• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Red robin double smoke and pepper gourmet burger. With steamed broccoli and a blue moon white Belgian.

Carne Asada (steak) tacos with fixings, and a xx beer, hey it's in a green bottle does that count? :)

Trader Joe's teriyaki chicken with a side of white rice and steamed broccoli and carrots.

Teriyaki marinated strip steak cut into nice thin strips, tri color quinoa (made in rice cooker with beef broth), kale (roasted with EVOO/lemon pepper/garlic&onion powder) then combined with fresh scallions on top.

0c179a40-0732-44b3-bb15-e9e377d5fae2_zpseafd2d17.jpg

I know I laid it out pretty much already but do you guys want the recipe?

Macadamia Nut Crusted Halibut, and a Fyodor's Classic Stone IRS.. both delicious.

A can of chili. Mmmmmm. Not the cheap stuff either. I'm talking about $3.50 a can type of stuff here.

Peppers & eggs on Italian bread for my single lenten meal yesterday...freakin' awesome!

Christmas dinner took a bit of a different twist this year.  The wife and I both love good food, and we normally go all out on Christmas.  We decided to forego the traditional single meal and instead opt for a number of courses.  During the planning stage, we decided on seven courses:  salad, soup, pasta, fish, beef, cheese, dessert.  We figured that three chefs on Iron Chef America can produce five courses in an hour, so the two of us ought to be able to pull off seven in an evening.

Salad - micro greens with sprouts and crouton
Soup - roasted potato, leek and garlic with crispy shallots
Pasta - mushroom risotto with fried sweetbreads, bacon (mmmm, bacon!) and roasted brussel sprouts
Fish - Monkfish, potato, cherry tomato, pepper and olive tagine
Beef - Sirloin, beets and oranges tagine (the wife is on a Moroccan kick)
Cheese - several cuts of cheese from our local shop paired with figs 
Dessert - chocolate and hazelnut torte

Well, things started to go awry when we finished grocery shopping on Tuesday evening.  By the time we got home from the market we decided to open one of our last bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau and break into the cheese course: champagne cheddar, cranberry stilton, butterkäse.  Oh well, six courses is still a good number.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12297]

I did a few prep items Christmas afternoon and then we started cooking in earnest about 5 pm.  I worked on the soup and prep for the pasta and fish while the wife created the cake.  We got off our planned timeline a bit with Christmas calls with family, and a couple of yolks in the egg whites, which required an emergency trip to the convenient store in search of new eggs.  To remedy the situation, we skipped the salad course.  Face it, salad isn't really food.  It's just a promissory note from the waiter that says, if you stay here food will come.

I've always loved roasted food.  Even though it takes longer, it develops more flavor, so I roasted the potatoes, leeks and garlic, then finished it on the stove top.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12294]

Next, the wife made the risotto while I sauteed the mushrooms then the sweetbreads.  I found a diverse set of recipes for sweetbreads, but wasn't entirely happy with the one I chose.  I think it could have benefited from soaking in milk prior to cooking.  Fortunately, I have another package in the freezer.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12295]

I tried to keep the serving sizes small, since we had a long lineup, but after eating the risotto we were both starting to feel full.  We powered on, though, since the fish was already marinating in the fridge.  We couldn't find a tagine cook pot, so I just used the dutch oven.  The flavors were amazing, although it could have use two more minutes of cooking.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12296]

By the time we finished eating the third course it was after 11:00, and we decided to call it complete.  The beef and cake will wait until later, along with leftover soup.  

It was a great day with my favorite gal and some great food.  I even found time for an Anejo 46, which left me a bit confused, but that's a story for another thread...

Marcela Valladolid baja style fish tacos with Oskar Blues Mamas little yells Pils.
a841fee6d5ee567e6e685a44f80f1e88.jpg

Homemade Pizza! Also sampling Homemade Pimento Cheeses. I made 3 different recipes. Trying to develop a new favorite.