tin and it's nothing like FMOTT. I think the perique takes away from the flavor. It has no umph!

I smoked it in my meerschaum which is essentially the same shape/size as yours except it is just a traditional smooth bowl with minor decorative carvings (yours is amazing I must say). What do you think the reason is that it smokes better in the smaller bowl?

Glad I got your advice on FMOTB. Ever tried Across the Pond?

Frog on the Bayou is my least favorite of the series. I really enjoy Across the Pond and On the Town the most, but the original Frog is a great comfort tobacco for me. It's one of the first non-aros I ever smoked and I really love it.

Great review!

I smoked it in my meerschaum which is essentially the same shape/size as yours except it is just a traditional smooth bowl with minor decorative carvings (yours is amazing I must say). What do you think the reason is that it smokes better in the smaller bowl?

Glad I got your advice on FMOTB. Ever tried Across the Pond?

I think it's such a mild smoke that it gets lost in a deeper, larger bowl. Just my take on it.

Nice review!

Anyone had any luck with Dunhill Early Morning? Just picked some up and was wondering if anyone had a take on it.

I think it's such a mild smoke that it gets lost in a deeper, larger bowl. Just my take on it.

Makes sense. It is extremely mild...I don't think I could get it to bite if I tried. Just the fact that the mouth feel after the smoke is so mild I think I could smoke this all day with no issue. Normally I keep something cold to drink nearby, however I felt no need with FMOTT.

Have you tried smoking any VA/Per in your meer? I have a few ounces of bulk McClelland 2015 Virginia but I'm debating buying a new pipe for just Virginias or trying it in the meer.

Nice review!

Anyone had any luck with Dunhill Early Morning? Just picked some up and was wondering if anyone had a take on it.

This was my first experience with an English blend. At first I couldn't really tell what I was smoking, but after the first 1/4 bowl it was very nice. Great flavor with quite a bit of nicotine. Made me a little tingly! I enjoyed this and the Frog Morton on the town (thanks yanksfan!) and feel they each have a place for me. I enjoy the Early Morning while driving home from work, and the Frog is a nice mellow bowl on the porch prior to bed.

Today I tried Butternut Burley and liked it also. It was my first bowl of it so I'll hold off judgement till I've smoked a bit more. Initial thoughts were good but I do not have the extensive background or depth of experience to really say it was super.

Andy

Dunhill Early Morning an English blend? I was under the impression it was an Oriental.

Doc.

I smoked my first bowl of Squadron Leader today. I was surprised how light the aroma was when I opened the tin, almost a burnt smell. I found the smoke to be mild to medium but very satisfyingly and luxurious. Really enjoyed it. Now I guess I need to buy a few tins to age. :laugh:

Dunhill Early Morning an English blend? I was under the impression it was an Oriental.

Doc.
It depends on which definition of "English blend" you're using. Some people call anything that's uncased an English blend.

I don't call a blend an English blend unless it has some Latakia in it. I don't know if there's a hard fast definition, but the one I've seen the most for an English blend is a Virginia base with Latakia and possibly some Oriental for spice.

As far as I know, EMP doesn't have Latakia in it, it just has Virginia and Oriental tobacco.

I would agree with you, Doc, that EMP is an Oriental, not an English blend.

I just came in from a bowl of Habana Daydream from Cornell & Diehl. Simply delicious, one of my new favorites.

Despite getting a new pipe, I decided to take out the old corn cob..my very first pipe infact. Packed it with Vanilla Cream from Boswell, always nice when I feel like vanilla.

SG FVF - great VA as usual!

RE naming blends: I guess it's like NC cigar vitola names. There's latitude. But most blends named "English" I've seen have some Oriental and Latakia, too. But I've seen a wide variety of combos named "English" including what some call "Balkan".

Go Figure? :)

A two bowl day

Pease Cairo int the afternoon and Dunhill SMM from 2000 after dinner.

Enjoying a nice bowl of Frog Morton on the Town right now while I stay up til the wee hours of the night finishing a design job for work tomorrow morning. This may be a two or three bowl evening. :D

Edit: It's been a couple hours now...I'm having a bowl of Butternut Burley in my briar now. I'm glad I gave this blend another chance. I had some not so good bowls when I first received my batch a few months back. I'll chalk it up to inexperience and poor packing because I'm really enjoying this now. It's got a real smooth buttery quality to it, not overly cased so the tobacco flavor is really coming through. My experience with burley is pretty much just with heavily cased aromatics, so I won't over analyze the burley in this smoke until I have more experience. The room note is pleasant, slightly sweet and not offensive.

Overall, a pleasant surprise for a blend I almost gave up on! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.