• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's your favorite coffee?

What's your favorite cup of coffee?

• Folgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Starbucks

• Taster's Choice

• Sanka

• Butternut

• Hills Bros.

• Yuban

• Other brand not listed

• I'm a coffee-snob & only buy only the gourmet stuff ;)

• Total voters
My favoriet coffee is Yuban...the best over all taste and flavor I think, followed by Folgers Columbian. I am not one to drink flavored coffee, I always thought that flavoring was there to really just hide the taste. Most of the Gourmet coffees(Starbucks, Green Mountian, etc...)that were not flavored just leave's a tinny taste in my mouth...ick

Starbucks when on the road

At home-
1. Hawaiian Kona
2. Community Coffee
3. Cafe Sello Rojo (Columbain coffee I picked up in Ecuador)
4. Plantation Beans from a Ecuadoran plantaion (no-name brand, but very good)
5. Jacobs Krönung

I drink a lot of coffee and like to think that I know a little about coffee as I have worked in coffee shops on and off for a couple years. Drinking Starbucks coffee is like smoking a swisher, but not as good and more expensive. It is the mcdonalds of coffee, but more expensive. I will get an expresso drink there occasionally as you can always count on them tasting the exact same way and being relatively good, but their brew coffee is horrendous. On a side note mcdonalds actually has pretty good coffee, better than most nice restaurants. I am still working on some coffee that a friend brought back from Honduras, no label or brand name, but pretty good. Folgers Columbian is one of the best regularly available coffees around

ah geez, here we go, someone topped one of Scotty's old threads :laugh:

Scared me for a minute there....

CLICK HERE to see Scotty trying to suck up on some Coffee site. They ignored his ignorant a$$ so he stopped posting there :laugh:

Qualls07 said:
...Drinking Starbucks coffee is like smoking a swisher, but not as good and more expensive. It is the mcdonalds of coffee, but more expensive...
[snapback]224629[/snapback]​

I don't think that's fair. I moved to NYC from London in 1989, several years before Starbucks went national. I was used to drinking Italian espresso and Dutch blends (Douwe Egberts and another brand I can't remember the name) at home drip or pressed. At the time the best coffee I could find easily in NYC was the Columbian coffee served in delis in the waxed paper cups with the Greek mosaic motif around the cup; second best was from Dunkin' Donuts; there was no third best, just stale drip Folgers.

Starbucks might not have the world's greatest coffee and you might not like the contrived coffee-house vibe, but there's no denying that they offer a consistent product at a reasonable price and it is much, much better than 90% of what was available before they came along. That, and some very clever marketing, is what has made the brand so successful. And the enormous success of Starbucks has raised the bar generally and set a standard the other coffee houses ignore at their peril.

Sure, I'd rather sip a latte at some funky little independent coffee shop, but by their very nature, there aren't so many of those places around. And far from driving the independents out of business, I think I could make a reasonable argument that Starbucks, by educating a new generation of coffee drinkers, created the market that allows that funky little independent coffee shop to exist.

And if you're out in the 'burbs I'll go for the strip center Starbucks over the scalded drip from the corner Stop'n'Rob every time.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Consistent yes, reasonable price for coffee....you've got to be kidding.

Corona Gigante said:
but there's no denying that they offer a consistent product at a reasonable price
[snapback]224671[/snapback]​

I am not trying to completely bash starbucks, I do buy cappuccinos there. I was mainly refering to the beans they sell and their drip coffee. I think they over-roast the beans, I heard it was to give them a longer shelf life but I cant be sure about that. IMHO Starbucks has used the success of the shops (which are pretty good) to market their beans (not good). I do appreciate what they have done by popularizing coffee shops and providing a market for smaller independent coffee shopss. Sorry about coming across as a little harsh earlier, Im not trying to offend anyone, I just really like coffee.

marcsheldon said:
alright, maybe someone has asked this before but im too lazy to search for it:

is cuban coffee as much sought after as their cigars? is there like a "bean pass" website where guys like us sit around all day and talk about isom coffee beans?
[snapback]164012[/snapback]​

Cuban coffee is poor quality, IMO, and the people in our group at the hotel. Its nothing special, and the milk they use doesn't taste right.

What i prefer, is Columbian beans, three-quarters, mixed with one quarter Irish Cream or a flavored bean. I think the secret is to grind it prior to brewing. :thumbs:

Sunward said:
...the milk they use doesn't taste right.

What i prefer, is Columbian beans, three-quarters, mixed with one quarter Irish Cream or a flavored bean. I think the secret is to grind it prior to brewing. :thumbs:
[snapback]224916[/snapback]​

I wonder if they use sterilized milk. Sterilized milk keeps better if you don't have a refrigerator. My grandmother actually preferred the taste of sterilized milk to pasteurized. Just one more way visiting her used to freak me out as a kid.

And yes, I would definitely recommend grinding the beans prior to brewing rather than after brewing. :rolleyes:

Sunward said:
marcsheldon said:
alright, maybe someone has asked this before but im too lazy to search for it:

is cuban coffee as much sought after as their cigars?  is there like a "bean pass" website where guys like us sit around all day and talk about isom coffee beans?
[snapback]164012[/snapback]​

Cuban coffee is poor quality, IMO, and the people in our group at the hotel. Its nothing special, and the milk they use doesn't taste right.

[snapback]224916[/snapback]​

Gotta disagree with you on this one. I'm sipping on some home roasted Turquino and is really good.

I had to vote "Other" in your poll. I roast my own from "green" coffees I get from literally all over the world and my 'favorite' seems to change very frequently. I read a comment that Cuban coffee is of a low quality and respectfully do not agree - I have enjoyed some really delicious Cuban coffee lately. Over the last week or so, I had the chance to roast and taste 2 varieties of Mexican coffee, a Panamanian Organic Estate as well as coffee from Uganda and Costa Rica. There hasn't been a bad one from this group and just like cigars - you find that there are really a world of difference in the taste of the various varieties.
Plus - as an added bonus to having the freshest and I believe best tasting coffee possible - I also discovered a TREMENDOUS cost savings when you roast your own....

Jamiacan Blue Beans and Kona are my absolute favorites. I have a Cuisinart grinder brewer that I love :love: and try to keep bean stock. I have gotten as a gift from Trader Joes, and Killer Beans and they were really fabulous.

Cuban bean coffee is very very high octane..One cup will start a Daytona car first 100 laps...

I also have to disagree. Cuban coffee is some of the very beans beans in the world! Turquino and Crystal Mt are on the top of my list. "Cuban Style" coffee and Cuban coffee are not the same. If you know what you're doing you can make "Cuban Style" coffee from just about any coffee. But REAL Cuban coffee will make you feel like you've waisted most of your life drinking swill!

DocRKS is correct that roasting your own beans can cut your cost down to almost nothing...we're talking about 5¢ per cup. Home roasting is not for everyone so do research before jumping into this wonderful hobby.

When you buy "gourmet " coffee you're not always getting the best beans or the best roast...plus you can be damned sure that the beans are already old. If you buy ground beans you've moved down the coffee food-chain even farther. Ground beans will have a great flavor loss if not used within minutes after grinding as the oils disapate and the coffee becomes bitter.

The only reason that the cans of coffee don't explode in the store is that the ground beans are exposed to nitrogen gas, this stops the coffee from degassing and spoils the beans right away...kinda like eating grey meat.

My Killer Beans coffee is sold in 1 lb and 1/2 lb bags with a clear front...you can actually see how fresh they are. I don't think too many others do this...that's becuase they don't want you to see how dry and old the beans are. A vaccum bag means nothing as the beans will start to go stale even if you pack in a bag with a one-way valve. I do use vaccum bags with a one-way valve, but they beans are not going to last you forever (I've heard some coffee store staff tell people that the beans will last in the bag for a year or more...give me a break). Coffee hate three things: Oxygen, sunlight and cold. ALWAYS store you coffee in an airtight container in the kitchen cabinets.

I'm not trying to be a shill by mentioning my Killer Beans, I would love if those of you who haven't tried them would...you'd be very pleased. My beans cost between $10.95 - $14.95 for a 1 lb bag...this works out to be around 12¢ - 17¢ per cup. If you roast your own you'll beat the pants off of those prices.

Since most of you don't smoke only "cut filler" cigars, why would you drink crap coffee. Life is too short for you to not enjoy REAL coffee, and there are enough beans out there for you to be able to find something that you'll enjoy...give high quality beans a try!

My favorite coffee is DUNKIN DONUTS COFFEE.
I like my coffee black with a lot of Equal Sweetener in it. Dunkin Donuts also has some nice mocha flavored coffee.

I picked up a pound of Honduran coffee called Cade de Indio and also a pound of Rey. Both stronger coffees and cost about $1.50 a pound. I also picked up 2 different pounds of Costa Rican coffee beans while in Costa Rica. Not as good as the Honduran IMHO. But I like to find coffee around the world while traveling.

I went to a country side village in Honduras that I bought a 12oz Cafe Mocha and this Guava jelly filled cookie for not even $1 US. It was really, really good.

I love Intelligentsia (it's a local Chicago place that ships everywhere).

Their Black Cat Blend makes the best French Press I've ever had.

I drink Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Mocha from The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (Coffee Snob) but I have ordered some of MrJerry's KILLER BEANS! So I might become a convert :D

We have a local fresh market that has about a dozen or more different types of gourmet coffee. best part is that the prices are very reasonable.

Lately i've been getting the jamaican blue mountain, and the Costa Rican tres Rios.

Both are very good.