• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's Your Latest Purchase - 2018

I've always wondered.. why hip hop? It's not music, it's more like poetry... does it give you a feeling of the "hood" or appeal to some radical bone in your body... still wondering...
Hip hop is a varied and diverse culture/art form. It was born in the streets in the Bronx NY. It is as American as the blues and Rock n Roll. There are several artists that actually do perform with instruments, see The Roots from Philadelphia PA, aka the Tonight show with Jimmy Fallon band. Are all hip hop artists great? Nope. Personally, I think most of what has come out post 2010 blows. The recognized forms of expression are Graffiti,MC’ing (Rapping/Storytelling),Bboy(beak dancing)DJing, knowledge (of culture). I grew up in both urban and rural settings, I’ve always considered myself a bit of a “renegade”. Sadly, like many things, it’s very easy to focus on the negative.

But, to each thier own. It’s not for everyone, but it is and had always been inclusive.

C

35487957_10216255917860450_8459319787510562816_n.jpg

Time to get this summer break started! :D

~Boar

Like I said (many times) before, I don't understand...

I can't tell you (in public) where the following came from, but I can tell you that every one of these cigars for sale are at the most half the cost of your oneoff's and I would bet the farm that they are twice as good, with 10 times the aging potential...

These are average prices, that are seen every day:

Monte No 4’s - 25/25 - GEO JUN 15 - $141

Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 2 - 25/25 - PTR DIC 16 - $185

Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 1 - 25/25 - SEA FEB 16 - $185

HDM Epicure No 2 - 25/25 - BMS JUL 16 - $220

H. Upmann Petit Corona -25/25 - MEG MAR 16 - $155

H.Upmann Epicure: 25 Box 81.00

Partagas - Petit Coronas Especiales 25 count box - $106

Partagas - Serie D No.4 25 count box $199

Why wouldn't everyone want to smoke the best cigars in the world... for less money??

CM, your explanation of hip-hop was very informative. Ive done keyboard for 68 years. I don’t see the redeeming value of HH, more so after 2010. However, the one thing that pulls my chain is the 2000 watt amplification of this music ( a.k.a. Boom boxes ). The truly sad thing is no one realizes what they are doing to there hearing. Thank you for sharing your views.

Hip hop is a varied and diverse culture/art form. It was born in the streets in the Bronx NY. It is as American as the blues and Rock n Roll. There are several artists that actually do perform with instruments, see The Roots from Philadelphia PA, aka the Tonight show with Jimmy Fallon band. Are all hip hop artists great? Nope. Personally, I think most of what has come out post 2010 blows. The recognized forms of expression are Graffiti,MC’ing (Rapping/Storytelling),Bboy(beak dancing)DJing, knowledge (of culture). I grew up in both urban and rural settings, I’ve always considered myself a bit of a “renegade”. Sadly, like many things, it’s very easy to focus on the negative.

But, to each thier own. It’s not for everyone, but it is and had always been inclusive.

C
I respect you for your view, and I have to admit that I did like some of the stuff my son was listening to 20 years ago... but it had music, melody and soul... today's stuff is really out there... imo

I can't tell you (in public) where the following came from, but I can tell you that every one of these cigars for sale are at the most half the cost of your oneoff's and I would bet the farm that they are twice as good, with 10 times the aging potential...

Why wouldn't everyone want to smoke the best cigars in the world... for less money??

I just reall dig Dion's stuff. Illusione, Warped, and the LP Goldies are close to the only NC's I keep more than a couple boxes of. No clue how the OneOffs will be, but he has a solid track record. For me it's like food, sometimes I want a Warped or Illusione as much as any Cuban. With the low number I'll buy and the length of time it takes me to burn through them, the $15 per stick isn't too much of a factor. The large majority of my dollars will always go to Cubans though.

Edited to add: If the H-Town Illusione Lanceros ever become available again, I'd go $20 per stick on those all day long.

Last edited:

At the price I got the coronas, I could have opted for. 10 ct box of Petit Edmundos, PSD4, Bolívar RC tubos, H Upmamn majestic (25), HDM Le Hoyo de San Juan, HDM petite robustos (15), Por Larrañaga Panatelas (25), Punch Punch tubos, RyJ Mille Fleurs (10x2), RyJ wide Churchill’s, and a few others.

I try and hoarde what Cuban sticks I do have. Yes Cuban tobacco is delicious and many marcas/vitolas are excellent, however, these “cubanesque” and boutique brands, in my opinion, can hold thier own. There are a few illusiones,tats, and warped sticks that in my opinion are great, even some Fuentes and Padrons.

I like the fact that there are some NC vendors that get you your order zippy quick, as opposed to playing the waiting game for 2-3 weeks with CC’s. Also, there’s zero risk of confiscation.

Can’t wait for the end of the embargo so we can see what maestro tabaqueros can do with blends including Cuban tobacco.

That will be phenomenal!

C

At the price I got the coronas, I could have opted for. 10 ct box of Petit Edmundos, PSD4, Bolívar RC tubos, H Upmamn majestic (25), HDM Le Hoyo de San Juan, HDM petite robustos (15), Por Larrañaga Panatelas (25), Punch Punch tubos, RyJ Mille Fleurs (10x2), RyJ wide Churchill’s, and a few others.

I try and hoarde what Cuban sticks I do have. Yes Cuban tobacco is delicious and many marcas/vitolas are excellent, however, these “cubanesque” and boutique brands, in my opinion, can hold thier own. There are a few illusiones,tats, and warped sticks that in my opinion are great, even some Fuentes and Padrons.

I like the fact that there are some NC vendors that get you your order zippy quick, as opposed to playing the waiting game for 2-3 weeks with CC’s. Also, there’s zero risk of confiscation.

Can’t wait for the end of the embargo so we can see what maestro tabaqueros can do with blends including Cuban tobacco.

That will be phenomenal!

C
Agreed- that "bale of pre-embargo Cuban tobacco" someone found next to Jimmy Hoffa's grave 25 years ago or so HAS to be running low by now!

There are some NC blending geniuses. Dream collabs- Skip Martin with Partagas, Dion with RyJ, and Kyle Gellis with Upmann.

CM, your explanation of hip-hop was very informative. Ive done keyboard for 68 years. I don’t see the redeeming value of HH, more so after 2010. However, the one thing that pulls my chain is the 2000 watt amplification of this music ( a.k.a. Boom boxes ). The truly sad thing is no one realizes what they are doing to there hearing. Thank you for sharing your views.
Keep in mind that attending Rock concerts and or electronic music concerts/festivals, or any live show for that matter, can, over time, damage your hearing.

As for a redeeming value, it is what it is my man. Again. Not necessarily for everyone. Can the lyrical content be offensive, raw, and violent? Yes. It is a reflection of said artist and the story they are sharing.

I see it not too unsimilar from folk music, or protest tunes. For me, again, it does speak to my inner rebel.

That will be phenomenal!

C
As you have said earlier, to each his own... Again, I respect your comments and point of view.

I guess I am super sensitive to Malik Acid. MA is an organic compound found abundantly in the soil around the world. It is the same compound that gives "green apples" their sour taste. It is very abundant in the Dominican Republic, Honduras and Nicaragua. The only place on the planet that does not have an abundance of MA in the soil is Cuba. The government (here and in Canada) actually developed a test (later deemed too expensive and labor intensive) that uses an extremely reliable method based on gas chromatographic/mass spectrometric (GC/MS) profiling of nonvolatile organic acids in cigars. It was decided (based on these tests) that the amount of Malik Acid was the determining factor between cuban and non cuban cigars... I do taste the "tartness" in non cuban cigars, and maybe it is my imagination that amplifies it... but it is very clear to me.

For the most part I have to say i agree with you but I also live by; smoke what you like and like what you smoke....opinions very.....

Took a break from buying John's EL's to grab a flash sale. December 15 batch, so they should be good to go after cooling off for a while.

View attachment 20896
I’ve been power smoking those for close to a year. They remind me of the old #2s more than the current #2s. The ‘14 & ‘15s are smoking great. I put some away as well. Hits my pallet perfectly.