• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Made a big pot of Mac & Cheese.
Was going to make a casserole with bacon and buttered breadcrumbs, but we are having severe weather.
Power's gone out twice. Didn't want to chance losing the oven midstream, so we're eating straight from the pot.
Also some flat top grilled Kosher Hot Dogs with buttered and grilled buns. I got the kid to try them a few days ago, he loved them, and wanted more.

Made a big pot of Mac & Cheese.
Was going to make a casserole with bacon and buttered breadcrumbs, but we are having severe weather.
Power's gone out twice. Didn't want to chance losing the oven midstream, so we're eating straight from the pot.
Also some flat top grilled Kosher Hot Dogs with buttered and grilled buns. I got the kid to try them a few days ago, he loved them, and wanted more.
If you've never done it before, I suggest slicing the wieners into rounds and then warming/charring them, add to said mac n cheese.

Yes! I do it with soups, and a simple tomato sauce too. (We've done it with chicken noodle soup too)
I'm hardcore and eat what I can find in the sauce afterwards. (we'd fight over it as kids)

I love eating it after it's been in there for just 5 minutes! ha! *Wife slaps hand*. Also our first time using San Marzanos. Pretty good, but I would like to more about why San Marzanos are so good for Italian cooking (other than they're imported from Italy). Acidity? Flavor? Novelty?

I love eating it after it's been in there for just 5 minutes! ha! *Wife slaps hand*. Also our first time using San Marzanos. Pretty good, but I would like to more about why San Marzanos are so good for Italian cooking (other than they're imported from Italy). Acidity? Flavor? Novelty?
Flavor, big time. A nice natural, low acid, sweetness. The "meat" is nice, and they have less seeds too.
That said, while a lot consider them the best, any ROMA tomato is a step up, in my book.

Found a couple smoked pork shanks at the market so I threw them in the crock pot with some barleywine (Sierra Nevada Bigfoot), apple cider, onion, and garlic. Stewed for 6 hours and then threw them in the broiler to try to crisp the skin up a bit. In the meantime tried to reduce down the stewing liquid for a sauce. I don't have enough patience for a proper reduction, though. At any rate, turned out pretty well. Still didn't get the skin crispy enough and some of the fat/tendon is not fully gelatin so I'm thinking the shanks could have used some more time in the pot. Maybe an additional hour or two.
eb35te.jpg

First time trying haggis. One of the local breweries is Scottish and had a fish and chip food truck show up. They had deep fried haggis on special. Pretty good. I would eat it again.
rlmln6.jpg

If you consider what likely goes into the average hot dog, I don't think haggis is all that much crazier. It had a stronger gamey lamb flavor, but if you've had white and/or black pudding, it's not that much different. And I happen to really enjoy white and black pudding/blood sausage.

Thai food and Sushi take home from what has been my favorite local Thai spot.

I was a little apprehensive when I found out there were new Owners.
What Thai (Massaman Curry, Chicken Satay, Tom Yum) we had was actually a bit better. Flavor was great, meat more tender, and larger portions. I was very pleased.

Sushi was a battered and deep fried roll, for my son, as he wanted to try Sushi for the first time. I figured that might be the best introduction. He liked it.
I'm thinking a trip there, sitting at the counter, and doing a chef's choice is a good "next try" approach.

A New York deli opened up nearby last year so we ordered a few things but I was too hungry for pictures. I had a calzone and got a sandwich for lunch tomorrow. Really good.

We had a SOUPerbowl cook-off today at work, and since I have a reputation for always making something featuring bacon I decided to make bacon soup. My wife got me the book, Modernist Cuisine at Home and a pressure cooker, so I took some inspiration from these two and made bacon soup.

16426079_10210520018813893_1200153484547373497_n.jpg

It's a parsnip, apple and vegetable stock base cooked under pressure, with salt pork as the star rendered in my cast iron skillet. I garnished it with pickled apples, chives and...of course...more bacon.

Checked out a new (to me) German deli today. I was very happy to see some things there that I haven't seen in the other delis I've been to. Tried some blood tongue (8:00), kasekrainer (12:00), and weisswurst (1:00), along with some sauerkraut which I'd already had before. Very happy to have a spot that sells kasekrainer close by, even if it isn't exactly the same as I had in Austria. I also spied some ready-to-bake maple pecan strudel in their cooler, but I managed to exhibit a modicum of self control (which I did not do when I cooked everything up and threw caution and good sense out the door).

n1s7ec.jpg

Sunday frittata . . . it's always whatever's handy, which this time was a sausage and asparagus penne pasta dish from yesterday (I've made a frittata with leftover mac 'n cheese before, and it was awesome, so I just went for it). Added some fresh spinach, added some parmesan to the cheese mixture, added some pepperoni slices on top before it went in the oven.

Basically . . . frittata pizza. I'm a gorram genius! :cool:

~Boar

My wife made corned beef and cabbage tonight. Seriously the worst corned beef we ever ate. It's like they forgot to put salt in the brine. I've had boiled plain potatoes with more flavor.

My wife made corned beef and cabbage tonight. Seriously the worst corned beef we ever ate. It's like they forgot to put salt in the brine. I've had boiled plain potatoes with more flavor.
I think the last one we had was the worst too...but it was from wayyyy too much seasoning that it came with.